“Best night's sleep in a long time!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Georgian Guest House

Georgian Guest House
Ranked #35 of 69 Alnwick B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Best night's sleep in a long time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed here for one night and were very impressed with it. Lovely room, spoltlessly clean and welcoming! The beds were so comfy !! Best night's sleep we have had in a long time! We found the owner to be very friendly and we had a good breakfast in the morning. There is private parking although it is a litle driveway which can lead you to get blocked in by others (we just spoke to the owner of the other car and it was sorted in ten minutes). It is right next to the arch entrance to Alnwick town centre so very central to all the shops and not far from the brilliant Barter Book shop. We would stay here again if we are in Alnwick.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Luisatmp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed for two nights we had a double room with ajoining room suitable for children with loads videos and games console etc owners very friendly and helpfull ,rooms very clean and breakfasts good next door to pub that does nice meals . Guest house located in centre handy for castle barter books etc .parking tight but we were there first so wasnt a problem .would defo go again and recomend

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here for one night. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was fine and bed very comfortable. Wi Fi was available but I couldn't get a signal to connect. Room was generally well equipped with flat screen tv with tea and coffee making facilities. Location for exploring Alnwick is excellent.

Room Tip: Check the Wi Fi reception. It was a bit weak in our room ( Room 2)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank psfcp
Hull
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

We booked to stay at this guest house as we wanted to be within walking distance of the Castle but also wanted private parking (as was advertised) and we wanted somewhere that was family friendly. When booking we were given a one hour time slot within which to arrive.
I phoned up the week before to check whether or not we needed to take our travel cot for our then 5 month old son. We were told no, it would be provided.
We arrived absolutely on time. Unfortunately, when I rang the doorbell there was no answer. A gentleman was walking down the road and asked if I had a room booked, to which I replied yes. He said he was also staying there and the owners weren't in, but explained how we could get in even without a key! I also asked him about the private parking, and the gentleman explained that it was just parking on the road. (Not what I would call private parking!)
Once we got in, we saw a phone with a number to ring to contact the owner, which we promptly did. We were told our room number and told to just go up.
Once we got into the room we found there was no cot!!! I went back downstairs and phoned again asking about the cot, and was told someone would come to bring one but then asked if I had been told that cot bedding would NOT be provided!?! I had not! (Fortunately we had taken bedding for the cot with us anyway - but NOT because we had been told we'd need it).
The room itself was adequate, but small and tired. (The decor was dated and the en suite was very small).
Sadly I came down with a sickness bug whilst we were there (nothing to do with the guest house I must be clear). My husband phoned the owner in the early hours of the morning to ask if there was a bowl or something I could have by the bed (as I'd already thrown up in the bin). He was told to get something from the kitchen, and to sort out the bag from the bin himself. He was not offered any help - even though he was trying to look after me and our 5 month old son.
To add insult to injury, at breakfast (which I couldn't get to because I was ill), my husband was asked whether I was actually ill or if I was just suffering adverse effects from consuming too much alcohol!!!! I was disgusted when he told me this. I was genuinely ill, but even if I wasn't, it was completely unprofessional to ask such a question.
According to my husband, his breakfast was nice though (and in all fairness to the establishment, once they'd established I was genuinely ill, they did offer my husband some toast to bring up to the room).
To sum up, I simply would not recommend this guesthouse. Although it's position is brilliant, the service we received (or rather didn't receive) was appalling. At no point were we made to feel like guests - we were made to feel like an inconvenience. It feels like it's someones hobby rather than an actual business.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank BenandKatherine
County Durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here on several occasions as it is ideally situated, short walk into the centre of Alnwick & only a few metres away from the 'Playhouse'. Always welcoming & helpful wether a group booking or as a couple; rooms very clean, plenty of condiments & breakfast is hearty. Good quality & excellant price!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Vebird
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Arrived earlier than thought we would..rang number on door..told go in side..our room number..key in door..gorg room..clean& beautifully decorated ...had a walk round alnwick..grabbed takeaway which we ate in room..no ussye with heating..room was warm n comftabke.only complaint was other guests. Noisy and inconsiderate when going to bed..they had put their elderly mother in room next to us..she must have struggled locking door..but even worse in morning when they banged us all awake trying to call her for breakfast..!!! Grr..breakfast was nicely cooked n presented ...would stay again.parking was bit tight..we had to wait for 2other cars to leave so we could get out.. .

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank justme22-11
North East
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

this guest house is metres away from the centre of Alnwick and provides a limited amount of parking. The room was comfortable and spotless. good stock of tea and coffee. hairdryer and iron also provided. Breakfast was delicious, served between 8 and 9. Owners were very keen to make stay as enjoyable as possible. Rooms from £50, but we paid £60 per night for ours. Excellent value.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple