“Excellent hotel”

Kettering Park Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Kettering
Reviewed 9 June 2014

On average I use this hotel at least one night a week and have done for many years. Felt it was time to write a review. Not worth deliberating on the areas that don't deliver as they are few and far between. This place really is excellent, the food, staff and overall experience at this hotel are first class

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul T
KetteringManager, General Manager at Kettering Park Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review.

It's always nice to read such lovely comments and I know the team will be delighted to learn that their efforts are recognised.

We know it's hard being away from friends and family so we're glad we can help make the experience a little less taxing and a lot more enjoyable.

Hopefully we'll be able to continue to welcome you over the coming months and years.

Gareth

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We went away for our anniversary weekend and found this place was excellent the food was great the spa relaxing room lovely and comfortable would recommend a visit and don't be put off by the fact it is just off the A14 we did not here any traffic noise they also do weddings and have a great venue for this there were 2, weddings while we visited. Just down the road there is a retail park and Odeon cinema and it's only a short drive into Kettering itself.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for leaving a review, I know the team will be delighted to learn of your comments. I'm delighted to learn that we were able to help make your anniversary what it should be, enjoyable and special.

Hopefully we'll be able to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Overall, it is a very nice hotel, the rooms are well equipped and well decorated, location is pretty good for the town and it's amenities, and also for access to the A14, although depending on how sensitive you are to noise, it could be an issue, as the road is very close to the hotel, and although the secondary double glazing does mute most of it, there is still a low level of background traffic noise.

Fresh milk and complimentary water in the fridge are always welcomed, as was the well stocked tea and coffee making facilities.

Beds are comfortable, en-suite bathroom is nice, although the shower was a bit hit and miss and seemed to run hot and cold throughout.

The onsite restaurant was also nice, we had dinner on a Saturday evening and it wasn't very busy, it's reasonably priced, and of good quality, service was also good.

Breakfast was also of good quality, the granola in particular was very nice, there was a good selection of cereals, pastries and hot food, pretty much everything you'd expect, service again was good.

Now the flaws, front of house service was poor, there was no information provided on check-in, we were just told where our room was, and nothing else, it would have been nice to have been given a brief summary of the amenities (spa times, breakfast / dinner times and locations etc etc), but there was nothing, which is a shame as this is the first impression that you get when you check in, obviously you can ask, but in a 4 star hotel, you really shouldn't have too.

On to the spa, the pool is nice, and the whirlpool, sauna and steamroom are all very nice, but the lack of comfortable seating, and area's to relax in was disappointing, for a hotel this size, the number of loungers is very limited, plus you get people putting their towels on the loungers early and just leaving them there, which is unfortunate as the only places left to sit are on the hard upright seating scattered around the edge of the pool.

Overall, value for money is very good, and the hotel in general is very good, if the flaws with the front of house could be corrected, and the spa seating somehow improved it would be an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for you us. I'd like to extend a personal apology for the areas where we fell short of our normal standards. I will be working with the team to review and address your comments.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and know that we’ll be doing all we can to demonstrate the normal high standards of service we are renowned for.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Different room types, wonderful service and excellent food. Spent there several weeks during winter. Was lovely experience coming back to the rooms after work. The food is really good and so is the spa.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
KetteringManager, General Manager at Kettering Park Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

I'm delighted to learn that whilst staying with us for a period of time you managed to feel relaxed and comfortable and we're able to enjoy some of the great dishes from the menu we have.

Hopefully you'll be able to return soon, whether for work or pleasure.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I went here for my hen weekend with a few friends and we did the sunday serenity spa break. The facilities are lovely and i had a facial which was very relaxing. The afternoon tea was nice and we all had an evening meal. The service was lovely, my only criticism is how slow everything took. Our rooms weren't ready to check in at 2, we had to wait an hour to get the keys. We also waited over an hour for our evening meals to arrive and 15 minutes for cocktails to be made. Breakfast was lovely. The break is fantastic value for money though and i would consider returning.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kirsty K

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the Sunday Serenity stay here at the hotel. I do apologise for the couple of shortfalls in the service you experienced, I will be addressing these with the team.

Hopefully we'll be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have stayed, dinned, swam, attended functions, seen shows and even had my wedding reception here over a decade ago and not once have i ever been disappointed the service is outstanding the food is divine and the spa is relaxing. My latest visit (may 2014) was for a wedding reception and evening do we booked a room and for the first time at this hotel had the children stay with us so had a family room, very impressed the layout of the room was good and there was even complimentary juice drinks and chocolate bars in the fridge for the boys. As always we were made to feel very welcome and the breakfast in the morning was as fantastic as it was the very first time we stayed. The only little downside to this place is the bar prices but it is no different to any other luxury hotel that i have stayed in. Overall i love this hotel and wish i could afford to stay more often!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve C

It's always a pleasure to learn that what we are doing is pitched right, and I am delighted to learn that you enjoy your visits to the hotel.

Hopefully we'll be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here Saturday night, having been across country sightseeing, I thought a spa hotel would be the perfect end to a great few days. I specifically chose this hotel because of the reviews on TripAdvisor.

As a surprise for my husband, I had booked a suite (the Shire Inns Suite Experience to be exact). On arrival at the hotel, it was clear a wedding was taking place by the guests milling around the entrance, having the smoking section here is not a great idea as guests congregated at the entrance of the hotel quite frequently blocking the path.

I was looking forward to the great service we were to expect, however the Receptionist barely cracked a smile at check in, taking my card for prepayment, booking us a table for dinner and handing us our key cards for the room and directing us to our room. I had prepaid £29 per person for dinner, this was not explained to me at check in nor was anything else. We were quite disappointed as we were sent on our way.

On the way to our room, we heard shouting down the corridor. Thinking it was guests, we were shocked to see members of housekeeping shouting down the corridor at each other (not in an angry way, but getting the others attention). Even when we appeared round the corner in view, one of them didn't stop shouting down to the other.

Now, I am not a person that moans about things (ever) however I was really disappointed with our suite. The Shire Inns website details their suites as "our exclusive suites have been designed to offer you unadulterated style, ample space and luxurious surroundings. Exquisitely appointed, our generous suites all offer king-size beds and a tranquil environment where privacy prevails amidst impeccable attention to detail". Our suite wasn't well appointed (it overlooked the rear car park and you could hear the roar of the A14 outside. I was looking for the attention to detail when I noticed the dust collected on the lamps and table. Maybe I was being too finicky but I was disappointed. So I looked at the fridge for the complimentary alcoholic and soft drinks. 2 bottles of Peroni, 2 small bottles of diet coke, 2 orange juices a half size bottle of Chardonnay and a bottle of water. This was promising, so I looked at my booking form to confirm what else I had paid for; Complimentary satellite TV (isn't this a given in most 4* hotels?), Complimentary wi fi (could not get this in our room (both O2), only in the bar area), Bose CD player (looked for this everywhere but could not find it), Fridge stocked with lager, wine and soft drinks (yes, great!), Nespresso coffee making machine (yes, good), fresh fruit (if you consider 3 apples, one of which had seen better days and was wrinkly), Bvlgari toiletries (nope, had ESPA toiletries), Complimentary use of extensive spa which features a 13m pool, spa pool, sauna, steam room and fully equipped gymnasium (yes, we used these facilities, but were not overwhelmed especially as pool was full of kids that were being thrown around by parents), Complimentary car parking (yes, however the hotel is located in a business park and I understand all parking at the hotel is complimentary?). I felt the Suite Experience severely lacked in what was sold to me.

I was dreading dinner at this point. However, we went to the bar (where the wedding party guests were in full swing at the bar - no room to sit). We were served quickly and whilst the barman was getting our drinks, we were asked 3 other times if we were being served. This was the service I thought we were to receive everywhere in the hotel.

After being seated for dinner, our orders were taken and drinks bought out. Our waitress (and in fact all the restaurant staff) were lovely and we never waited too long for anything in the restaurant. The food was delicious and I chose one of the specials for the night, we both cleared our plates on every course. This was the highlight of our stay. The rating awarded to this hotel is entirely due to the restaurant. Our waitress had to go and ask about my prepayment for dinner as neither of us knew what it meant (if this had been explained at check in, it would have eased any concerns I had).

Around 1am we heard people in the corridor, we weren't sure if these were part of the wedding party or other guests, but this didn't match up to our "tranquil environment" we were hoping for.

I think the saddest part of the whole stay was the breakfast, which we paid for room service. Cornflakes (which were soggy as the milk had already been poured in), no teas or coffee or orange juice and finally, a sausage/bacon and egg bagel as our cooked breakfast. If i had wanted this kind of breakfast I would have gone to Macdonalds. We didn't eat it all, and quickly packed and checked out.

I was waiting for the Receptionist to ask us how our stay was, so I could point out these problems, but she didn't... and we didn't have the heart or inclination to do so, so we paid up (a whopping £315ish for one night).

Very disappointed with this 4* hotel (in comparison, see my review of Macdonald Windsor, another 4* hotel on a completely different level to this one). The best thing about this hotel is the restaurant.

Based on my experience here, I wouldn't recommend this hotel nor would I stay here again, and I am sorry to say that as you will see from all of my previous reviews, I always try to make the best, but this hotel really let us down, on its service (not inc the bar or restaurant) and on the package we received.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
KetteringManager, Gareth Ireland - General Manager at Kettering Park Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for you us. It was good to have the opportunity to talk with you on the phone about your stay, and to be able to extend a personal apology for the areas where we fell short of our normal standards.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and know that we’ll be doing all we can to demonstrate that this was a one-off lapse for us.

Best wishes
Gareth Ireland

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kettering
Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa
Travelodge Kettering
Travelodge Kettering
#5 of 7 in Kettering
Park Inn by Radisson Northampton

Been to Kettering Park Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!