“Is your lasagne heated all the way through?”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kilsby
Reviewed 19 January 2013

After enjoying some good meals at The George I am most disappointed to report on a disastrous one! On this occasion I had chosen the meat lasagne for my main course. When our meals arrived they looked lovely but as I cut into my lasagne I realised that it wasn't heated all the way through, it was stone cold in the middle. My meal was returned to the kitchen and a fresh one was prepared, however it was the same as the previous one! The meal was taken away, hating waste I suggested that the lasagne was just heated some more, big mistake! The meal returned with 'hot' salad!! At this point I gave up, I had sat and watched my partner eat his meal, eating in relays is not really my idea of eating out. We were on our way home after a long journey and thought we would eat at The George to save bothering at home, as we often did, I ended up with some toast!!
This is not the usual standard of service, but beware if you order the lasagne!
We have not eaten there since.

1  Thank Chillikaz

Reviewed 15 December 2012

Big family gathering, so alot of people to serve and nothing was too much trouble, service was top class, food was excellent, good beer choice, excellent wine list, accomodated children - overall - excellent! :) THANK YOU

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jenny P
Reviewed 12 November 2012

maggie is a great hostess, she always makes her guests welcome, i have eaten in there a few times, and people have come for miles for her lovely food and refreshing beers, the menu, not what you might call pug grub cheap, for just a couple of pounds extra you get a very very tasty meal, i certainly prefer to pay a little more and be totally satisfied. keep up the good work maggie.

Room Tip: I have never stayed over night as i live localy, but everywhere was clean and tidy, maggie is always...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I have given this a 3 as I would describe the food as good, not very good. I think it could be better if cooked better I think some of the food is over cooked. I had the cod in prawn sauce which was good but over cooked, vegetable were ok and desserts really nice. I would say give it a go and see what you think. The atmosphere in the restaurant is nice and the service was good. There is also a reasonable choice of menu I would say better than your average pub grub. I would return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Kilsby is moreorless the centre of England. It's where the motorways and railways meet and explode into a mess of box-like warehouses and grim silent backroads lined with big trucks.
Yet in the ancient village of Kilsby, on the Roman Watling Street - later to become the Holyhead Road - the George Inn has sat dispensing pies, ale and a bed for the night to passers-by for centuries.
Today, the main road has shifted 30 feet away, leaving this venerable old inn on a truncated spur, but the real traffic is a mile away on the M1.
The pub atmosphere has gone though, to be replaced by a classy gastropub interior - all stripped wood, and linen-covered chairs. The pub area feels more like a restaurant waiting area, sadly. I don't think they quite have it right.
The food is superb and "worth a journey" as the famous red guidebook says. Everything is done in a stylish manner, yet still remains very simple. We were impressed particularly by the range of vegetarian dishes, not just as an afterthought but innovative and purposeful vegetarian options.
If you are halfway up the M1 and would prefer something other than the motorway services, the George at Kilby is a winner. Try to find time to wander round the old village, and see if you can spot the scale model of the Kilsby railway tunnel which goes under the village. It's in a front garden just round the corner from The George.
Will we go back? You can depend on it!

Reviewed 5 October 2012

The food at the george is amazing and the atmosphere is brilliant, being a smaller pub/hotel it can be very easy for guests to feel unwelcome by the regulars but that doesn't happen here at all! the staff are lovely especially maggie the owner and as i said before the food is amazing mostly locally sourced and made on the premises. A sa fussy eater i sometimes find it hard to get a meal that is 100% right in a restaurant but the george gets it right every time. I would recommend the sunday lunch menu to anyone that wants to try the food and there is a deal so you can get two courses for reasonable price. The food isnt cheap otherwise but believe me you get what you pay for and i have never left the george feeling that my meal wasn't good value for money. I'm now just waiting for them to bottle the stunning salad dressing they make so i can buy it and use it at home as well!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lisa G
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We eat at The George regularly, almost weekly.
The food is homemade and consistently good.
Our treat is their fillet steak, locally sourced and cooked to perfection! All food is always served piping hot,except the salads of course!
Staff are friendly and service is efficient. Occasionally bit of a wait for food if busy, because it is all freshly cooked, but well worth it.

1  Thank Chillikaz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilsby
Ibis Rugby East
#1 of 1 in Creaton
Hopping Hare
Hopping Hare
#3 of 27 in Northampton

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!