“Amazing food and friendly service in a small but perfect venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lilburn's

Lilburn's
Ranked #16 of 118 Restaurants in Alnwick
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
West Sussex
“Amazing food and friendly service in a small but perfect venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Having travelled all day from West Sussex to dine at Lilburns's in Northumberland to help celebrate a family birthday I was ready for some good food and enjoyable Saturday evening and I was not disappointed. the restaurant is on two floors and although no a huge space, it has a big heart and the team were always close to hand if you needed any help.
The menu was quite extensive however you could chose from an array of food options ranging from light bites, smaller dishes, classics, fish and an amazing specials board. We had 8 in our party and the team were attentive, understanding when not everyone wanted starters and very obliging when we brought our own birthday cake.
I chose the lobster salad to start an it was amazing, fresh and light with oodles of flavour. The black pudding with Cumberland sausage was my brothers choice of starter and it was huge. The brie filo parcels looked light and tasty which were my sisters choice. My main too was a delight, I had the seared tuna with fresh salad and fries. Others choose rack of lamb, risotto and lasagne, all of which were served fresh and homemade.
The birthday was a surprise for my father and we brought our own cake ahead of the meal which the team brought out to the table with dimmed lights and lit candles.. it was wonderful. It was then taken away, cut and served back to the table on wonderful plates with fresh fruit and cream at no extra cost.
A good wine list at reasonable prices plus beer etc on tap. Table water was offered and the whole evening was fantastic. There was a lovely atmosphere as the restaurant was almost full and even though we were booked at 7pm and left after 10 there was still a buzz and many diners enjoying their Saturday night.
Thank you and I just wish there was a Lilburn's a little closer to home!

1 Thank FiveOaksFilly

London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

My family came from all over the UK to Lilburns Restaurant for my Dad's 70th Birthday surprise dinner.
The staff were in on the surprise & they couldn't have been more friendly & helpful even putting up the balloons we'd bought before we arrived.
Everyone agreed the food was delicious & well presented, my lamb was cooked to perfection.
We'd brought in our own birthday cake which, after Dad had blown out the candles & we'd sang 'Happy Birthday', was sliced up & served with berries, coulis and jugs of cream.
For friendliness & value for money I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

London, United Kingdom
“pleasant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

we had dinner here and found the service very friendly and the food although not fine dining by any means was well cooked and tasty also good value for money.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Huge food portions, but ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I really wanted to like this place. It looks to be family run, and we were squeezed in for a late booking. Clearly this is a very popular cafe/restaurant. Can't really fault the staff generally, either.

However, the atmosphere/lighting for an evening meal was all wrong. The waitress placed a tea light on the table, but there was no point: the place was so bright, it added absolutely no intimacy.

The food we ordered was cooked well and tasted great, but the portions were far too huge! And despite being popular, there was an air of near panic to get through service (we asked for water, and didn't get any, and we didn't get napkins - I ended up helping myself at the waiter "service station" near the kitchens). Somehow, I don't think the very extensive choice on the menu helps - they could scale it down by about two-thirds (including specials), and still have a choice that would suit most people, and do it really well. Add some dimmer switches on the lighting, and it has the potential to be a very good restaurant indeed.

Overall, an ok place to eat, but nothing special.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank David C
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Excellent as always”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We never visit Alnwick around lunch time without getting food at Lilburns.
Excellent as always, and having tried most of the others in Alnwick, until we have been disappointed, this represents top class value, and even better food, if that is possible as the service and quality never seems to vary which is why we still go here.
Mine host and hostess Rod and Debbie lead by example and the rest of the staff are extremely courteous, pleasant, efficient and helpful.
In the evenings the food is also first class, and reasonably priced.
Long may they continue.!