“unwashed lettuce”

Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Weedon
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After entering what seemed like a pleasant interior and a pleasant member of staff, we were placed at a table with a nice view of the outside. The food came and was acceptable until I discovered that my lettuce wasn't clean, and the dirt had spread onto my plate. I ate around it and finished my meal tentatively - I should have complained there and then I suppose. Anyway, my wife complained to the waitress in my absence, and I complained to the lady on the till, to almost complete indifference. C'mon! you can be better than this - all round!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My friend and I meet at Darlington’s for a longish lunch fairly regularly and for the first time today we were very disappointed by the service there. Our coffee was brought quite quickly, although I had asked for a mug and it was in a cup, but that was rectified easily. We were then ignored. I had to ask twice if we could order some lunch; the first waitress acknowledged our request and then didn’t return. The lunch was good, but afterwards we had to ask for more coffee and then some cake. We kept getting sidelong glances from the aforementioned waitress but not once did she ask if there was anything else we needed. By the end she was making us feel quite uncomfortable as she kept hovering over our table silently as though she wanted us to go and we then went outside into the courtyard to continue our chat.
We have always been made so welcome previously, and the staff have always said they’re happy for us to stay as long as we like, especially as we will always have a proper meal, followed by coffee and cake. At no point today did she make us feel welcome and at no time was the restaurant short of tables so there was no reason to want us out of the way. In fact as we left I remarked to her that it looked as though she was in a hurry for us to leave. She didn’t smile once during the whole time we were there, or make any acknowledgement of my remark. We were certainly very disappointed as we have never experienced this kind of attitude before.

Reviewed 8 June 2018

We visited with friends for a look around the shops and lunch at the cafe. We didn't even know this place existed to be honest. Definately worth a couple of hours stop if you are in the area - there are some cute little shops and the food was very good - we had 2 x ploughmans, the mushroom stroganoff and a fish pie. Everything was tasty - solid home cooking with pleasant friendly service. There is a pleasant outdoor area if the weather permits

1  Thank davidandmel
Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

We’ve eaten here a few times and it’s never disappointed. Whilst the interior decor is a little tired this is more than made up for by the ambience, friendly staff and decent ‘cafe’ style food. If you are local, it is well worth a visit.

2  Thank Rioja1969
Reviewed 29 April 2018

I popped in on the off chance with a colleague with a leg in plaster. Ian and his team could not have been more attentive for such a last minute request. The team are so genuinely friendly here. Food is delicious and good coffee too.

1  Thank mypropertycoach