“You get what you pay for! ”

and 1 more site!
Rothwell House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rothwell
“You get what you pay for! ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

On arrival the carpark was full but there is some side road's with no parking restrictions, you just a feel of a place when you walk through a door and the feel I got was cheap! A desk in the corner was the reception the guy was friendly enough told me most what I needed to know except breakfast times but was on a blackboard nr the desk. Room was on top floor, a small room big enough for one, bed next to the wall, the bed itself was creaky and lumpy, clean sheets, shower room needs to be completed large gap between door and tiles, no self to put everything on, no hand towel, shower was poor the door don't shut very well.
The window in the room is very thin you can hear everything and I have bad hearing!, so didn't get a very good night sleep.
But like I say you get what you pay for!
Breakfast was a bit slow not much choice of creals, no glass for the juice help myself from behind the bar for a glass, the coffee cup and spoon were dirty.
You get what you pay for pay cheap and get cheap!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Andrew T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

When my partner previously wrote about the state of the room himself, his 2 two young children and myself and my 14 year old endured not a word of this was exaggerated nor was it as the owner states "mischievous". This was exactly how it was and we have the pictures to prove it. The duty manager was at the time the lady who checked us in. Upon some noise from the calamity from the children on seeing the moths she knocked on asking for us to keep the noise down. It was then she informed us she had handed her notice in. My partner just spoke to the owner on the phone and he basically said we were talking rubbish. He put the phone down when he couldnt bare to listen to anymore of the truth. None of what has been said by my partner is a lie, it comes to something when children don't want to stay and sleep on top of the covers in there socks. Anyway, we've shared our review, the owner has come back and replied with his comments. Pictures have been uploaded so will be available within 48 hours for you all to see. The biggest shock came where he said overloaded plugs out of reach of children. I'm sorry, you will see in the picture that is a lie. A 2 or 3 year old could reach them and I'm afraid that for me is worthy of not staying let alone the filth. I'm sorry, I hate when people can't admit there failures and this to me is a failure to supply the traveller with the minimal safety and hygienic standards any traveller should expect. Shocking is an understatement, to call my partner a liar is afalse statement of his character. Hang your head in shame Mr Smith.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jo O
sowgate, Owner at Rothwell House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
I am going to take you to task, The hotel is not safe,
I have instructed the solicitors to contact you, for proof of any regulation we have abandoned. Along with any intent on my company to put a guest at risk in any way.You have entered into a very expensive legal disagreement that I must clear my name and my company and staff .
We have a full risk assessment for fire EHO and all the legal responsibility so we demand proof.
Its summer and butterflies do land in buildings but they are not a hazard.
As for your partner phoning me me he just went on and on I could not get a word in.
The pictures show a bed pulled out yes not good buy no pics of faulty elects or anything unsafe.
Do you really think I want to hurt or kill a guest are you nuts.
We have a 96% occupancy I understand we cannot please all we are 2 star, that's our market if you want 4 star then book it and pay the price.
----- Original Message -----

Travellers are raving about these Rothwell hotels

kettering
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Just had the best carvery for a long time. A choice of gammon, turkey, lamb, beef all freshly roasted to perfection. Yorkshire pud, cauliflower cheese, carrots, green, beans, roast potato all cooked from fresh and served beautifully. Congrats to chef and staff. Very friendly and a lot cosy but modern dining room. Don,t miss out on this one. Best in Rothwell.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
sowgate, Owner at Rothwell House Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
hello many thanks we are into our 3 rd year and its getting better many thanks glad you enjoyed it we do monday lunch, sunday lunch and wedensday evening advisable to book
Blackpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I really don't know where to start but will attempt to summarise as best I can using words which at times will no doubt border on expletive. Upon arrival we were told we were staying in room 5, a room which is 3 bedroom and accommodating for our 3 children and myself and my partner. On being escorted up the stairs we immediately noticed how grubby the carpet was and the general surroundings. Passing through one door to be faced directly with a mattress leaned up against the wall we then entered the next level of this hell from beyond. Corridors creaky and wires hanging and protruding from every corner we reached our door. Little did we realise that upon entering this door we would actually be unlocking a whole new adventure, one that for all the wrong reasons would live long in the memory. OMG, what an absolute sh1t of a room, somewhere not even a lifetime convict should endure. First thing we noticed was that our double bed was basically next to the kitchen sink, handy mind if you felt like doing some washing up directly from the comfort of your bed. Then came the children's rooms. One of the rooms had just had its door removed prior to us arriving, still with all the remnants of the old door scattered on the floor. What was even worse was the light didn't work nor did the lamp in a room with no window. Moving onto the second bedroom, crap on the floor, god knows what and wiring hanging down the walls. The kids, 10 and 6 commented straight away on the room. Moving back into the living, kitchen and sleeping room 3, a toaster next to the telly, still with crumbs from a previous guest. Two 3 point plug adapters stacked with plugs, wiring running from everywhere. The sink was filthy, a moth in the cupboard, the sofa ripped in numerous places and who knows what living in it. Now we move onto the bathroom, a new level of filth. Toilet still marked around the basin top with I can only imagine was excrement. The floor filthy, dust and mould and bits everywhere. The shower, well, I wouldn't of bathed a pig in it, so dirty, shower head cracked in scum and mould. Anyway, being tired from the drive and plans made we left our luggage and headed for something to eat. On returning later a member of staff asked if we were staying in room 5. Yes we replied at which point with glee he said he had fixed the lamp. Yippee we thought, that makes up for it lol. After a night out at the local pub red lion (very enjoyable) and the Indian (the taste of India) which was fantastic we returned to our room with apprehension of the night ahead. We was greeted by another giant moth and after the kids being hysterical the lady from next door knocked on our door. She was the general manager who after a brief chat informed us that she is handing her notice in later this week due to the complaints, the embarrassment and the disgust at working there. Sums it up really. Anyway, we all slept on top of the beds that night, in socks as we didn't want our bare skin touching the floor. The next morning we mustered up a wash at the sink at best packed up ready for departing. Breakfast was ok, the girl young at that done all she could to make us feel welcome and not go short with anything but at that point smoked salmon and caviar wouldn't even have helped. All I can say is that in all my years at staying at numerous hotels, I work away every week, this place beggars belief. I'm still in shock now that someone could seriously run this as a business. He clearly likes taking but doesn't for a second consider the guests nor the standards a normal human being should be used to. How in such a lovely quaint clean village this place exists I don't know, it's an embarrassment and a blot on Rothwell. Stay away from this place, it's worse than u can possibly imagine and in all honesty should be shut down immediately. Just for info, he has another place which according to the manager is just as bad, it's called The Lismore house hotel in Banbury Oxfordshire. I'd happily tell the owner what a prize tool he is.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Jon N J
sowgate, Owner at Rothwell House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Hello I hope your tripeaviser is fully true as I suspect you are making mischief.
The duty manager I have formally interviewed him, with the view to disciplinary.
He denies that he ever said both hotel are dumps, and also denies any comment on the hotels.
I would like your word for word conversation so I can conclude the disciplinary.
However looking at your comments the corridor does have 1 wire running 1/2 down the corridor above head height its the extender for the internet.
The bed near the sink has been moved maybe by you as it should be at the other side of the room. The kitchenette is clean along with the kettle, toaster and a very few crumps when I pick it up.
The Duty manager also said he went to the room to change a bulb and saw no sign of any wood debris.The maid also told me it was hovered.
We hover the corridors and landings every day, we do have a large foot fall as we are very busy and some guests don't take the muddy boots off.
As for you wanting to call me then do, it would be better to meet me in person if you wish.
The bedrooms in the apartment have there own TV and tea and coffee facilities so yes we have double adaptors but out of reach of young children.
Many thanks for your comments and look forward to your visit and letter of full retraction asap
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed here on Saturday with my parents, brother and 6 kids ranging in age from 4 to 11, the staff that we encountered were very good and coped excellently with 5 boistrous boys, especially the lad who put up with them taking over the bar area !! Rooms were clean and breakfast was excellent apart from a bit of long wait for it when you have kids. Definitely recommend this hotel and may well return when we attend the next History Live event at Kelmarsh Hall.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We used this hotel for an overnight stay and were reasonably happy with the experience. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the room was fine. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the facilities were commensurate with the prices.
There is free wi-fi but it's pretty rubbish.
Breakfast was good and we were not unhappy with anything except that we needed to leave fairly early and there was no-one available to check us out and then the card machine wasn't working. Everyone was very apologetic and tried to help but it was a frustrating end to our stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Do not stay at this hotel. The owner has taken £250 completely unauthorised out of our account for a one night stay despite us already having paid cash. The police are now involved and we will be taking this further. He has also taken money out of another guests account. Mr Paul Smith you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank VivaRonaldo7
sowgate, Owner at Rothwell House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
well I will tell all,
this guest was at a wedding staying at the hotel she got so pissed she lost or had fall out with hubby .
Could not get into hotel so crawled through the restaurant window then into the kitchen crawled through the bar hatch then found herself with no exit.
She then pissed out of her face stumbled about in the bar then she heard another guest entering the hotel the correct way,
she yelled and screamed at the guest to get her out.
he didn't understand what was happening and thinking the worst he kicked the bar door down smashed it.She got out and on CCTV she thinks it very funny pissed as a fart wet dress ? and staggered to her room.
The manager was woken by staff thinking bar was broken into the manager called me and I said get the police.The police got the chap who kicked the door in as he thought she was in danger.
I arrived and was told what had gone on and the police asked me if I want to take the matter further but the chap had offered to pay so I said ok let him go he thanked me but I was outraged the girl came down girl just laughed and walked away with no apologies. I told her the chap has had to pay for the door she said so ?
we have through out the hotel in all rooms, if you cause disruption to the business then you will be charged, the police have called me and I have told them this, nothing they can do.
The charge stands I hope you would agree that this girl is out of order and the poor chap who rescued her was almost put in court she thinks its funny not any more.
All entree phone numbers are on the door codes are given on check in I think justice was done glad I never pressed charges on him but glad I got her, what do you think, do a good turn then could end up in court.
I am so glad you put this on trip not a word what you did as for your hubby threating me well that says it all you dont give a thought for other people or for any body but yourselves.
We have this on CCTV and we will put it on you tube.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothwell
The Red Lion Hotel
Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa
Barton Hall Hotel
Barton Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barton Seagrave

Been to Rothwell House Hotel? Share your experiences!