“Decent Red Lion pub grub back again?”
Review of The Red Lion Hotel

The Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rothwell
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I live near to The Red Lion and while I can't comment about the hotel aspect, over the years I have had various meals here, with a mixture of results in terms of the standard of the food (in the early days under the pub's management of Janice it was great, but in recent years it has been questionable). In terms of decor, following its refurbishment c. 7 years ago the pub is now beginning to look tired and unkempt in places, so I believe it's time for a lick of paint in places, and the ladies' toilets certainly need to be looked at in terms of the locks, toilet seats etc.

With a parent who was in the catering trade for over 40 years I have always been told that you can typically judge a kitchen by the cleanliness/standard of the toilets. If I was to do this at The Red Lion my expectations with the food wouldn't be great, and in the past under some of the less enthusiastic managers of this pub, I have always shyed away, but I'm pleased to say that a meal that I had during a recent visit exceeded expectations - the food was hot, well cooked and plentiful, and service was good. And the plate and cutlery provided was clean (in the past I have had to wipe dirt off both!).

The Red Lion appears to have turned a corner and I hope it is back on track to serving great pub grub again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gastronomic_Gal

Reviewed 29 June 2013

I have stayed in a few dodgy places on my travels but this "hotel" was by far the worst. £30 was extortionate for the service and quality at this place. Upon arrival we were handed keys and pointed upstairs as the staff seemingly couldnt be bothered to show us to our room - they were hardly rushed off their feet with no customers in sight. Generally dirty and unkempt - dirty carpets and dust everywhere. Bed sheets were old and stained and beds not properly made, filthy, chipped mugs provided to drink from (I valued my health too much to drink from them). Shared bathroom across the hall was dirty. Lock on bedroom door would not open from inside the room meaning a colleague had to rescue me from it - when the management were informed they refused to do anything about it. Was supposed to stay for two nights but checked out after the first night. The manager didnt question our early departure or ask about our night - clearly this must happen a lot. I wouldnt stay here again and will actively discourage others from staying here.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Mshama
Reviewed 31 December 2012

excellent room, spacious and contemporary with a modern feel. cozy pub downstairs to meet the quirky locals. shops just over the road, recommend lionside breakfast . staff great, Jenna and sherman made our stay very wellcoming. well recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 25 September 2012

A terrible place and extremely cold, hostile welcome! Walked in @ 11.45 am with the hopes for a late breakfast! Staff were ALL gathered in front of the television watching Emmerdale ......
Asked if they were open, was given the head to toe look and told 'yes we are'. She then had the audacity to tell me it was £13.50 for two breakfasts (I was NOT presented with a menu!) and was asked if I wanted tea or coffee. After 15mins our tea came with our breakfast (tea's were in completely different and repulsive mugs), breakfast was as follows:
2 eggs (uncooked)
NO toast
2 hash browns
cold baked beans
fatty bacon
mushrooms were slimmey...
Also served with fries(!) and they too were not cooked properly...

On the whole, a disgusting and highly disappointing experience!! Management has no clue as to how service ought to be served.. which says alot about the senior management/owners?
Did I mention how after I was served the staff all resumed back infront of the tv? A serious wake up call required.

Room Tip: Do not stay here for you will NOT be welcomed.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MamBet1
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I stayed at the Red Lion in Rothwell for 1 night.There was a warm welcome from Janice the landlady she really couldnt do enough to help.The room was nice,the locals were very friendly,Donna made a fabulous breakfast in the morning.Nothing was too much trouble for the staff,I would definatley stay again Thumbs up from Donna Clark High Peak Derbyshire.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I booked this via Booking.com for the Grand Prix weekend. I telephoned the following morning and was told the booking hadn't gone through and it wasn't her problem! Luckily, they had one room spare to book and with it being such a busy weekend, beggers couldn't be choosers. It stated on the website it had been fully refurbished - maybe decades ago. The room itself wasn't too bad to be honest apart from the dirty fingermarks and liquid splatterings on the walls. The bathroom across the hallway again needed a good clean and had the same splatters on the walls. The shower was boiling or cold. The disco downstairs in the bar went on until gone midnight, which we didn't venture to. Didn't dare try the food. However we did get a lovely meal at a hotel down the road! Only redeeming feature was that it was cheap and it was available over such a busy weekend - now we know why!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Nottingham31
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Room was unclean especially the bathroom floor and shower curtain. Breakfast was tasteless, mold on my toast, burnt bacon and greasy. Lobby floor around piano was dust, not just one days dust either! Will not stay there unless I know things change.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank makadoo3255
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothwell
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa
#1 of 5 in Market Harborough
Holiday Inn Express Kettering
7 mi away
Best Western Rockingham Forest Hotel

Been to The Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!