“Very disappointed :-(” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Kettering
southampton
“Very disappointed :-(”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here Saturday night, having been across country sightseeing, I thought a spa hotel would be the perfect end to a great few days. I specifically chose this hotel because of the reviews on TripAdvisor.

As a surprise for my husband, I had booked a suite (the Shire Inns Suite Experience to be exact). On arrival at the hotel, it was clear a wedding was taking place by the guests milling around the entrance, having the smoking section here is not a great idea as guests congregated at the entrance of the hotel quite frequently blocking the path.

I was looking forward to the great service we were to expect, however the Receptionist barely cracked a smile at check in, taking my card for prepayment, booking us a table for dinner and handing us our key cards for the room and directing us to our room. I had prepaid £29 per person for dinner, this was not explained to me at check in nor was anything else. We were quite disappointed as we were sent on our way.

On the way to our room, we heard shouting down the corridor. Thinking it was guests, we were shocked to see members of housekeeping shouting down the corridor at each other (not in an angry way, but getting the others attention). Even when we appeared round the corner in view, one of them didn't stop shouting down to the other.

Now, I am not a person that moans about things (ever) however I was really disappointed with our suite. The Shire Inns website details their suites as "our exclusive suites have been designed to offer you unadulterated style, ample space and luxurious surroundings. Exquisitely appointed, our generous suites all offer king-size beds and a tranquil environment where privacy prevails amidst impeccable attention to detail". Our suite wasn't well appointed (it overlooked the rear car park and you could hear the roar of the A14 outside. I was looking for the attention to detail when I noticed the dust collected on the lamps and table. Maybe I was being too finicky but I was disappointed. So I looked at the fridge for the complimentary alcoholic and soft drinks. 2 bottles of Peroni, 2 small bottles of diet coke, 2 orange juices a half size bottle of Chardonnay and a bottle of water. This was promising, so I looked at my booking form to confirm what else I had paid for; Complimentary satellite TV (isn't this a given in most 4* hotels?), Complimentary wi fi (could not get this in our room (both O2), only in the bar area), Bose CD player (looked for this everywhere but could not find it), Fridge stocked with lager, wine and soft drinks (yes, great!), Nespresso coffee making machine (yes, good), fresh fruit (if you consider 3 apples, one of which had seen better days and was wrinkly), Bvlgari toiletries (nope, had ESPA toiletries), Complimentary use of extensive spa which features a 13m pool, spa pool, sauna, steam room and fully equipped gymnasium (yes, we used these facilities, but were not overwhelmed especially as pool was full of kids that were being thrown around by parents), Complimentary car parking (yes, however the hotel is located in a business park and I understand all parking at the hotel is complimentary?). I felt the Suite Experience severely lacked in what was sold to me.

I was dreading dinner at this point. However, we went to the bar (where the wedding party guests were in full swing at the bar - no room to sit). We were served quickly and whilst the barman was getting our drinks, we were asked 3 other times if we were being served. This was the service I thought we were to receive everywhere in the hotel.

After being seated for dinner, our orders were taken and drinks bought out. Our waitress (and in fact all the restaurant staff) were lovely and we never waited too long for anything in the restaurant. The food was delicious and I chose one of the specials for the night, we both cleared our plates on every course. This was the highlight of our stay. The rating awarded to this hotel is entirely due to the restaurant. Our waitress had to go and ask about my prepayment for dinner as neither of us knew what it meant (if this had been explained at check in, it would have eased any concerns I had).

Around 1am we heard people in the corridor, we weren't sure if these were part of the wedding party or other guests, but this didn't match up to our "tranquil environment" we were hoping for.

I think the saddest part of the whole stay was the breakfast, which we paid for room service. Cornflakes (which were soggy as the milk had already been poured in), no teas or coffee or orange juice and finally, a sausage/bacon and egg bagel as our cooked breakfast. If i had wanted this kind of breakfast I would have gone to Macdonalds. We didn't eat it all, and quickly packed and checked out.

I was waiting for the Receptionist to ask us how our stay was, so I could point out these problems, but she didn't... and we didn't have the heart or inclination to do so, so we paid up (a whopping £315ish for one night).

Very disappointed with this 4* hotel (in comparison, see my review of Macdonald Windsor, another 4* hotel on a completely different level to this one). The best thing about this hotel is the restaurant.

Based on my experience here, I wouldn't recommend this hotel nor would I stay here again, and I am sorry to say that as you will see from all of my previous reviews, I always try to make the best, but this hotel really let us down, on its service (not inc the bar or restaurant) and on the package we received.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
KetteringManager, Gareth Ireland - General Manager at Kettering Park Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for you us. It was good to have the opportunity to talk with you on the phone about your stay, and to be able to extend a personal apology for the areas where we fell short of our normal standards.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and know that we’ll be doing all we can to demonstrate that this was a one-off lapse for us.

Gareth Ireland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Slovak first
leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on 3rd floor in a suite. The hotel inside looks so much different from the outside, it has character and has a nice feel about the place. Very happy with the room and the staff are attentive and welcoming. We were here just for one night at a wedding party. Had the breakfast in the morning and it was very good with lots of choice. Would stay here again if we had to choose a place in Kettering in the future.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
KetteringManager, Gareth Ireland - General Manager at Kettering Park Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Kettering Park Hotel & Spa. The team are always delighted to receive such positive feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,

LittleBitBritish
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Got married here, great hotel, very happy we choose this hotel. Decor was perfect and planner took care of most details. Highly recommended! The room we were married in was wood paneled and very intimate for a as all wedding.

Room Tip: Get a suite we had the Thomas Tresham, bathroom size was unbelievably large!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Congratulations, and thank you for taking the time to leave your comments following your special day with us here.

We wish you all the best for the future, and hope to see you back here again soon.

Worksop, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at this Hotel in April on business.

Reception and booking was smooth.
Was allocated a room on the second floor next to lift so as I am a light sleeper asked if another room was available and even though hotel was quite full they did quickly find me a room on 3rd floor which was excellent service.

Room was well furnished and good quality toiletries in the bathroom

As I was on business did not get chance to use the pool, gym of spa but these did look good

Although the room had a good floor area the room itself felt a bit claustrophobic as it had a sloping roof and attic type window which I understand from other colleagues who have stayed there is typical due to the building construction.

I had room service for evening meal which was of a good quality and well presented. There was a "Room Service" menu but you could order from the main restaurant menu also which is good

Room Service was excellent and reasonably quick ( around 30 mins) .

Breakfast was excellent with a waitress serving you the cooked breakfast if you requested

The Hotel is part of a small chain and the impression I got was they do give a more personal service at a good price

Overall a good Hotel well situated off the A14 with good facilities

Would definitely go again if I was in the area again either on business or pleasure
They do appear to do short breaks which from the hotel info appears to be good value for money

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from A14 side if you want to leave window open
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
KetteringManager, General Manager at Kettering Park Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.

I am pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay and that we where able to accommodate your request for a different room.

It's always pleasing to get such comments, and I know the team will be delighted to read these to, so thank you.

We hope we'll be welcoming you back in the near future.

Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was invited to attend this hotel to receive an award. This was my first visit to Kettering and what a pleasant surprise to find that l had been booked to such a fabulous hotel from arrival to departure I was made feel special by all grades of staff. Rooms were spacious and clean and the dinner & breakfast were cooked to perfection. I would certainly return here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the lovely comments about the hotel and in particular the team who work here. I know they'll be delighted to learn of your comments.

We look forward to being able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Quite simply fabulous property, fabulous Staff all intent on making my stay a pleasure. The health club and swimming pool are well maintained with expert staff looking after all guests needs. I have lived in the middle east for many years and we regularly stay in five star hotels in Bahrain and Dubai, the Kettering Park rivals all and betters most!
Thanks for having me,

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room close to reception.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your wholly positive review.

I know the team will be delighted to learn of your comments.

Hopefully we'll be welcoming you back to the hotel sooner rather than later.

Kind Regards
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

The Kettering Park Hotel & Spa right beside the busy A14, surrounded by lots of trees and shrubbery and looking like so many other ‘business’ hotels on yet another business park. Once inside however it has a far more traditional ambiance and a ‘solid fee.’

My 4th floor room was a good size and well-appointed with good solid furniture and wardrobes instead of frequently seen chipboard cupboards with flappy doors on. The window looked out over shrubbery that covers several earthwork Bunds that surround the hotel and account for its quietness. Despite its close proximity to the road there was no traffic noise at all.
Magnificent bed – very comfortable.
I liked that the sound from television & radio is carried through to a speaker in the bathroom allowing guests to listen to music or follow the news during ablutions.

I also very much appreciated that the fridge contained a small carton of fresh milk – not the usual ‘sticks’ or plastic cups of UHT milk . . . [often out of date]. Small but very welcome touch.

The grounds are present and again quiet and peaceful with plenty of varied seating that includes deck chairs . . . something I've not seen elsewhere. The hotel swimming pool is right at the center of the building and has an outdoor patio area. That together with the deck chairs gives a nice relaxed atmosphere.
There is a trellised outdoor dining area too.

A wedding party was at the hotel at the same time as the conference I was attending and with the hotel being on a commercial park it may not be everybody’s obvious first choice – but it seemed to work and work well. The hotel and its grounds should prove a nice venue for a wedding.

Wheelchair access throughout is good too.

I am a solo traveler of a somewhat more ‘mature vintage’ and as such often invisible to staff and frequently overlooked. But not so here. A receptionist gave me a patient and polite, idiots guide to Wi-Fi internet connecting [a complementary service!] and a casual inquiry to the waitress about a dish resulted in a young man was summoned to go through the entire menu with me in detail. Interested and wanting to be helpful.

Dinner for me in the end was posh fish and chips. A huge cod wrapped in a crispy, crunchy Wainwrights Ale batter, served with chips, mushy peas, tarragon sauce and all served in – ‘newspaper.’ Not actually a real newspaper but catering grease-proof printed as The Sunday Times. My reproduction copy contained an article from the 1960’s [?] about the Berlin Wall, with quotes from President J.F. Kennedy and Premier Nikita Khrushchev. Very different!
Desert was a scrumptious, luxuriant summer red berry Pavlova [- perhaps inspired by the Berlin Wall?] with cream and ice cream . . . and only 250,000 calories!

The bar stocks a good selection of wines, spirits and beers and includes draft Wainwrights Bitter’s, brewed by Thwaites of Blackburn, and on a warm sunny evening what could be nicer than a glass or three of their bright, clean, golden brew!

Breakfast is buffet style with a wide selection but additional fare cooked to order on request. [eg: Salmon & scrambled eggs.]

That I enjoyed my stay is in no small part to the comfortable and welcoming atmosphere and a courteous, helpful and cheerful staff. There is an attention to details – those small touches that do make all the difference. Clearly those working at the hotel enjoy their work and take pride in their hotel – that much is obvious and another real difference.

I would have no hesitation in recommending The Kettering Park Hotel & Spa to business and leisure travelers alike. Well done – Thank you!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KetteringManager, General Manager at Kettering Park Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments following your recent stay.

I'm delighted to learn that you've had a great time with us, hopefully we'll be seeing you again sooner rather than later.

I'm always pleased to read such lovely comments and to know that the small details such as fresh milk, which to us are just a standard as we've included fresh milk for guests for many years now, but to know it's still appreciated is fantastic.

I know the team will be delighted to learn of your comments, so thank you.

Gareth Ireland - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kettering
Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa
Premier Inn Kettering Hotel
Highgate House Hotel
Highgate House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Creaton

Been to Kettering Park Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!