Ellingham Hall
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$243
US$142
Travelocity
Purdy Lodge(Belford)
US$119
Newton Hall(Newton by the Sea)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswedding breakfastmain hallwedding venuethe cottagesroom cottageperfect venueapple storedream weddinglovely weddingdaughters weddingfirst classdvd playerbeefpublic roomsbed linenattention to detailthe ground floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We have just returned from a lovely week stay at Cloister Cottages, part of the Ellingham Hall complex. We had a great stay. The cottage was well equipped with enough of all the essentials (the number of times we have arrived at a holiday cottage to be given a single bin bag, single roll of toilet paper and no cleaning materials...) to keep us going all week. The location is lovely and the tree houses were enjoyed by our two children immensely. We obviously didn't see inside any of the other cottages so cannot comment on the internal layout of those, but our cottage was perfect for a family of four. We found the staff to be extremely helpful. We did have one or two problems - some minor furniture damage and a fault which developed on the dishwasher, but the staff we spoke to couldn't have been more helpful. We also asked to see around the hall and were given an excellent guided tour and the fact that our two young children were running around caused no concern.

The only aspect of the cottage which did worry me were the upstairs windows. These were full height windows which could be opened completely. A safety catch was fitted on the windows, but it is easily within reach of small children and potentially operable by them. The simple precaution of locating the catch to the upper edge of the window (or at least out of reach of anyone under the age of ten say) would perhaps be wise.

There was some noise from two weddings. We were told that any noise would end by midnight and on both occasions it did. We were immediately opposite the old chapel where the noise originates from and whilst we could hear it it didn't overly concern us. A noisy rendition of 'nelly the elephant' caused me to smile. However, I would imagine that a rowdy wedding party could of given us an unpleasant evening - but fortunately that did not happen.

As mentioned, the staff were extremely helpful and approachable. If you have any problems nip in to the office and I am sure they will sort things out as soon as possible. They weren't able to fix the troubling wifi, but we were on holiday - it was nice not to receive emails...

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Matt-Notts
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from my sisters wedding at Ellingham Hall and feel the need to counteract any of the negative reviews on here.
As a family we did a lot of the wedding preparation ourselves including making flowers for the tables and bouquets the day before. Which the staff accommodated without a problem.
The wedding day itself was executed perfectly by the staff and the coordinator, I believe her name was Nicole but I'm sorry if this is wrong, was always on hand. The staff particularly came into their own when one of guests suffered a seizure. This was dealt with fantastically and discreetly without any disruption to the day or embarrassment for the guest. I believe her partner was very grateful for your response. Thank you.
The venue itself was stunning with lots to explore. The rooms were of a high quality and the food was fantastic!! The breakfast the next morning was perhaps the most welcome sight I have ever seen after a night of partying!!
I am rambling now but I cannot say enough about how wonderful this venue was in every detail for my sisters wedding.
Thank you to all staff for a fantastic weekend.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank 188tw
Ell-Hall, General Manager at Ellingham Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear 118tw,

Thank you so much for your review. It's great to hear you had a lovely stay with us at the Wedding. I've passed on your thanks to Nicole and the other staff who worked on the day. I was very pleased to hear you enjoyed the breakfast too, I think it often is a welcome sight!

Thanks once more for your kind words, and hopefully we'll see you at Ellingham again in the future.

Anthony

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We recently returned from a one week stay at The Butterchurn, we understood that Ellingham Hall was a wedding venue but didn't realise what an impact this would have on our stay. There were weddings two nights out of the seven we stayed, the loud music and shouting late at night and the associated traffic lead to two disturbed nights, followed by the early morning wake up call of the resident cockerel. There was also a photographer who was very rude to my children who were playing on the treehouses when he felt that it was necessary to take photos of the bride and groom there.

The bathroom in the cottage was very small you pretty much had the climb over the toilet to enter the room and then shut the door behind you, the hand held shower fluctuated from scalding hot to freezing cold and the bath plug which had broken leaked so unless you were very quick the water would drain away before you had finished.

The plus side must be that the cottages are ideally located for exploring the beautiful Northumbria coast.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank fasl72
Ell-Hall, General Manager at Ellingham Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm so sorry to hear you were disturbed by the weddings that took place during your stay. More-so, I apologise for any offence that might have been caused by the photographer. If you would like to contact me directly I will be sure to find out who the individual was as pass on the comments as our tree-houses are for all guests to share.

In relation to the bath plug, I'm sorry to hear you experienced this. If we had known, we would have fixed the problem immediately as we have a full time maintenance team. I have informed maintenance now who will ensure this is rectified.

I do hope you can drop me a quick line direct when you get time.

Kind regards

Anthony info@ellingham-hall.co.uk

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Our party of four adults stayed here in July, expecting the 'high standard of furnishing & facilities' advertised on the website. We were to be extremely disappointed.

The 'separate shower room' we were promised was, in fact, a small shower unit in a broom cupboard with no room in the said cupboard for the bather to towel dry, making it necessary to step onto the landing to dry off – hardly conducive to privacy. The washing & drying facility consisted of a washer but no dryer, just an airer. As only the bare minimum of towels were supplied, the laundering of them proved a problem & washing for a family would be extremely difficult. The standard of cleanliness was most unsatisfactory – dirty rugs in the living area & the main bedroom; floors not washed thoroughly; dust lying thickly on the edges of furniture & along tops of skirting boards & door panels. The furnishings were generally of poor quality – very dilapidated wardrobes with only a half height hanging rail in one room, uncomfortable iron bedsteads, the top of the cooker held together with sticking plaster. There was insufficient crockery supplied, much of which was cracked or chipped. Although advertised, Wifi was unobtainable unless you were prepared to stand outside in all weathers or use an office computer.

And don't expect to lie in - the resident cockerel ensures early rising year round, the peacock will no doubt provide a constant noisy accompaniment to all daily activities in the breeding season.

Similar comments to my own above had appeared previously in the Visitors Book in our cottage but obviously had not been acted on so I wrote to the owners, Mr & Mrs Ruff on our return. To date I have not received a response to my comments, which probably says it all!

Such a shame as it is a great location, very convenient for Alnwick, Bamburgh etc. but if you are visiting this delightful part of the country, unfortunately my advice has to be to find alternative accommodation to Ellingham Hall Cottages.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank fools2005

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear you had a disappointing stay 4 night stay with us in July this year. I can confirm that we are in receipt of your letter (dated 21st July), however it did not reach my office until 29th July and I was in the process of investigating your comments when this review popped up and I would like to address your comments as such.

The separate shower room is indeed small, however we find that it is typically a benefit to guests sharing a property to have an extra shower. I'm sorry to hear this was not your experience.

We do only promote our properties as having a washing machine, and they all have drying racks as you mentioned. As standard we supply one bath towel, and one hand towel per person. I am sorry to hear you felt that was inadequate for your stay. Had you notified us that you needed fresh towels we would have been able to supply them.

With regards to your other comments I respect that these are your opinions, however I cannot agree. Furnishings and surroundings are subjective to the individual. The wardrobe you refer to is a Victorian antique which I appreciate may not be to everyone's taste, and the mentioned hanging rail unfortunately had just not been extended to full height. This has now been rectified.

Thank you for your comments about the free wi-fi. It can admittedly be patchy in parts of the site and I'm sorry that none of your devices could connect inside the property. We will change some of our internal literature to reflect this. However, we will continue as you mention to offer up our office space for any guests requiring access as an emergency back up.

Thank you again for your comments, and I hope you do give us another try by coming back to stay in this lovely part of the world again.

Kind regards

Anthony

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I attended a wedding here recently. Beautiful venue with stunning grounds. Unfortunately, the staff were not professional and are the reason I would never recommend this venue to anyone considering having their wedding here. On the morning of the wedding chairs were set up outside and left to get wet when rain started. Ok, we can't book the weather but one wouldn't expect the father of the bride to have to rescue chairs, decorations and order of ceremony leaflets while staff looked on. When guests were seated in the designated ceremony room, it became apparent that there were not enough chairs. The wedding co-ordinations response when asked for more chairs was that it was too late and guests would have to stand at the back. One of these guests was a ninety year old lady. Fortunately, a trainee member of staff, Richard, provided the chairs - perhaps he should be promoted to co-ordinator! Guests were given the wet chairs to sit on for the reception. Staff served alcohol to children as young as 8 and had to be asked several times for a non alcoholic alternative.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family