Our only negative experience at The White Swan was upon our immediate arrival, at check in, when we were 'greeted' by a surly receptionist who obviously was annoyed at us interrupting her. As we were walking up to our room I was beginning writing my review in my head :0(
The room was very small (I suppose that's a negative too) but immaculately clean and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was a toilet, shower & washbasin - no room to swing a cat but plenty of hot water! (a bit perplexed why there were bath crystals amongst the toiletries). Room was cool but warmed very quickly. There was a smell from the drains which we thought may be due to the shower not being used for some time and that it would go once the shower had been on; which it did.
We had dinner in Hardys restaurant - very good food very reasonably priced and lovely atmosphere/surroundings. The staff were great, very attentive & friendly, especially Yannick.
Bed & pillows were very comfy, so much so we woke late the next morning for breakfast! When we got to the dining room they had stopped serving cooked breakfast 15 minutes earlier but our waitress spoke to the kitchen staff who were more than happy to cook us fresh breakfast, which was very tasty.
We went out for the day and when we came back to our room we found the drain smell had returned. My husband called reception who were really apologetic and within 5 mins had allocated us another room - a suite, WOW! Now this room was very spacious, had a bath and a kingsize bed and really made up for the fact that we'd had to move.
We can only praise the staff at the White Swan; they were extremely friendly, helpful and when there was a problem they bent over backward to resolve it.
If we were to return to Alnwick we'd definitely stay at the White Swan because we felt they really looked after us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of the historic market town of Alnwick and only a stone's throw from Alnwick Castle and Gardens, The White Swan is a charming 300 year old coaching inn that blends its unique heritage with superb accommodation.For generations one of the North of England's primary hotels, The White Swan is probably best known for its Olympic Dining Suite which features the magnificent panelling, mirrors and stained glass windows from the Titanic's sister ship. All 57 bedrooms are designed to an impeccable standard, and Hardy's Bistro, our contemporary, informal dining experience, is open all day for coffee, light lunches and an excellent bistro menu.The perfect stopover en route to Scotland, we're also your base for discovering the famous gardens at Alnwick Castle, and a tour of the very best of the North East with its unspoilt coastline, historic castles and Holy Island, Northumberland National Park and the exciting cities of Durham and Newcastle. Then return to the hotel for a traditional afternoon tea in front of the fire. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, HRS, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Hotel.de, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your The White Swan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The White Swan Hotel, Alnwick Hotel Alnwick
- White Swan Alnwick
- White Swan Hotel Alnwick
- The White Swan Hotel Alnwick, Northumberland