“We had a great 2 night stay”

and 1 more site!
Percy Terrace Bed & Breakfast Alnwick
Ranked #51 of 67 Alnwick B&B and Inns
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“We had a great 2 night stay”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We enjoyed our 2 night stay very much with Kiwi, Paul. Our room was bright with artwork all around the Guest House which his wife had done. Breakfast was superb and plentiful. We enjoyed chatting with Paul and his son who was visiting the UK. Paul was a witty host and we were sorry to have to leave such a hospitable place to continue our cycle ride.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Philimp

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Burnsville, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed at Percy Terrace last June, it was very clean and the room was very comfortable. I had the triple room which is advertised as having a private bathroom. This is false because you need to walk down the hall past another guest room and the top of the stairway to get to it.

I was very disappointed with my stay as I had a very bad experience with the owners. I flew into the Edinburgh airport very late, took the last train to Alnmouth then a cab to Percy Terrace. Paul was extremely rude on the phone when I called ahead to let them know I was coming in late. When I arrived Paul gave me a lecture on how check in time is 3:30-7:30 and they are not a hotel. He asked to see my passport and made a comment that he wanted to make sure that I was not a criminal.

My daughter was studying abroad in Alnwick and she came to visit me the night I arrived. It was truly my mistake to have her visit so late. We tried to keep our voices down but the owners were able to hear us and this was impolite on our part. Helen charged right into my room and literally yelled at us for 5 minutes. We instantly apologized and acknowledged her concerns yet she kept on yelling. My daughter said she would go back to her place immediately and got up to leave.

The next morning I came down for breakfast and Paul greeted me by saying, “What a pity it was last night” I immediately apologized and promised this would not happen again. I agreed that we made a mistake yet he continued to lecture me. He also said it would be best that my daughter does not come back to visit at Percy Terrace. I paid for a triple room so my daughter could stay the night if she needed a break from her dorm room at the castle. Sitting there alone eating breakfast was extremely uncomfortable knowing how angry Paul was as he served me. I was there for 4 nights and only had breakfast the first morning because I was so uncomfortable. In fact I was uncomfortable every time I entered the house.

When I checked out my last day I gave Paul my Visa card. He looked at it and commented “I certainly hope I do not get charged an arm and a leg by your Visa company” There was not one pleasant moment with the owners as they could not accept my apology. I was more than a perfect guest after the first night and should not have been charged for 2 people since he said it was best my daughter not ever come back.

Room Tip: If you want a private bathroom do not ask for the triple room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank tfeldmeier
soaves, Owner at Percy Terrace Bed & Breakfast Alnwick, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
This is a most unfortunate and distressing review. I can only but address the points made individually.

A private bathroom means just that: exclusive use for one bedroom, outside the room, as opposed to an en-suite.

Your account of your arrival does not contain all of the facts. Having arrived very late, you then proceeded to bring a third person back here, an unregistered visitor, along with your daughter, to eat hot takeaways and chat loudly after midnight in what is a small, private B&B.

I did accept your apology and your acknowledgement that you had not stayed in a bed and breakfast before. I was at pains to be amenable all week as you left for the day and to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

We have to register all guests and ask for passports from overseas visitors. The amount charged is a room rate. Your daughter was welcome to stay, but I would have needed to know in advance on which specific nights she would be staying, for health and safety, fire precaution reasons.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We were travelling around with some friends from Australia, and had planned just the one nights' stay in Alnwick. I have to agree with the other reviews...Percy Terrace B&B is a delightful place to stay. Paul is an excellent host...friendly, a great sense of humour, and his breakfasts are a true joy...delicious! In a quiet location, but just a 5 minute walk into the town centre. The décor is beautiful, and the rooms are spotless and very comfortable. I fully recommend Percy Terrace if you are looking for somewhere to stay in Alnwick.

Room Tip: There are only two rooms....one is a Double (En Suite), the other is a Family Room with a private ba...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thirsk
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We arrived in Alnwick to show out Japanese daughter in law the beauty of Northumberland and used Percy Terrace as our base. Our host welcomed us on arrival and it was apparent that making everyone's stay as enjoyable as possible is his prime objective. Percy Terrace is situated in a quiet side street and parking was easy. This enabled us to leave the car and walk to the places we wished to visit without worrying about it. The decor, food and music as exactly as other reviews describe - restful and refined. The host goes the extra mile and we will definitely return for a further stay in the autumn.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LesleyStewart
St Neots
Reviewed 7 June 2014

You will find the most amazing and tastefully furnished and decorated house. This kept me awake for quite a while wondering what I could do to my own home to make it as good as this. Artwork, wallpaper, co-ordinating colours. The host - a kiwi - was so friendly and his breakfasts are to die for. I had the smoked salmon which he imports from Norway, my husband had the full English which contained locally sourced ingredients. All this plus fresh strawberries, warm croissants and restful music while we ate. The bed was so comfortable I would like the same one for my home. Percy Terrace is a short walk from the centre of Alnwick. Finallyas we said goodbye I got the Maori greeting nose to nose! Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights to attend a family wedding, and I chose Percy terrace purely for their interior decor......it did not fail to disappoint!

Our room was beautiful with everything (and more) that we needed.....my husband forgot to iron his shirt and our host whisked out an ironing board and iron. They really couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome! This was no ordinary 'beige' hotel, lacking in personality, ambience or wonder........it was amazing and we will be most certainly be going back.

They had a sign in the breakfast room about their award for breakfast.....again, does not disappoint: yoghurt, cereal, warm croissants, juice and then several forms of cooked breakfast with locally sourced produce!! I can rant and rave for hours about this place, but go see it for yourself..... It is a fabulous place to stay with style, elegance and tonnes of homely welcomes!!

Thank you for having us, we shall be back

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night in December whilst visiting the nearby treehouse restaurant. The house is beautifully decorated with a huge amount of art work, created by the landlady! The owners are very friendly and welcoming. The room we had was very clean comfortable and tastefully executed. Comfy bed, great breakfast, highly recommended.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple