“Weekend in Alnwick” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 69 Alnwick B&B and Inns
York, United Kingdom
“Weekend in Alnwick”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights for a wedding. We were pleasantly surprised having read some negative reviews. Our room was very clean and tidy, we couldnt fault the staff as they were very attentive and friendly, best breakfast we have had at a B&B in a while. Saniflow could be quieter but overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: room 1 was excellent and over looking the main street so lots to see
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights,room was ok properly one of the older rooms bathroom across the hall.
Clean tidy and good value staff very friendly and breakfast excellent.Surprised they only served hot food at lunch time and not in the evening.Parking a bit difficult but that seems that is the problem in Alnwick,what it must be like in the summer I would hate to think.

Would properly stay again close to the centre of the town which is convenient.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David G
Sunderland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

Arrived new years eve for a one night stay, young lad gave us our keys and was very helpful.
Because they were not able to provide breakfast on new years day they refunded a proportion of the payment.
Room was cold on arrival but heating was switched on as soon as we advised the staff.
We expected it to be noisy being new years eve and it was from the bar until about.2am that we expected. To then hear the couple next door having sex and the staff having a party until about 5am really wasnt acceptable.
Its a real shame as as a pub it has a nice atmosphere and the staff helpful.Unfortunately I dont and think I would be staying here again not at £70 for the full price

• Stayed December 2012
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on a Friday night, when I arrived the girl brought me to my room, it was a good size and the bed was nice. She asked when I would like breakfast and was very attentive, and the breakfast was not bad. I went to the pub for a beer and it was a nice atmosphere. The only bad thing is that there was loud music playing until midnight and you would hear people leaving the pub until 2am. There are also a church/city hall near by and the bells rang every hour all night long. If I return to Alnwick I might stay here again, but not on a Friday or Saturday.

• Stayed December 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

I did a walk 2 years ago along the East Coast,got as far as Alnick,but being the last day of the holiday. I didn't have enough time to look at the castle and gardens. I promised myself to go back,hence this visit.The Market Tavern is very pleasant,I stayed here because it is in the middle of the town,short distance from the Castle(Where Harry Potter was filmed)Staff very helpful,Clean rooms, The shower being electric could do with updating,but a very good breakfast The Tavern does not do an evening meal.But there are many good resteraunts,I found an Italian one across from the castle by the arches.Young staff who couldn't do enough for me I was so impressed I went back the following night.I will be staying at the Tavern again next year,

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent,I was on the top floor beware of the stairs if you have a heavy bag.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank mike m
Cottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

This place is difficult to describe , run by two kids ( i think) , only people we saw. Breakfast hot and fresh but limited, paid good (dear- price for b/b. Central location good, parking non existent.
Noisey loo and bathroom a deathtrap. WE HAD great time again in Alnwick but we would maybe stay somewhere else. To expensive , to "quaint" and not enough atmosphere. Good Luck Market Tavern and please get your bathroom sorted,oh and cut your rates.wish I`d known Camilla/Chantelle.

Room Tip: ask for a visit to several rooms and look at the bathrooms
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank eastriding
Lincolnshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

Stayed just for one night, a Saturday night. Arrived in the early evening, a very attentive barmaid showed me to the room, the bathroom and made sure everything was OK. I was staying in the single room, so the bathroom is not en-suite, but is for exclusive use just down the corridor, which is fine by me and means that the bedroom is bigger than it would have been if they'd tried to squeeze a bathroom in - there was plenty of space for myself and my stuff. Well-provisioned courtesy tray and a decent sized TV.

There's no food on in the evening, but the pub is right in the centre of town and there's plenty of choice - I went just round the corner to the Chinese takeaway. Morrison's supermarket is even nearer if you fancy a snack.

Went downstairs later and the pub was very nice.

Two niggles. The single room has no windows to the outside, but does have a long window at the top of the opposite wall to the bed which gives onto the corridor, which was lit all night and meant that I couldn't get the room completely dark, which woke me up once during the night, and then earlier than I would have liked in the morning. Also the bathroom does not have a shower, but was perfectly clean, although they had left the shower gel bottles left by previous guests in the room. I thought this was a nice touch but might not be to some guests' taste.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo