My wife and 2 children were kept awake between 11pm and 4am by drunken abusive singing in the street that was almost continuous. It seems every pub crawl in the town pass by this hotel and the windows in the room are so thin that you could hear all the swearing and shouting as if it was in the room. Once the last cat-calls, puking, fighting and chanting had died down, we were left with the annoying sound of the loudly rattling windows caused by what was only a mild breeze. The church bells then started in the early hours and go off every 15 minutes.
I realise that planning permission to increase the sound proofing in listed buildings can be problematic but I have seen it tastefully done in hotels all over the UK and around the world. Hoteliers quoting such regulations strikes me as a convenient excuse to hide behind when justifying their not wishing to rectify the most basic of requirements. It is obviously the case in this hotel when you look at the tiredness of the rooms where even a valance to cover the ripped and tatty beds appears to be unaffordable. When I mentioned the terrible night to the manager on reception the next morning, it was obvious that she did not care 2 hoots about our awful night's sleep. Having stayed in very expensive and very cheap hotels all over the world, I doubt I will ever spend such a sleepless night in a hotel ever again!!
If you want your kids to learn lots of new swear words, this is the place for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of the historic market town of Alnwick and only a stone's throw from Alnwick Castle and Gardens, The White Swan is a charming 300 year old coaching inn that blends its unique heritage with superb accommodation.For generations one of the North of England's primary hotels, The White Swan is probably best known for its Olympic Dining Suite which features the magnificent panelling, mirrors and stained glass windows from the Titanic's sister ship. All 57 bedrooms are designed to an impeccable standard, and Hardy's Bistro, our contemporary, informal dining experience, is open all day for coffee, light lunches and an excellent bistro menu.The perfect stopover en route to Scotland, we're also your base for discovering the famous gardens at Alnwick Castle, and a tour of the very best of the North East with its unspoilt coastline, historic castles and Holy Island, Northumberland National Park and the exciting cities of Durham and Newcastle. Then return to the hotel for a traditional afternoon tea in front of the fire. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, LateRooms, HRS, Ebookers, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your The White Swan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The White Swan Hotel, Alnwick Hotel Alnwick
- White Swan Alnwick
- White Swan Hotel Alnwick
- The White Swan Hotel Alnwick, Northumberland