“Poor instruction”

Silverstone Challenge - Silverstone Experience
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The briefing was by an ex-1970's F1 driver and was interesting but largely irrelevant. He talked about driving on ice and snow, skid pans and how to correct for a skid. It was the middle of August and the track was bone dry. The instructor, Will, had been brought in to cover and I could tell immediately by his attitude that he didn't want to be there. As an instructor myself, I can safely say the driving instruction was poor. There were no cones on the track to guide where to brake and turn. He gave no pre-emptive guidance but merely shouted at me to brake, turn now, keep right, change gear. Sorry, which way is the track (I had studied it before)? Which gear do you want? What speed? Everything happens very quickly. I had to ask him for this information. I'm pretty sure that I got only 8/9 laps of the track. Being at Silvestone is special but I had a similar track day at Prestwold with Everyman Racing and the instruction was so much better.

1  Thank Manflex

Reviewed 22 August 2013

I was given a voucher for the Nissan GTR Experience at Silverstone as a present and arranged for the visit this week. The track was easy to find and the friendly security staff inspected my voucher and pointed me towards the Experience Centre some mile further on around the perimeter of the circuit. Arriving at a well signposted modern building, where there was adequate parking, I was quickly and efficiently booked in at the reception desk. Fifteen minutes later and we were led into a briefing room where we were shown an instructional film and given tips on how to drive a very fast car around a race track. Spectators, in my case my patient wife, were not allowed into the briefing session but were welcome everywhere else. We were then led to a second building where we were issued with new looking helmets and introduced to our driving instructors. Mine was charming, patient and a very good driver as I was later to find out. Once belted up in the driving seat I had the various key instruments explained and we drove out onto the track. I drove as fast as I thought I could without falling off the track while my instructor gave a constant stream of advice; accelerate, brake, change up/down. In the blink of an eye my five laps were over and I was given a fifteen minute break while my instructor took a second person out to do his laps. Back in the car again I had a further four laps, two with instruction and the final two making my own decisions. Based upon these final two laps my instructor completed a comprehensive driving assessment sheet with marks awarded in categories such as corning, correct use of gears etc. The final experience was a flying lap with the instructor driving. This was amazing as we seemed to be travelling at warp speed with tires squealing on every corner and much of the lap spent on the track's rumble strips as the GTR used every inch of the available tarmac.

The GTR experience was beautifully organised by professional, dedicated personal using top notch cars and facilities. I would very much recommend it to anyone who enjoys speed and wants to experience the amazing performance of a supercar on one of Britain's iconic race tracks. I would add that my wife was made very welcome and was encouraged to take photographs and video and was provided access to both the cars and drivers.

5  Thank Jeremy
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Loved every minute of this! Still on a high! Can't wait to do it again! Highly recommended! Spectators enjoyed it to!

2  Thank Jane S
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My husband was given a 'single-seater experience' as a gift so I accompanied him to take some photos. It was not at all clear where we had to go once we got to Silverstone and we had to ask several people.
It was the hottest day of the year and where I had to wait while he was in a pre-drive briefing was very hot with loud music and racing simulator machines making even more noise.
Eventually I went over to the track with him and watched him do several laps. There was very little shade and there seemed to be a heat (or pollution?) haze. He finished and got his printout and we went back to the Experience headquarters and I said I would buy some ice cream. There were NO prices at all and the staff said at first £5 for 2 small tubs of ice cream and then changed the total to £9. No receipt either. Having felt ripped-off by this I didn't buy the photos they were promoting at the centre.
My husband did enjoy this experience but as a spectator I felt the facilities left a lot to be desired. The lack of prices in the snack bar are probably contravening all sorts of trade legislation but you live and learn. Don't bother with being a spectator.

2  Thank Judith F
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My Partner loved the R8 Experience, its his third trip to Silverstone, he has had two Aston Martin drives, and has thoroughly enjoyed them all, I can say it took ages for the smile to ware off his face, I paid for the in-car video, and photo, it was fantastic, the whole experience is fantastic, the drivers are brilliant, and I am now working on a Porches and Bentley Drive.

1  Thank Dawn S