“Fantastic!”
Review of Mizen Head Hotel

Mizen Head Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Bamburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 March 2008

I stayed at the Mizen Head Hotel last weekend with my boyfriend and we had a wonderful time. The room was beautiful - modern yet classic - and had great conveniences, including an LCD TV! The hotel has recently been refurbished and has a very fresh and welcoming atmosphere. The staff were all very friendly and professional and the owners made us feel at home. Our meal was beautiful. The food is all locally sourced, giving a real taste of Northumberland, and the homemade stone-baked pizzas are to die for! We will definitely be returning next year - and the year after that!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lucifer_84

Reviewed 5 March 2008

The Mizen Head has just re-opened to reveal a fantastic, warm, friendly cosy place to stay in one of Northumberland’s historic and beautiful villages. For 18 months the hotel has been closed and during this time I have been working with the owners in planning my wedding and holding my wedding reception at the Mizen Head. The work that they have carried out has transformed this hotel into a modern, fresh and vibrant establishment with lots of key character features (the stain glass window and fires). From the start of the building process my partner and I had every faith that this renovation work would be carried out and finished come our wedding day, and the owners did us proud. The rooms are big and fabulously decorated with all modern facilities. The two family rooms have a sea view. Room 7 has a fantastic bathroom, fit enough for a queen, with a huge bath (3 people can fit in) and is a great room to pamper yourself and get ready. The food is second to none, I have been in the other establishments in Bamburgh and now I have sampled what the Mizen Head can offer I certainly will be back year in year out. The staff are friendly, and can’t do enough for you. The selection of beer, wines, ales and spirits are vast and not over priced. We felt thoroughly spoilt, looked after and all the guests at our wedding were in awe. Great job to the owners! Thank you for making our day so special. When I have the photo’s back I will post them for everyone to see the fine job that has been done.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank GwenThomson
Reviewed 24 October 2006

We found this a good value for money hotel in a beautiful location - open fire to sit by in the evening and we were just five minutes walk from the fabulous beaches to run our dogs. Some things a bit tired BUT Take note that this hotel will be completely altered and re-ffitted for the 2007 season so we can't wait to book again for next year.

Stayed: October 2006
1  Thank Mlesleye
Reviewed 30 July 2006

We have just stayed at this "Hotel" for 2 nights over the weekend.
We were told on the Friday evening that we could go on the "wait list " for a meal as a party had apparently soaked up the capacity of the kitchens !. The attitude of the staff to this was disgustingly unhelpful.
The room was terrible, small and cramped with dirty shabby paintwork as were the corridors. The window was cracked in the en-suite, the room door was so out of square that the fire protection was rendered ineffective.
We tried to find alternative accomodation but unfortunately everywhere else was full.
Oh and don't bother with the breakfasts - totally inedible, swimming in oil the first day and couldn't even get poached eggs right the second!.
I have to say quite the worst establishment I have ever stayed in

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Tecsgang
Reviewed 28 July 2006

I booked two nights at this hotel in early July in anticipation of a weeks stay in and around the North East. I should really have done more research prior to booking, although I had read previous reviews on Trip Advisor.
Upon booking the hotel owner/manager asked for £60 non- returnable deposit, and promised confirmation by return, which despite several requests never came. Upon arrival at the hotel on Wednesday 26/7/06 my first impression of the hotel reminded me of the Adams family home, the property looks tired and in need of a good makeover. The exterior paint is cracked and peeling and the grass was overgrown, though this was mown by Friday morning. The owners have selected off yellow half net curtains for the windows which look like old white ones in need of a wash. Then I realised that the hotel does not have ANY form of accreditation, if I had not already paid £60 deposit I would have turned the car around and gone to one of the other nearby hotels.
But we didn't and checked in, the welcome we received from the owners wife was pleasant, the room (family room for 2 adults and one teenager) was adequate, clean as was the bathroom. The tea tray was well stocked, the remote was missing from the small portable attached to the wall. Two of the sash windows (overlooking the castle) could not be opened as they had been painted shut, this left one UPVC window overlooking the kitchen which did open. The extractor fan in the bathroom is on its last legs.
The hotel has an overwhelming smell of air fresheners.
The hotel does employ some sterling staff, who throughout our two day stay worked hard and never seemed to go home.
In the evening the reception wasn't staffed so that was left to whoever was running the bar. This was frustrating if trying to get served drinks/food at the bar as the member of staff would be taking enquiries or bookings whilst you waited to give your order.
Another disappointment was the "games room" which comprises of a pool table and one serviceable cue, it wasn't pleasant in there as dinner plates with uneaten food and empty glasses were left in there for the duration of both evenings that we were there (advice to staff, just take a look about to see if anything needs doing!).
I did not find the breakfasts particularly pleasant, with over cooked bacon and very bland sausages, the fried bread is obviously deep fried, my son got a crust with his breakfast which was left, along with the bacon and sausages and poached eggs which tasted of vinegar.
The evening meals seemed very popular, and on both nights we had the hotels 'stone baked' pizza's which were superb.
During our visit I learned that the owners are looking to extend the hotel. I wish they would look at where they are at now and concentrate on all the little things that add up to me not wishing to return, and I know from speaking to one other guest that she felt the same. The owners should try and get some accreditation, I would be interested to know if they have had this at any time and are seeking it in future.
There are several other good hotels in Bamburgh, and upon visiting the Lord Crewe and the Victoria I regret not making further enquiries when initially thinking about staying in Bamburgh. We paid £188 for the three of us, for two nights B & B
This hotel has seen its day, as previously said, it needs serious investment, its main strength is its staff.

Mike Balfe & family.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
7  Thank MickyB79
A TripAdvisor Member
Carlisle
Reviewed 2 July 2006

I went to stay at the Mizon Head hotel with my class from Carlisle we stoped for 3 nights when we got to the hotel we were greated at the door and showen 2 are rooms this seemed very nice we went down satirs and had are tee this was sausage potato n beens this was yummy then on the mornig the food was discrasfull it was tomato puray on toast the food was ok after that the beds where cumfy and louises manners where great i want to go back but to be able to order what i want

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
New Hartley Northumberland
Reviewed 27 March 2006

We have just speant a great weekend in Bamburgh and the welcome we received at the Mizen was first class.
My husband travels all over the world and was more than pleased with the atmosphere and attention given to us and our dog. Well worth a visit.

P.S. Loads of hot water and very large baths!

• Stayed: March 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburgh
Waren House Hotel
4 mi away
Purdy Lodge
Purdy Lodge
#1 of 1 in Belford

Been to Mizen Head Hotel? Share your experiences!