“Give it a go”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Having had a family lunch here a few months ago we were looking forward to joining a group of friends for a Saturday evening meal. Surprisingly the restaurant was barely half full and was lacking atmosphere. There was a good selection to choose from on the menu all of which was reasonably priced. I had a whole sea bream which was perfectly cooked. There were in general good comments from everyone about the quality of the food and good service. One downside was some choice language from some of the locals sitting in the bar particularly one woman who was quite partial to the F word.

Despite that we all had an enjoyable time and the bill was more than reasonable

I would say however that although credit us due to the owners for the improvements that have been made since they arrived the dining room needs to be given more attention. It is too drab and not very inviting. It is such a large room and unless it is full to the rafters then it will always be difficult to create a good dining experience. This place has excellent potential and I sincerely hope that local diners give it some support
By the way what the pub doesn't lack is good beer and a fine selection to boot. We did however a problem with a southern comfort drink which was resolved without any fuss.
Give it a go!!!!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

When we arrived the staff seemed far more interested in the football they were watching than acknowledging that we had arrived. I felt the menu was very limited and quite expensive. Two of our party chose nachos for starters from the specials board, priced at £5,50, which when it arrived seemed to be a bowl of second grade tortilla chips with one jalapeño chopped on it, sprinkle with a very small amount of cheese and grilled which was shockingly poor value for money. The burgers three of us ordered were overcooked and bland and came with no garnish again very overpriced at £10.95. We noticed that another party had to send food back several times for it to be prepared satisfactorily and whilst we were there 2 couples came in surveyed the menu and left when they had finished their dinks without ordering and with hindsight I really wish we had done the same thing! If they don't improve on how the food is prepared I don't see a very long future for this establishment. We will definitely not be going back any time soon.

1  Thank Caroline C
Chris J, Owner at Overstone Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Hi, firstly I would like to apologise if your evening with us was as bad as you state it was, and to ensure you that I take these kind of comments very seriously and personal. My only issue is that I am having to do this online and not as I would expect to, face to face and with some dignity. I can confirm that another table sent their food back but this was because they had ordered rare steaks that they felt were slightly under done, obviously this was rectified by cooking them for a little longer. I'm sorry you will not be joining us again but if you don't mind I would like to offer a small piece of advise for your future dining out experiences where ever they may be, it is more advantageous to all to speak to a member of the management at the time of your grievance and sort it in an amicable manner than to go down this route. Again I would like to offer my apologies and assure you I will take all matters of this nature very seriously. Kind Regards.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Had a fantastic evening with friends at the Overstone Arms.
The delicious food was presented well and arrived piping hot on hot plates (it still amazes me that some eateries still dont do this).The service was friendly and attentive but not overbearing.
we will be returning!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

6 friends went on Saturday evening and all had a lovely meal , we chose many different items between us and all were given the thumbs up. we noted that the tables in the restaurant were not too close together another plus- we hate it when we are packed in . However we were disturbed by children running about until at least 9.45pm. This is not a pub with a children's area and whilst we could have appreciated it if children were eating with a party we felt this detracted from the atmosphere and we would think twice about returning even though the meal and service were very good.

2  Thank Tilly168
Reviewed 4 April 2014

returning to the Overstone Arms after hearing it had been taken over was a very pleasant suprise as we had had a terrible meal there when the previous owners had it, but we decided to give it another try as it is local to us.The restaurant was very busy as was the bar but the lady serving quickly found us a table and got our drinks.The menu for lunch was varied with sandwiches, salads and a selection of hot meals. We decided to have ham, egg and chips which was fabulous. the ham was home cooked and chips where homemade and huge!!
I highly recommend anyone to go here for a midweek lunch..it has a great atmosphere, very friendly and helpful staff and amazing food.
well done the Overstone!