“Disappointing”

Louis Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Was expecting a really good meal. In reality this was just average, nothing to write home about.
Restaurant was very ordinary as an evening venue.
Steaks not cooked well.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

Thought we would give this place a try as it got good reviews. We had to eat early before leaving on a long trip, and as they opened at 5pm, this suited very well. The staff were friendly and helpful. Atmosphere was a little lacking, but it was very early. We tried the house red which was thin and pretty poor, then opted for a more expensive red at £21 which was excellent. My mushroom starter was nicely presented, but a little tasteless. My wife liked her starter though. Steaks arrived with seasonal vegetables. Again nicely presented, but the quality of the meat was lacking in flavour. As the butcher was supposed to be good we were surprised it was so poor. Not helped by the fact that the cooking guidelines didn't match the result. I wanted rare, but opted for medium rare on the menus advice that rare would be more like 'blue', I should have stuck with the rare option as the meat was overcooked for my taste. Vegetables were well cooked and had a good flavour.

Reviewed 10 October 2012

Fabulous food, not to be missed. If you're wondering where to eat, don't hesitate - this is where you should either book or make the effort to turn up as early-birds and promise to have left before the main event at 7.30. If you eat here and don't like it, then something has gone wrong with the universe.

1  Thank ky69
Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

Always try to do something special on our anniversaries and with vouchers won from a raffle on our notice board itching to be used this was the perfect opportunity.

Having booked for 7:30 we arrived and were shown upstairs to a table we'd previously sat at last time *most convenient as we could see our car parked across from the market : ) *

Having ordered drinks we perused the menu and after deciding on opting for a starter & main. Our well timed waiter arrived with our drinks, ready to take our order. My partner going for the Chilli & Lime Fishcake & myself having one of 2 soup choices of Curried Carrot.

The soup was wonderfully flavoured with just enough heat but not too spicy, whilst the Fishcake was tasty and came with a marie rose sauce. Partner enjoyed immensely even after finding a small bone.

Mains arrived promptly and looked Amazing. I choose the Chicken with Parma ham with Red pesto and chips. A very rich and delicious dish though I couldn't finish it all having felt full and satisfied on the soup!

Partner loving nothing better than a Steak opted for the Rump steak with chips and Peppercorn sauce and was left very content.

We even managed to share a Berry Panna Cotta as an additional treat which was beautifully done with tart berries and a sweet cream keeping perefect balance. Thankfully my Partner has hollow legs so finished off dessert.

We left very happy having had a wonderful evening in a lively but also intimate atmosphere.

Thanks to Louis staff for making it such a great night! & compliments to the chef : )

Reviewed 24 September 2012

The staff were very engaging, had a good sense of humour and welcoming. the food was excellent, served as requested with a medium rare rib eye and entrecote steak. Altogether a lovely evening.