Lets start with the easy bits:-
Would we go back? - Yes
Was the stay value for money - Yes.
Now the detail.
Location. We've never been to Alnwick before, and we were very pleased with the character of the town, local walks and sights and so on. The hotel is ideally situated in the town. Parking was not a problem.
Hotel. Very welcoming, cosy and clean. I've stayed at many modern hotels which are only 'surface' clean but couldn't fault the white swan for the high standard of cleanliness.
Room. Well decorated, proper bath with endless hot water, LCD TV and DVD in room, HUGE double bed, plenty of storage. It was a bit noisy though due to banging fire doors and noisy stairs, however this hotel is an old coaching inn so thats understandable - I've also been in plenty of modern hotels which were no better. Didn't affect our sleep at all.
Food. Varied from excellent to good. Breakfast excellent, Christmas eve meal excellent, Christmas dinner very good (hard to be 'excellent' with turkey I think,, but I could have chose something else) and buffet on boxing day good. One let down was christmas day evening buffet which was only average, and the boxing day buffet should have been a meal (two buffets in succession is two too many - I'm not a buffet fan) although quality wise it was good.
If critical, I'd like to have seen more veg and fruit choices on the buffets.
Staff. Brilliant. All friendly, nothing is too much trouble. The staffing of this hotel is a key strength and makes all the difference when staying away for Christmas.
Oh, and the olympic dining room (and the service therein) is great.
We'll be back - maybe for a new year break next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of the historic market town of Alnwick and only a stone's throw from Alnwick Castle and Gardens, The White Swan is a charming 300 year old coaching inn that blends its unique heritage with superb accommodation.For generations one of the North of England's primary hotels, The White Swan is probably best known for its Olympic Dining Suite which features the magnificent panelling, mirrors and stained glass windows from the Titanic's sister ship. All 57 bedrooms are designed to an impeccable standard, and Hardy's Bistro, our contemporary, informal dining experience, is open all day for coffee, light lunches and an excellent bistro menu.The perfect stopover en route to Scotland, we're also your base for discovering the famous gardens at Alnwick Castle, and a tour of the very best of the North East with its unspoilt coastline, historic castles and Holy Island, Northumberland National Park and the exciting cities of Durham and Newcastle. Then return to the hotel for a traditional afternoon tea in front of the fire. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your The White Swan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The White Swan Hotel, Alnwick Hotel Alnwick
- White Swan Alnwick
- White Swan Hotel Alnwick
- The White Swan Hotel Alnwick, Northumberland