I stayed at the White Swan for 4 nights during February while on business in the area. The reception and bar staff were all friendly and helpful (unlike chef). I had a room overlooking the main road, it was spacious and the bed comfortable. Unfortunately the towels in the bathroom were all threadbare and had holes in! Something I have never encountered at any hotel before. I left them in the bath the next day and luckily they were replaced but certainly not with the nice fluffy towels we all prefer. Rather a let down in such a lovely hotel. The shower temperature control was jammed and I was not able to lower the temperature, however this was repaired the same day as I reported it. I could not pick up Wifi in my room, although reported this was never resolved.
Food and drink here are expensive.Dinner was not as good as expected, we had meals that were not hot and meals that were missing items that were stated on the menu. This was mentioned politely to the waitress, chef came out (this we thought was a nice touch....) but really all he did was tell my colleague how wrong she was. Embarrassing, uncomfortable and very disappointing. We chose to eat out in the town for the rest of our stay and had some very nice meals too.
Ideally placed for Alnwick Castle & Gardens, the unique and historic elements of this hotel are interesting, however I believe it to be overpriced for the standards you will receive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of the historic market town of Alnwick and only a stone's throw from Alnwick Castle and Gardens, The White Swan is a charming 300 year old coaching inn that blends its unique heritage with superb accommodation.For generations one of the North of England's primary hotels, The White Swan is probably best known for its Olympic Dining Suite which features the magnificent panelling, mirrors and stained glass windows from the Titanic's sister ship. All 57 bedrooms are designed to an impeccable standard, and Hardy's Bistro, our contemporary, informal dining experience, is open all day for coffee, light lunches and an excellent bistro menu.The perfect stopover en route to Scotland, we're also your base for discovering the famous gardens at Alnwick Castle, and a tour of the very best of the North East with its unspoilt coastline, historic castles and Holy Island, Northumberland National Park and the exciting cities of Durham and Newcastle. Then return to the hotel for a traditional afternoon tea in front of the fire. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotel.de, HRS, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers and LateRooms so you can book your The White Swan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The White Swan Hotel, Alnwick Hotel Alnwick
- White Swan Alnwick
- White Swan Hotel Alnwick
- The White Swan Hotel Alnwick, Northumberland