All reviews family home tea and cake green room budle bay holy island the secret garden country house walk along the beach sweeping staircase offered tea great place for family grand piano honesty bar beautiful house porridge sitting room 'lived in'
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Budle Hall is a beautifully secluded late Georgian country house located just a mile or so from Bamburgh on the Northumberland Coast. Its west facing bedrooms enjoy fine views of the Cheviot. Holy Island dominates the horizon to the north. A few minutes’ walk from the house, are the seemingly endless sands of Budle Bay, now part of Lindisfarne Nature Reserve. From Budle, the coastal walk via Bamburgh and Seahouses to Craster is one of England’s great walks. This really is a place to get away from it all.

For much of its history, this house has been associated with the Baker-Cresswell family. When I first stayed in September of last year, the house had been tenanted for a number of years and was going through a period of change. Sorting and packing was evident. In the hall, a lingering smell of disinfectant suggested something slightly unpleasant. There was a sadness about the Hall. My stay had coincided with the end of a chapter. When I returned with my wife in May of this year, I discovered a Budle Hall completely reinvigorated. Ralph and Celia Baker-Creswell have returned home; there is no whiff of disinfectant. Gone is that almost imperceptible feeling of decay.

I commend Budle Hall to you wholeheartedly, not just for its location which is both beautiful and peaceful, but for the Baker-Creswell’s kindness and unselfconscious hospitality, which, goes far beyond the meaningless ticking of boxes. Little things are of course important – afternoon tea and biscuits, hot water bottles, even some rather good Ukrainian brandy -but what sets Budle Hall apart is that fact that Ralph and Celia have come home, they are delighted to be where they are, and are genuinely hospitable hosts. They like people. All this communicates. The place feels lived in. “Was it a bit of an invasion having all these people in his family home?” I asked, Eeyore like, uncomfortably imagining myself in the same position. Not at all, said Ralph, and he meant it. The place is both large and small: large enough to absorb the guests, but small enough to feel cosy and warm. There’s a particularly lovely ground floor drawing room - with wood burning stove - for the exclusive use of guests. Up the road at Bamburgh, there is a decent choice of dinner– and the separateness of the place means that the crowds are not overwhelming. One can walk from Budle Hall and completely forget about cars, but Holy Island, Alnwick and the wonderfully dotty Chillingham Castle are all within a short drive. A bus goes direct from the station at Berwick upon Tweed to the bottom of the drive.

I very much look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alastair L
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We spent a wonderful couple of nights there and sorry it wasn't longer. Celia and Ralph could not have been more welcoming with tea and cake upon arrival. Bedroom and the view were fabulous. Will certainly be returning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elaineeweston
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Probably the best B&B we have stayed in! From the moment of arrival Ralph & Celia made us feel as if we we personal guests, not paying guests in their stately hall. Our room was huge, light and airy with a bathroom to match. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice using local produce. The situation is great for all tourist activities and we will certainly stay again. Go try it for yourselves...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I have never given five stars before, but that is the only grade that can be given here. What a fantastic place. You spend the first 10 minutes wondering if you have arrived at some grand estate house, the next 10 admiring the awesome hall and staircase, before you are ushered into a stately drawing room for tea (and in our case some tremendous flapjack).

The bedrooms are amazing, and everything is so clean and sumptuous.

Added to this, Ralph and Celia are lovely hosts. They insisted on washing our cycling kit and gave us a lift to a pub for dinner. They are so relaxed and friendly. You really feel welcome and can relax in the astounding surroundings.

The whole experience continues through breakfast which is a very high standard indeed.

I have stayed in many hotels all over UK and abroad - this really is up there with the very best. take a visit and you will know what I mean. I am already booking my next trip...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank inb_edin
Reviewed 11 June 2014

A warm welcome from Ralph and Celia and Ziggy their dog. Our room was spacious, light and airy and the bathroom equally so. The bed and pillows were the best I have ever stayed on away and were pure luxury. Breakfast was all from local or home grown produce and our hosts were attentive to every need. A lovely family, lovely room and super tasty breakfast. A lovely tranquil location. Highly recommended

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends