“Not as good as expected.”

The White Swan Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Alnwick
Worcestershire
“Not as good as expected.”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed at the White Swan for 4 nights during February while on business in the area. The reception and bar staff were all friendly and helpful (unlike chef). I had a room overlooking the main road, it was spacious and the bed comfortable. Unfortunately the towels in the bathroom were all threadbare and had holes in! Something I have never encountered at any hotel before. I left them in the bath the next day and luckily they were replaced but certainly not with the nice fluffy towels we all prefer. Rather a let down in such a lovely hotel. The shower temperature control was jammed and I was not able to lower the temperature, however this was repaired the same day as I reported it. I could not pick up Wifi in my room, although reported this was never resolved.
Food and drink here are expensive.Dinner was not as good as expected, we had meals that were not hot and meals that were missing items that were stated on the menu. This was mentioned politely to the waitress, chef came out (this we thought was a nice touch....) but really all he did was tell my colleague how wrong she was. Embarrassing, uncomfortable and very disappointing. We chose to eat out in the town for the rest of our stay and had some very nice meals too.
Ideally placed for Alnwick Castle & Gardens, the unique and historic elements of this hotel are interesting, however I believe it to be overpriced for the standards you will receive.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank KevandMartine
James T, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Many Thanks for your review. I am sorry that some aspects of your stay where not satisfactroy. In relation to the towels we have a new linen supplier and where already addressing this issue when this review was posted. In terms of the chef, he was only trying to help and address any issues and concerns you had.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
newcastle
Reviewed 25 March 2014

we booked 6 rooms to stay overnight for my sons wedding at alnwick castle.The receptionist who was on duty when i booked was so helpfull ,i said i was going to a wedding and could we leave our cases as the wedding was at 2 pm ,she let us have early check in which made it so much better as we were able to change before the wedding .Bedrooms were clean and well maintained breakfast was really good loads of choice.We found all staff pleasant and helpfull even made us coffee at 1am when returning from wedding,we would not hesitate to book here again ...Thank You to all staff x

Room Tip: try not to have room overlooking street
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank terrynewcastle
Dear Reviewer,

Many Thanks for your review. I'm delighted that we could play a part in your sons wedding.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We had a couple of nights stay 3rd and 4th March lovely hotel, very friendly staff, food was super we had a d, b&b deal for £99 this gave us 3 courses off the a la carte menu and I cant fault it, room in modern extension at the back so very quiet and comfortable. Must not forget the decor staircase and lounge from Titanics sister ship well worth just popping in for coffee to see that.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
James T, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Many Thanks for your recent review. i am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night on 11 March 2014. We were given room 6, which is at the back of the complex and looked out onto a car park. The room was fine, as was the bathroom. No complaints there, and the fact we were given twin beds wasn't a problem. We did notice that there was no sheet beneath the duvets, only a base sheet, but again this was not worth mentioning to staff as we were only staying one night. We had no issue with the meals and breakfasts and the staff were helpful, polite and friendly at all times. But........

We were awoken at 03:30 hours the next morning by a cacophony of breaking glass and loud thuds right outside of our room. On looking outside we saw a lorry which was tipping bins of empty bottles into it. Over and over and over. The noise continued for approximately 10 minutes and was deafening. We reported this to Reception staff when we left and they stated that this lorry should arrive at 09:00 hours, not 03:30 hours. So, no real issues to report other than this. We suggest that the management of The White Swan urgently look into why the recycling company/driver felt that it was reasonable to collect the bottles at such an unearthly hour.

Room Tip: I think that the rooms at the back of the hotel complex are usually quieter, but there is a car park...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank psychnurse190
Dear Reviewer,

We can only apologize for the appalling disruption caused. The matter is being investigated and the current service provision is being evaluated.

I am relieved that the rest of your stay was satisfactory.

My apologies once again,

Goole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Visiting this hotel for the first time, through work, the welcome was magnificent with free tea and coffee for myself and my group. We were given all the information required by Jannick, before being shown to our rooms, if needed by a team member. The food is great, with plenty of choice on each course. The hotel is clean and the bedrooms modern and very well appointed. There were a couple of issues with my room, but after informing the reception team the issues were promptly resolved. You can't ask for more than that.
Great experience and will be back in a personal capacity with my family.

Room Tip: There are a few rooms away from the main building which are reached along a gravel path. If you have...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

James Thompson.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

As a local, I have never stayed in the hotel, but I often have a relaxed coffee there. It is quieter than many of Alnwick's coffee shops, so works well for a quiet meeting; staff are unobtrusive, and the coffee is good. The dining room is magnificent, with panelling taken from the Titanic's sister ship, SS Olympia, so plenty of grandeur on offer!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ModernPeasant
Dear Local guest and reviewer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel. I am absolutely delighted that somebody in the local community is appreciating what we are doing. Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to seeing you again at the the hotel.

Cleethorpes
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This hotel is worth a visit just for the experience of sitting in the beautiful dining room. The dinner was very good, presented well with attentive service. Breakfast also good although we did expect Craster kippers to be whole smoked kippers and not the vacuum packed type. The wine "by the glass" was awful. We asked for a bottle from this list the first night and it was cheap and nasty stuff. The following evening we asked if there was a better quality wine available and were offered another wine list and this was really good....pity we weren't offered this list on the first night. The room was good, clean with nice toiletries and a nice comfy bed. The weekend package was good value and I would recommend it for a weekend break for couples.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diane D
Dear Reviewer,

Many Thanks for your review of the White Swan hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future. I am glad that you also found a wine that you enjoyed. The appreciation of wine can be very subjective, I remember very well telling a producer at a tasting that the particular wine we where trying 'en primeur' was awful. That wine subsequently went on to command a price of £50 a bottle and had the name Rothschild on it.....

we hope to see you very soon,

Regards

James Thompson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alnwick
Doxford Hall Hotel
#2 of 3 in Bamburgh
Alnwick Lodge
Alnwick Lodge
#21 of 68 in Alnwick

Been to The White Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!