“Great rooms, but let down my poor food and miserable staff”
Review of Victoria Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bamburgh
Victoria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bamburgh
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Victoria Bamburgh for 2 nights. Firstly the hotel is in a great location close to the castle and is a beautiful old building. We arrived at approx 6pm and were checked in but on entering our room we found it hadn't been cleaned from the previous guests. Reception were very helpful and quickly sorted out another room for us. The room was lovely, nicely decorated and clean. We ate dinner out in local restaurants (the Mizen head is very good) both nights. Breakfast was the real let down. Usual buffet and choice of hot breakfast. The buffet only had tinned fruit options and no real oj, it tasted like orange squash! The waiting staff were all really miserable and you didn't get much of a 'good morning'... The cooked breakfast was very basic. Would have expected nice local sausages etc but was a but more 'truckers cafe' style. If they could get the breakfast right and encourage the staff to smile and be friendly to the guests we would have scored the hotel much higher.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Jo_MattLeicester
vicbamburgh, General Manager at Victoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear Jo_MattLeicester,
Firstly may I apologise for the room that was allocated to you on your arrival. It was myself that checked you in and as you commented I dealt with the situation as quickly and efficiently as I could. I am pleased that you were happy with the room I allocated you, please accept my apologies again. It has surprised me to read your comments regarding your disappointment at the breakfast service and the staff. I was on duty the duration of your stay and due to our first encounter I would have expected that you would have felt comfortable to express your concerns regarding certain areas of the service you received. I am disappointed that this was not to be the case as had I known of your discontent I would of made it my priority to rectify any situations you had to the best of my ability. I do hope that you would consider returning to The Victoria Hotel again.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Have just staid at this hotel and would do so again when next in the area.
Hotel is very clean ,if a little tired, but staff and breakfast food of the highest order.
All aspects of this hotel induce me to return. Excelent single room No 23 and brilliant breakfasts
the kippers are to die for.
If you need good accommodation in the area please try the Victoria

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Dear KeithGHullEngland,
It made my day to read your review on TripAdvisor. It is a great way to start my day knowing that all the hard work and efforts made by the team at The Victoria Hotel pay off. You are not alone in commenting on how good the kippers are at breakfast and it is thanks to using local produce such as Craster Kippers we are able to offer alternatives to the usual 'Full English'. I've passed all the comments on to the team and they were delighted with such praise. Hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

I selected to stay at this hotel because it offered what they called a superior room at a moderate price £135 for one night. At that price I would have expected a decent room, however I was very disappointed. When we checked in the woman on reception (just a desk with a computer monitor on it) was curt, although she did ask all that would have been expected of her. We were given the key to our superior room (Room 14). On entering the room it reminded me of the good old days, the 70's to be more precise. The décor was drab, the carpet was dirty as were the walls (tea and coffee stains on the wall and skirting). The mirror was not hung right, the main light shade had stains on it and the four poster bed was coming apart at the joints. The TV was wall mounted in the wrong place and it had very few channels to choose from. The Wi Fi also did not work. The bathroom was also a great disappointment. There was mould on the ceiling above the shower, the bath was chipped in may places. The vanity unit surrounding the basin was badly damaged and there was also mould on the sealant at the back of the basin The wall tiles were also coming away from the wall at high level.
The service at breakfast was good, however the bacon was either over cooked or had been waiting to be served for the previous 2 hours, sausage were burnt as was the black pudding.
Being a chief engineer for a large hotel group, I would have expected better surroundings for the price paid and a much better quality of food.
Would not recommend

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John H

Dear John H,
Thank you for taking your time to write a review on your recent stay. We always regard any feedback as valuable information on how to move our business forward. I am disappointed that you did not feel that room 14 was not what you considered to be value for money and a superior room. I have worked and managed in this hotel for many years and being completely honest have never received such negative feedback about one of our most requested rooms. Furthermore, I am more disappointed that you did not raise these points with us during your stay as it would have been priority to rectify your concerns at the time in person to make your stay more enjoyable. Your comments regarding breakfast have been discussed at the weekly management meeting and we would like to offer our apologies that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. I am sorry that you feel you would not recommend our hotel to others as I strongly believe that had you made us aware of your unhappiness we would have been able to rectify the situation promptly and hassle free.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

A little dismayed at first as we were kept waiting some time at reception to check in. We were not offered assistance with baggage. Faced with the rather dingy stair carpet and gloomy corridors did nothing to raise our spirits. The room however was clean and comfortable. The restaurant was excellent with very good food and first class service. ( Nikki particularly ) The steak night on the Thursday was particularly good value. The staff were pleasant and accommodating.
With a little more care to its décor this hotel could be really excellent at it is situated in a lovely area and the village of Bamburgh in particular.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Chris G,
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. I apologise that you were kept waiting to check in, I am sure you can appreciate we are a busy hotel and our check in time is from 3pm onwards. During the summer months most guests arrive promptly to ensure as lengthily a time as possible on their break. I am particularly happy that you found our service to be first class. As you mentioned in your review you were very happy with the staff and in particular Nikki, this was really a pleasure to read for myself and Nikki to read as it is great motivation that we are doing things well. Thank you once again and I hope that The Victoria Hotel is on your list of places to visit again.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed for the weekend at the Victoria Hotel to attend a family birthday celebration. The twin room we had (no 3) lacked a view but we were not in our room apart from sleeping and getting changed so no big deal. The weather was hot which made the weekend even better with a lovely beach and Castle to visit, although the room was very hot during the night but hey so is my house during a heatwave. Having the window open meant that the noise of the extractor in the kitchen was a bit noisy

We ate in the hotel for breakfast and for a lunch and the food was excellent

Nice bar great staff would definately return

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear dh20281,
I am always happy to read reviews that indicate the team here at The Victoria Hotel have done a great job and that guests would return. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food, our kitchen team work very hard to deliver great food that is both imaginative and well presented. As you commented we have been experiencing a heat wave which has been affecting the heat not only in the rooms but the hotel generally and I am pleased you have appreciated this. We do hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

This place is a bit dated. Our room was quite large. The bed was not very comfortable. The town is quite small but cute enough. The castle is quite good. If you are into birdwatching at all definitely give one of the excursions from Seahouses (just up the coast) a go!

I think I would try the place down the road if I found myself in the area again.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ayr2l8

Dear Ayr218,
Having read your review I feel that the only feedback you have commented on is that your bed was not very comfortable, had you made us aware of this at the time we would have endeavoured to put this right either by reallocating you a different room or changing the linen to make you more comfortable. I am sorry that you feel you would rather try another hotel if you were in the area again as I am sure the standard of rooms, furnishings and most importantly views cannot be competed with.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We got to the hotel and got parked directly outside which was a bonus as we were told the parking outside is very busy. A friendly gent named Alex checked us in and directed us to our room and took the paper order. A great start to our stay, we were in a room over looking the restaurant which is not the greatest of views but everything else was fine. The room was clean , warm and one of the most comfy beds I have slept in. The bar areas are very nice and were quite busy on the evenings which added to the atmosphere. The receipts had a little quirk of having a nickname of the member of staff our favourite was joey Essex ha. The only downside was the price we have stayed in hotels which offer more for less. I suppose with the hotel been placed where it is in bambrugh this is partly the reason for the price as the location is superb. All in all lovely staff an okay hotel a fan location and wonderful restaurant which I reviewed seperately

Room Tip: If you want a view you are going to pay for it unless you can get an upgrade
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Muriel234

Dear Muriel234,
Thank you for taking your time to write a review about the hotel. It does not surprise me that Alex did a great job on checking you in, in the many years I have worked with Alex he continues to go the extra mile and more importantly continues to deliver consistent excellent customer service. I am especially happy that you found our humour within the hotel to be tasteful and inoffensive as a happy workplace provides a happy environment. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our restaurant, we strive for excellence both in the food and service we deliver. Really hope that you return and experience the views we have to offer in our Castle View rooms.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburgh
Waren House Hotel
#4 of 5 in Alnwick
Eshott Hall
Eshott Hall
#1 of 1 in Eshott

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!