“Upstairs/downstairs - a hotel of two standards” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bamburgh
Richmond, United Kingdom
“Upstairs/downstairs - a hotel of two standards”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

The downstairs of the hotel is not too bad, although the reception area and the resident's lounge are somewhat dated. A little flexibility over check in time would have been welcome as would an offer of assistance with luggage. Food in the restaurant was good - not overpriced and served by helpful staff. Breakfast was particularly good with everything tasting freshly cooked.
Oh dear though. The upstairs of the hotel is quite simply dreadful. The corridors are very narrow and winding which would be fine if it were not for the dark brown paint on the walls, radiators and doors, making the hotel look like a Victorian B&B. The interior designer responsible needs sacking.
The bedroom was simply horrendous. Small, dark and dingy is how it is best described. Although a lovely sunny day outside, it was necessary to have the light on to read. On lifting the somewhat grubby net curtain, the view was directly onto windows opposite.
This hotel is supposed to be a three star hotel. It is not cheap. It is definitely the smallest room we have ever stayed in.
Quite a depressing experience which will not be repeated.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 18!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Judy L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Have just returned from a coach holiday here. Service from the Staff was friendly and helpful. The manager, Alex, was very actively involved with every aspect of taking care of the guests - nothing was too much trouble. Food was good, nicely cooked, my room was comfortable. I particularly appreciated the lighting in my room which not only let me see what I was doing but, unusually for a hotel, enabled me to read in the evening.

The hotel is centrally placed in the town which has some interesting features. It is also well situated for visiting the many attractions in the area.

Room Tip: If you are a disabled visitor you need a downstairs room. No lift and the stairs could be daunting
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

My partner and I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights, as part of a coach party. The bedroom was on the 4 th floor with no lift. Food very good and linens excellent. Rooms however very dated and needed upgrading. The staff were very helpful. If you can look passed the decor a good hotel and base to explore the area.

Room Tip: Room 20 spacious
Newcastle, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Where do I start....well possibly at how angry we all are and am getting as writing this review!! Arrived Sunday 6th July with my mother and 93year old disabled grandma and came to an unmanned desk (reception) , there was a buzzer to press which we did, and as I turned around we were just being stared at by waiting staff, a girl from the restaurant eventually came though and I said we were early for check in (which was 3pm) but were booked in for sunday lunch at 1.30pm. she barked back 9had to laugh about the warm welcome which is advertised on their board outside) that we couldn't check in until 3pm and I said that was fine, but we had been told we could store our luggage, so she stored the luggage away and then ushered us through to the restaurant - the seats were covered in crumbs (I take it was from the morning's breakfast). we all ordered the roast beef and the beef was so tough and we left about half of it(absolute joke that a rosette has been awarded for the food). after that my mum and gran went through to the "lounge" to have a pot of tea while I ran up to the MizenHead to see if they had any availability as we didn't even bother looking at our 2 rooms and just wanted to get out of the hotel....the hotel looks nothing like the pictures on the internet or the brochure we picked up near the reception, the place looked well worn and scruffy. the toilets near the restaurant were dirty and the bin overflowing! the lounge carpets were all stained , the walls marked and wallpaper coming off and everything looked liked it needed a damn good clean! luckily the mizzen head had 2 rooms available but only for 2 nights so we debunked to there...the mizzen head is the complete polar opposite to the Victoria...clean, bright, modern with lovely décor and above all staff that couldn't do enough for you. when we went back to the "reception" which was now manned the "lady" asked why were weren't staying, so we said about the lunch and the hotel being scruffy/dirty and looking absolutely nothing like the pictures on the internet and that we felt deceived her response (and only response) was "well you do know you won't get your deposit back"!!!!!!!! Not a word of apology and not mention of getting a manager!! we then had to struggle with our luggage and my gran in the wheelchair while she just sat and watched us from her chair and as we were leaving another elderly couple with a lady in a wheelchair were coming to check in and again she just sat and watched them struggle while we offered to help! Also when I made the booking I enquired about car parking and I was told there was off street parking or a public car park not far away but when I went out the back I could see a sign saying car park for use of victoria hotel guests! so to sum up we lost £231 in total for the room deposit (£190) and £41 for the awful sunday lunch, they wouldn't even give us a refund or take some money off for the food. I have been travelling around the world and stayed in £9 a night hostels that were cleaner and had much friendlier staff. We have discovered that the hotels are owned by a group called STR Enterprises Ltd (the honest lawyer at Durham is part of the group) so my letter of complaint will be sent to them tomorrow not that I expect to hear anything back as (sorry for the language) the "lady" on reception couldn't give a t*ss!! still so angry and would have made more of a complaint while there but my gran was getting more and more upset

Room Tip: Tip - do not stay here - go to the Lord Crewe or the Mizen head
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
15 Thank goldyb
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We were on our way up to Aberdeen and stayed at the Victoria for one night. We were travelling with our Jack Russell and needed a dog friendly hotel. The hotel was in a great location (5 minute walk to an amazing beach). The room was small but comfortable. Food in the hotel was lovely and the staff were very accommodating. I would certainly return and recommend it for a visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Really enjoyed this place - nice decor, friendly staff, great food - really nice rooms - and nicely located on a beautiful coastline! - took a 10 mile walk along the beach to Low Newton via seahouses - great location for walkers

Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Instead of me travelling from Sheffield to visit my widowed father in Lancashire, we decided to have a weekend away in a different area and booked a couple of rooms at the Victoria. We were concerned about previous negative reviews and have to agree that the hotel looks a little tired in places and in need of the refurbishment which is promised. However, this in no way spoiled a lovely weekend. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful and we enjoyed the food. The hotel is in a great location and you can arrive on Friday teatime like we did, dump your bags and in 5 minutes be walking on the beach watching terns diving into the sea near the castle. We intend to go back next spring.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburgh
Waren House Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick
Warkworth House Hotel
Warkworth House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Warkworth

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!