“Beautiful outside dining area.”
Review of Talbot Hotel

Talbot Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oundle
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Beautiful outside dining area.”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I work in Oundle and have been looking forward to seeing the results of the makeover. The public areas are totally transformed and very comfortable. I have eaten here twice. Once for lunch and once in the early evening with work colleagues. There is a really good choice of sandwiches and light meals, as well as the full menu. The salmon salad was delicious and my companion enjoyed the crab very much.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
, Owner at Talbot Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words of praise. I am delighted that you like our selection of light bites and full menu. We serve food from 8.00am each morning, allowing customers to have a full breakfast, pastries and coffee or tea in the morning. For lunch and dinner we offer our full menu. I have passed on your comments to our Head Chef and his team. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Regards
General Manager John Robinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

Went for lunch - lovely renovation.

The service is very poor - waited 15mins just for someone to ask me what I wanted to drink- so I went over to the manager and asked for two drinks, 10 mind later they came over and said - do you want a drink!!!! Then when I got my drink they said sorry for the wait walked away without taking our food order! Left after having the drinks, would have had food, looked nice but unless the service gets fixed they will loose customers like us who could have spent over £60 on food.
Come on guys sort it out!!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Superally2007
Aussie in London
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Lots of potential for an all-round great stay at this up-market conversion of an Oundle accommodation favourite. The 'faded glory' rooms of the previous incarnation are gone, replaced by a sensitive renovation that focuses on the 17th century features of this hostelry, combined with comfy modern features. No faulting the actual hotel.
It's the eating side of the establishment where things fell apart for us... Afternoon tea was greatly delayed, then protracted, by short staff - short in number... Perhaps! Short in effectiveness and general civility... Certainly! Staff refused to look at patrons - not just us - who were trying place orders. After forcing the issue, cream teas arrived after too long a wait, with no cutlery - or tea. Enquiring with the four young chaps chatting behind the counter elicited the unwelcome observation that 'we're very busy'. Well, busy yes, but not that busy with at least 7 staff in evidence front of house. Happily the manager, having become aware of our frustrations, did the decent thing and comped us the cream teas, apologising profusely. Breakfast next daywas a similarly delayed and amateur affair for us, however. The somewhat brusque French maitre d' took our order, but after 40 mins it transpired it had been lost - it took successively a great deal of ineffective eye-catching, several not so subtle direct enquiries and a rather terse exchange finally to produce 2 servings of salmon and scrambled eggs. The food was fine, fortunately. Can't say the same about the insipid tea that this hotel seems to serve with its meals. That, and generally better staff attention to (moderately high-paying) guests' basic needs should lie at the heart of the Talbot's future improvement. Recommend overall, but with reservations.

• Stayed June 2012
, Owner at Talbot Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, which I have found most helpful. I am delighted that you approve of the renovation project to the Talbot Hotel. We have been open for three weeks now and the team are all new. Training is an on going task at this early stage. I appreciate your comments and will ensure that they are addressed. Our tea is a loose leaf, which of course requires brewing time. I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Bristow, Virginia
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Visited here for the first time since renovation - they have done a superb job taking a charming old hotel and refitting it with nice, modern amenities. Our food was great and the service was very fine. I look forward to more visits.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2012

1 night stay following wedding in area, we had a standard room, it was very well finished and whole hotel immaculate. Fantastic high quality breakfast, even cutlery was by robert welch. Great period property that has been restored to a grand standard. Would recommend

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Hello

We had a afternoon tea in the newly refurbished hotel. Everything was fine and the setting very nice. The tea and scones were lovely. We would recommend the Talbot. The previous reviewer had an unfortunate experience and I'm glad we didn't have those problems. However having read the review I think 1 star is very very harsh. These were errors, omissions, and problems with a newly opened hotel not deliberate bad behaviour. A 2 or 3 perhaps although I understand that others are perhaps more particular than us! I suppose it depends on whether you are a glass half empty or half full person.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Owner at Talbot Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Thank you for your kind words of praise which I have passed onto my team. Your level of understanding during our opening few weeks is also very much appreciated.

Afternoon Tea is something that we are very keen to develop. We offer the Talbot Cream Tea, with freshly baked scones and clotted cream, and for something a little more indulgent we have the Talbot Afternoon Tea, with a full assortment of mouth-watering delights plus the Talbot Afternoon Tea Royale, which is accompanied with a lovely glass of bubbly.

Thank you once again for your very positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to The Talbot Hotel Eatery and Coffee House.
Oundle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

My husband and i booked Sunday lunch last week as my daughter and partner were visiting from Zurich . The staff were very friendly and efficient and the food was excellent , our beef was cooked as individually requested and the whole meal was very well presented and served by a very attentive staff member . I have now made several visits for coffee , lunch , drinks with friends etc and my only negative comment is that the coffee is a little too cold however when i have requested it to be served hotter it has been done so with no fuss ! Well done Talbot !!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Owner at Talbot Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to feed them back on Trip Advisor. The Head Chef, David and I were delighted that you enjoyed Sunday lunch at The Talbot Hotel and I have passed on your kind words of praise to the team as well. We have been monitoring the coffee temperature and we are certain that we now have it at the correct levels. We take all feedback extremely seriously, and I am pleased that we are able to discreetly correct things as required.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oundle
Barton Hall Hotel
The Three Swans Hotel
#1 of 5 in Market Harborough
The William Cecil at Stamford
Best Western Plus Peterborough Orton Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to Talbot Hotel? Share your experiences!