“marvellous food and service.”
Review of Mizen Head Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bamburgh
Mizen Head Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Bamburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We didn't stay at hotel but chose to eat there. This establishment is under new management and in fairness to the past owners I've never been for a lot of years. We chose to eat there in the new restaurant.
The new owners are striving to provide more than the bar meal experience which they have achieved magnificently. The food is absolutely beyond all expectation for a small restaurant in a busy touristy village. We had a two course dinner which was first class. The restaurant was busy but the staff just flowed by and got on with their work, nothing was too much trouble. I would recommend this place for a romantic meal for two or a night out with friends. It will be even better when the cocktail bar is in action later in the year.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank loveroaming48

Reviewed 6 January 2011

I stay at the Mizen four to five times a year for both business and pleasure reasons. The first thing you notice is the welcoming environment and friendly professional atmosphere created by the management team.

It is the perfect place to stay and its location is great for enjoying Bamburgh and the surrounding area. The views are amazing and rooms are modern and of a very good standard. The ones I have stayed in are all clean, pleasant and of a reasonable size.

I find the Mizens secret to a good stay is a great atmosphere, proper home cooked food and a comfy bed. The Mizen ticks all the boxes.

On a couple of occassions I have found the live music at a weekend of a very high standard and a pleasant surprise. Lucy on the piano was exceptional and definately someone to look out for in the future. Ken on the guitar created a memorable evening for locals and guests alike.

The level of customer service I always get from the Mizen is excellent and the owners are very hands on with nothing too much trouble for them. Chris does everything she can to make your stay as relaxing and enjoyable as possible.

After reading some of the other reviews I didn't find dogs or building work an issue on the occassions I have stayed. Personally I think the mizen is the best hotel and best run establishment in Bamburgh and would not stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank darrensmith74
Reviewed 14 October 2010

I have just returned from another fantastic 3 day break at the wonderful Mizen Head Hotel. Once again me and my husband were made very welcome by the 'family' of staff for whom nothing is too much trouble.
We stayed in our favourite room 4. A superior room that is at the front of the hotel with lovely views across the fields towards Seahouses. It was spotless, as is everything at the hotel. Although dogs are made very welcome, we have never seen a dog hair, a paw print or any other evidence of dogs in the rooms. The only complaint I would have concerning dogs on this occasion, was that some irresponsible dog owners were willing to leave their dogs barking in their room one morning, despite it being pointed out to them by a member of staff more than once.
Yes there is building work going on behind the hotel (it should have been completed by the Summer) but when I woke on the first morning I was amazed to see how many builder's vans were parked in front as I hadn't heard any of them! Indeed, I sleep far better in the lovely comfy bed than I do at home! We didn't have any occasion when the car park was blocked and we always had a space to park.
The food at the Mizen is very good and having tried other eateries in Bamburgh and the surrounding area, my husband declared Fiona's Fish and Chips as the best around (and I had perfect poached eggs at breakfast).
One of the best things about the hotel is that there is such a friendly atmosphere, staff and guests alike happily chatting like old friends. And, for us, the added bonus of a charity quiz night on Friday and wonderful live music on Saturday. On this occasion the young lady, Lucy if I remember rightly, who played the piano and sang (without a mic) was really gifted. Fantastic!
Would I recommend this hotel to friends? Definitely. But only the unstuffy ones who have a bit of 'life'!
Thanks Ken, Chris and all for another very enjoyable stay. We hope to be back soon!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2010

stopped at the mizen head hotel for a 7 night break, we paid extra for one of the more deluxe rooms, location was good as it was situated on the front of the hotel with nice views and room was of a decent size, although decoration was nice and adequate cleanliness / decoration could have been better there were marks on the wall paper stains on the bedspread, and stains on the table cloth that was on a small table which the tea making facilities sat on, and the tiling / grouting in the bathroom needed a good clean. The bed linen was adequate but the quilt and pillows left something to be desired more like a cheap all in £10 set from asda or woolies.

food wise the evening meal was not especially good and we only ate on the 1st night choosing else were to eat after that, and as for the breakfast that really did leave something to be desired certainly not something to look forward to - perhaps employing someone who could cook a decent breakfast would help on at least 3 mornings when i turned my sausages over they were as black as the ace of spades, plus a helping of oily fat from what the fried eggs had been cooked in didnt help, plus cheap ingredients in the form of orange juice and muesli, plus a bowl of fresh fruit most of which was past its sell by date and bruised.

yes dogs are allowed and while i am very much a dog lover, i too dont want to sit in a bar / restuarant eating a meal with dogs present, on the night we did eat there 4 dogs were in the eating area, so can understand why some people have objected to this.

now the noise problems on two nights the hotel security alarm went off after we had gone to sleep one at 1.30pm in the morning and on both occassions went on and on rarther loudly for well over 30 mins or more until it eventually turned its self off - lovely nights sleep that was i dont think - this made me ask one of the staff in the morning if any staff were left on the premises at night to which she replied no - so in a emergency you would be left to your own devices then !!! - this seemed to be backed up by the fact that you didnt have a front door key, and in the welcome brouchur in your room it stated that the front door would be locked at 11pm and if you returned after that time you had to ring a mobile number and wait for someone to come and let you in. - on another night there was entertainment going on in the breakfast room below our bedroom till well gone 11pm at night which also led to another nights disturbed sleep - there was supposed to be a weekly live music night on the friday night which had been cancelled - thanks god for that as one of the staff said sometimes it went on till the early hours of the morning, which quite obviously would then have been four nights out of 7 with distubed sleep - this was supposed to be a relaxing holiday !!!!

staff were helpful but overall the hotel seemed to lack good management which would of ironed out a lot of the problems i have listed above and which other reviews also listed.

yes there was building work going on at the back of the hotel which started early in the mornning and sometimes i noticed delivery lorries blocked the access to the drive so you had to wait for them to move before you could go out.

would i go back - not likely nore would i recommend

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank helicals
Reviewed 2 October 2010

My partner and I have just spent a couple of days at the Mizen Head Hotel while see the Northumbrian coast.
The staff were friendly, particularly Crissy who checked us in.
The room decor was very pleasant similar to the photos on the site.
We had driven quite some distance so decided to eat in the hotel on Thursday when we arrived. There was a pizza buffet and salad bar which was very good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 27 September 2010

The Good.
The food was cooked to order and was very nice, Fiona,s fish and chips was a massive meal. The girl on the bar was very helpful and pleasant. Thursday is pizza night, which was a nice change and the quiz on Friday nights is good fun , organised by some local people for charity.

The Bad.
We arrived early afternoon and were greeted by a young lady ,she was talking in spanish or something to a freind on a mobile phone. She tried to register us , but was having difficulty operating the laptop on reception, maybe this was because she was still on the mobile to her freind. Eventually she told us we were in room No 1, and showed us to our room. Great view of the workforce coming too and from the adjacent building site, builders cars and vans everywhere.

The room itself was clean and well decorated, then the night! We were in bed trying to sleep when the occupents of room 2 came in. When they were walking round it sounded as though they were in the same room as us. When they got into bed then our bed physically moved. The walls are obviouslly extremely thin???. The next night, new occupants in room 2. Young couple, very passionate, lots of noise, grunting and groaning........Nice. Won't bother with this one again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hopevalleydj
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Perhaps we expected too much, but we left disappointed after our stay.

First the good:-
Very friendly staff, fabulous views(at the front), good food, nice sized family room.
The bad:-
Ought to have informed us this backs onto an active building site. Work started before 8am on the Saturday morning.
Certainly ought to have told us that they had booked a 21st birthday party on the Saturday night. We couldn't use the main bar as it was full of party guests, and the music blared on past 12.30 at night. We booked were there with a small child and specifically advised we were treating our mother in law to a 60th birthday weekend break. Had we wanted to listen to tub-thumping music until the early hours we would have booked a stay next to a night club. On check out offered us £30 off our £460 bill.
Mucked up our deposit. Took £230 instead of £100, then despite protestations refused to accept we had paid £230 at checkout. I asked this to be checked with the manager who confirmed only £100 paid. Only after I'd returned home to prove that £230 taken from my account was the extra money refunded. Should not have come to this.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Cakhead
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburgh
Waren House Hotel
The Hog's Head Inn
The Hog's Head Inn
#4 of 5 in Alnwick
Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club

Been to Mizen Head Hotel? Share your experiences!