“Grease is the word.”

The Tower Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Please note that the Tower Restaurant and Rooms is under new management from 14th October 2012.
South Shields, United Kingdom
“Grease is the word.”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My wife and I returned to this restaurant a year after our first visit which we thoroughly enjoyed.
I had the surf and turf (steak and prawns) with a choice of any sauce, well actually not ANY sauce but a choice of 2 sauces garlic butter or Pernod. I asked about something better for my steak (such as pepper or Dianne) this was not offered. I decided to trust the chefs palate and have the garlic butter as I do not like the idea of Pernod with meat. Big mistake!!! The prawns which were overcooked and rubbery were already cooked in garlic butter, and to have a pot of garlic butter (grease) as an accompaniment just left me scraping the roof of my mouth. My wife had lamb with mashed potato, she said the lamb was nice but the mash had no flavour.
As it was our 5th anniversary it left a bad taste in the mouth, no pun intended, compared with our previous visit. One half of the service was friendly (the blonde) the other needs more training on social etiquette. The chef needs to taste his/her food before trying it, and understand what works and what doesn't as grease on grease is too much. They should know better as customers trust their palate. A shame!!! Urgh, still feel queasy.

Billingborough, United Kingdom
“lovely evening”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

this was a really lovelly place to eat on a Saturday evening, excellent waiters/waitresses lovelly food as soon as the table is vacated there is someone else asking if one is available

Visited August 2013
Retford, United Kingdom
“Nice staff, good food, pleasant accomodation available too.”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I had the lamb rump. Pink as I like it and very flavoursome. We were pleasantly surpised as we were dissappointed to find several of the other restaurants closed on a Saturday evening in mid summer holiday period!

Visited August 2013
Ripon, United Kingdom
“Could do better”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We ate here one of the two nights that we were staying at the Tower (separately reviewed under Hotels) and, although the meal was OK, it was certainly nothing special. The kitchen may not have been helped by the fact that everyone appeared to have booked for the same time but that is surely something that should be managed.
The menu majors on steaks and perhaps they would have been a better choice. A starter of mussels, although in an interesting chilli-based sauce, was overcooked. Garlic mushrooms, however, were fine. Rump of lamb was also good although rather expensive for the amount of lamb, the dish being bulked out with a mound of bland and ungarnished mashed potato. The slow-cooked beef was good in parts but much of it was tough and some of it was gristly.
The place is, however, clearly popular and it may just be that we ordered the wrong dishes. Having said that, a restaurant should, of course, be capable of preparing everything on its menu with acceptable care and attention to detail and this doesn't seem to be the case at the Tower.

Scotland
“Really nice place to eat”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We went here at lunch time today with my mum and dad and had a really nice meal - it does seem a bit strange that the front door was open but blocked and you enter up the close but the place itself was really clean and pleasant. The girls that served us were both friendly and helpful. My husband and my mum ordered haddock and chips, while my dad had gammon and I had the quiche which was the special of the day - everything was fresh and delicious. 3 of us thought the chips were tasty - but they did appear to have been boiled and done in the oven. My husband wasn't keen, hence the 4 stars rather than 5.