The Hog's Head Inn
Good 3.5/5
  • Pool
Eshott Hall(Eshott)
  • Restaurant
Newton Hall(Newton by the Sea)
Purdy Lodge(Belford)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmodern hotelgood sizeroad noiselarge partybuffet breakfastrooms are spacioussunday carveryflat screen tvearly checkfamily roomevening mealsteak and ale pielight sleeperovernight stayplay areaexcellent staydouble room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I found it quite difficult to actually find this hotel, as it was dark when I arived and it's so new it didn't show up on my sat nav. The building itself if very new and the public area seemed very welcoming. My room was one of the nicest ones I have ever stayed in. It was a good size and the bed was really huge. There was plenty of tea/coffee etc (I hate it when hotels are mean with these) and a couple of packets of good quality biscuits. Shame there wasn't a bath, but the shower was good. Another small gripe is that the flat screen tv was at a right angle to the bed, so it was uncomfortable to sit in bed and watch the TV.

I thought the staff were very friendly and efficient. The meal I ordered came quite quickly, but it was only average. I'm a fairly light sleeper, however the noise from the A1, which is really close by didn't bother me. Mind you I had the window closed, it may have if I had it open.

All in all, not a bad stay. A lovely room, really nice buiding and friendly staff. Also, a very good price!! I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank luckylane
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I have stayed in Alnwick before in a different hotel which had resulted in my stay being a nightmare

I had driven past the Hogs Head hotel on several ocasions, whilst it was being built and afterwards and had comented that it looked very nice
On the website the pictures looked good and I was not disapointed when I arrived...
There was a warm and smiling welcome, a quick run through facilities etc and I was given my card key
On entering the hall way to the rooms, it was clean, beautifully decorated, with clear signs.
The rooms were spacious, well equiped, very clean and comfortable.

Although there was no telephone to reception, I felt that I could easily contact them as it was only a short walk down the hall
As a single lady traveling I felt that I was safe and at ease.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Thorb1976, Public Relations Manager at The Hog's Head Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Thank you for an excellent review - and for your five stars. We hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 30 November 2012

Called to try out for meal on way back from a couple of days on Northumberland Coast. Had seen it reviewed in Newcastle Journal and thought would see what it was like as relatively new. When arrived others were finishing meals/coffee etc., so we were only ones to serve. Had expected hotel restaurant service, but found it was the sort of family diner where you have to have your table number and order and pay in advance at bar.
Ordered main meal and drinks. I had a soft drink as driving & wife wanted decaf coffee with milk which seemed to initially be a problem 'as it is it of a machine'. Agreed to bring as requested after some thought. Could see from our table the waitress preparing (by machine) coffee & milk jug, then she moved away for about 10/15 mins until she obviously remembered & got another waitress to get another one out of the machine and deliver to table!
When main meals eventually came (cooked freshly to order please be patient) I had ordered chicken dianne with chips (instead of new potatoes) and vegetables. No chips but potatoes! 'Sorry will get in a couple of minutes'. Chips came in that time, but grossy overcooked and obviously not freshly done, but kept hot for some time. Chicken had obviously been cooked hours/days ago and warmed and had sauce poured over. Vegetables were undercooked and hard (would not describe as al dente). No-one ever asked us how our meal was, even though we were only people in there by then. Didn't leave a tip! Overall a depressing experience and will not try again. Would use the Cook & Barker down the road at Newton-on-the-Moor again in future - much better.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank R0gerCar0l

Oh what a shame - all we can do is hold our hands up and say we're sorry., We are a pub and offer pub food, which we've had good reviews for. Please come and give us another try?

Reviewed 10 November 2012

Having spotted the Hog's Head on a drive down from Scotland earlier in the year, I thought it looked worth trying, as the building is very nice and easily accessed from the A1.
The chance arose in October and we found the inn well appointed, nicely decorated and the room, was as requested, a quiet one.
Breakfast was a buffet style but with additional things to order if required .the do it yourself toaster seems painfully slow. the hotel was fairly quiet, given we were there in the school holidays, I would say they need more custom. Priced at not much more than a B & B they should be more full, but obviously need to build a reputation.
location is close enough for a short drive into town, it is not a walk I would try at night, in the dark.
the only things we lacked were a hairdryer and abilty to use the safe. someone had left it closed..also no 'in room' information other than fire escape route. no phone to reception. these things did not spoil our stay and we both felt we could recommend the place to friends. can't comment on the restaurant as we ate in town.
on the whole I think since it is new there is a certain feeling of newness, both the premises and the staff. things need tweaking and 'bedding in'.

Room Tip: if you are a light sleeper, maybe avoid rooms on the A1 side.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChrisB8

Thanks for the review. Given that you stayed outside school holidays in November - a quiet time in Northumberland for even those most established businesses, it is unsurprising we weren't heaving when you chose to stay! We're not a hotel, so as such don;t have a phone in reception or in rooms, but of course if you were stuck in an emergency, please ask a member of staff if you need to make an emergency phone call. We're proud of our reputation and hope you return to enjoy it!

Reviewed 4 November 2012

Stayed at this establishment while visiting my brother.The hotel is set right next to the A1 so it is not a problem to find and altho on the outskirts of Alnwick a taxi for 6 was a resonable £4.Theres ample free parking and the hotel /pub is brand new and finished to a very high standard and at £80 for a dbl rm (masses of space) with breakfast was great value for money and on a par with other accomodation in Alnwick and the staff and reception very helpful with that northern everyones a friend attitude.We had an evening meal but altho the chips were handmade the meal it self was a bit dissapointing! yet the breakfast was very good.
Would i go back ? definitiely mut would skip having a meal

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the review! Hope you come back and stay again and enjoy a good meal - we get lots of ace food reviews!