“Fab break”

Castle Gate Guest House
Ranked #55 of 69 Alnwick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I have to say when we booked this hotel after looking on here I was abit worried however after arriving and getting into my room I was very happy, we had the option of a room on the front of hotel or a back room we decided to stay In the back room and it was very clean well presented the owner Tracey does a fabulous job the breakfast in a morning is well worth the early morning wake up ok the bathroom is on the small side however It is an en suite bathroom it's big enough to have a shower and do what needs to be done in there my and my husband will definitely return here and would recommend this hotel

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Lovely B&B,right in the centre of Alnwick. 3 parking spaces outside the property,parking on the road in the evenings. Rooms are modern and tastefully decorated. Nice cooked breakfast with cereals and toast etc.Good value for money.Booked on Laterooms, only thing to be aware of is need to pay owner in cash as website only reserves the room for you. I guess it helps keep their costs down,plenty of cash machines in town. Easy walking distance to cafes,shops and restaurants. Would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We came here for the march hold and my wife had search everywhere for a b&b and this came up.
As soon as we arrived we just knew that it wasn't good. My wife always said," looks can be deceiving" but in this case that wasn't true.
As we arrived we were welcomed by Tracey and bill, they put us in room 2.
Tracey brought a fold out bed for my eldest daughter to sleep on while bill told us about the area.
That night I was brushing my teeth after bumping my head, the sink is tiny! I then felt something trip and a small piece of plaster fell from the ceiling. My wife called Tracey and she came over. She wasnt that bothered about the leak and that the ceiling nearly collappsed on me.
When we went to bed it took about 4 hours for me to sleep:there was no double glazing, tv was not good, tiny second bed and they were really itchy.
Waking up the next morning was not pleasant, my daughter moaned about the fold out bed, my other daughter complained that the single bed was NOT designed for an person other than 7 and below. My wife was annoyed that there was no water to drink apart from the bathroom, but we were trying to avoid that as much as possible, and I was just exhausted as it was quite noisy. We also weren't in a very good as the 19inch Telly was a let down with poor signal.
As we got into the breakfast area it smelt lovely and looked like it tasted great or so we thought, bacon was greasy, scrambled egg more like scrambled milk, cultlery and plates/bowls were not clean and when I was having my cooked breakfast they had heated plates. I could still hear my sausage sizzle and when I lent over to pour my tea I burnt my elbow, I shed a tear.
Apart from the good location my family and I did not find it a pleasant stay and would not come back again. Therefore we would not reccommend this place
Dave, Julie, Emily and Eva

• Stayed: March 2013
15  Thank Davemain
Reviewed 26 February 2013

As a lone pensioner I was worried about being in a B&B alone, but need not have worried as Tracy made sure my stay was enjoyable.
The room I was given was at the back of the house, so, was quiet. The room itself was lovely, clean, tastfully decorated, warm and welcoming. The ensuite was small but adequate for my needs and was very clean. Tracy is a lovely young lady, always seems to have a smile on her face, and very helpful - told me where to go to get a meal in the evenings etc, nothing seemed to be too much bother.
I will definatly use this B&B again..

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter as front faces the busy main road.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Reading other reviews I reckon we must have had one of the older rooms. The ensuite did not have an extractor fan and it smelt slightly mouldy and unpleasant. It was also freezing. I just didn't want to use the shower. Also the towels were described as 'luxury ' - maybe they were at one time but not now! Rather thin and hard and rough and more grey than white.

However, we had a good night's sleep and breakfast was good although served between 8 and 9 on a Sunday morning was a bit on the early side.

Room Tip: Don't take room 3. There is no swimming pool or fitness suite but I was unable to delete the com...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Yvonne P
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Arrived thurs 8th November and got told to ring phone number as guesthouse owner was out and about spoke to the lovely Tracey who instructed us to take which ever room we wanted with a key in the door now you might say that it's not professional me I think it is a nice way of a welcome to a real guesthouse.
The rooms are clean and spacious, tv and DVD in room 4 with a powerful shower non of the dribble rubbish and the bed was comfy.
Breakfast was really good and served red hot literally eggs cooking on the plate.

Only negative was heating could of been switched on as the guesthouse was cold but I reckon Tracy would of dealt with this problem but we just had a trip to the pub and a cuddle when we come back.

Room Tip: Creeky floorboards on landing so get a downstairs room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I booked direct with Tracy and had no problems whatsoever, she was polite, professional and very helpful.when I got in to my room I was happy with what I saw, the room had been recently renovated to a reasonably good standard and everything was laid out perfectly.I was at the back of the property so it was nice and quiet a few creaky floorboards from the person next door but nothing too noisy.Had a really nice sleep and woke refreshed.I spoke to Tracy when I checked in and she gave me optional times of when i would like to eat my breakfast, which I thought was nice to have an option.Breakfast was cooked fresh to order and there were cereals and toast if I didnt fancy a cooked breakfast.Overall I was very impressed with the whole experience and I would definately stay again.....exceptional value and efficient service.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business