We have stayed at the White Swan once before so we knew what to expect. The hotel has seen better days but it has a faded charm and a very special ambience. We knew which rooms to avoid this time so we asked for one of the suites to give us a bit more space. The room was well furnished with all the expected items eg dressing gowns, slippers, toiletries, even chocolates so it was worth the extra money. We were told last time we stayed that it was not possible to install a lift due to it being a listed building so access to upper floors could be a problem for some people although there are ground floor rooms accessed via a ramp across the courtyard.
The reason I decided to write a review for this hotel was not the hotel itself but the quality of the staff and in particular Yannick the food and beverage manager who is an amazing asset to the hotel. All our friends and family who were staying in the hotel remarked on him. Nothing was too much trouble from finding an aerial for the TV in our room to telling us that if we got in late from our daughters wedding we could get night caps. He organised a large table for our pre wedding dinner the evening before the wedding without even being asked. He definitely went the extra mile and made our stay very pleasurable.
The location of the White Swan is excellent for Alnwick Castle and the beaches and castles of Northumberland. The quality and variety of the food served both in the dining room, the bistro and for breakfast is scrumptious. Also for people who like historic hotels the dining room has the most amazing oak panelling from the Titanics sister ship.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of the historic market town of Alnwick and only a stone's throw from Alnwick Castle and Gardens, The White Swan is a charming 300 year old coaching inn that blends its unique heritage with superb accommodation.For generations one of the North of England's primary hotels, The White Swan is probably best known for its Olympic Dining Suite which features the magnificent panelling, mirrors and stained glass windows from the Titanic's sister ship. All 57 bedrooms are designed to an impeccable standard, and Hardy's Bistro, our contemporary, informal dining experience, is open all day for coffee, light lunches and an excellent bistro menu.The perfect stopover en route to Scotland, we're also your base for discovering the famous gardens at Alnwick Castle, and a tour of the very best of the North East with its unspoilt coastline, historic castles and Holy Island, Northumberland National Park and the exciting cities of Durham and Newcastle. Then return to the hotel for a traditional afternoon tea in front of the fire. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, Ebookers, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Agoda, Priceline, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your The White Swan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The White Swan Hotel, Alnwick Hotel Alnwick
- White Swan Alnwick
- White Swan Hotel Alnwick
- The White Swan Hotel Alnwick, Northumberland