All reviews family home tea and cake green room budle bay holy island the secret garden country house walk along the beach sweeping staircase offered tea great place for family grand piano honesty bar beautiful house porridge sitting room 'lived in'
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My son and I stayed at this Bed and Breakfast for one night (Friday 4th July) in the red room and were very impressed. We had friends staying in one of the other suites too. Celia and Ralph gave us such a warm welcome and provided us with a tray of tea and cakes on arrival. We were made to feel totally at home from the minute we walked in. The kids were shown where games were and almost immediately starting playing monopoly! The rooms were lovely and the beds were so comfortable and luxurious. Breakfast was amazing and some of it was even served up by one of Celia and Ralph's sons who was so polite! Would definitely recommend this B and B to anyone and will definitely be back ourselves. Thank you Celia and Ralph!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chend72
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Our seven-year-old son refers to Budle Hall as "the best hotel ever," and the three of us certainly had a lovely time there, thanks to Celia, Ralph, Kip and Walter's warmth and hospitality. People sometimes talk of being made to feel at home at B&Bs, but I think this is the first time I've really had that experience. Our son was introduced to archery and all kinds of northern outdoor pursuits with Kip and Walter; my husband and I enjoyed learning about the history of the house and the excellent coffee and conversation. We stayed in the pink rooms, which are very spacious and comfortable for a family (with a wonderful clawfoot tub in the middle of the huge bathroom). The location is ideal for walking on the beach and exploring Bamburgh. The only downside of our visit has been our son's incessant pleas to return immediately!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank blueinx
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Such a warm welcome from Celia and Ralph on our arrival. We came with 2 boys ages 5 and 3. Celia whisked them off to show them the extensive gardens and playroom whilst serving us tea and cake outside. We all felt looked after and on instantly on holiday. We stayed in the pink rooms, interconnecting family rooms with enormous private bathroom. Beautiful, spacious rooms with lots of extras including plenty teas/ coffees/ biscuits, toiletries in bathroom and collection of DVDs, magazines and books. We were even offered babysitting should we wish to put children to bed and enjoy an evening out. Tasty breakfast served at large table with other guests, lovely to meet new people and share plans for the day. Perfect location for exploring Bamburgh, Holy island and Sea houses. We shall be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank highlandCoo
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I booked two nights at Budle Hall for a treat for myself and my daughter... It was a surprise for her and the face she pulled when driving up the drive to the impressive and beautiful hall was a picture!
We were warmly welcomed by Celia and Ralph and their family.
We were made to feel at home immediately. The hall has a relaxed yet had the grand feel you would hope for in such an impressive property.
It is firstly a family home home and you are made to feel like house guests.
We stayed in a large twin room which had everything we needed, our private bathroom was across the hall and were given robes to use for our comfort.
The beds were extremely comfortable, with crisp white linens.
There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room which were well stocked as were the bathrooms with a selection of toiletries.
The hall was in full occupancy when we stayed and other than at breakfast in the morning we only saw and heard another guest once during our stay.
The halls location whilst secluded enough to be quiet and private is perfect for exploring the local area and attractions. Whilst here we visited Bamburgh itself; a short drive or a nice amble away, Seahouses again a short drive where you can access the Farne Islands by boat, HolyIsland and Lindasfarne Castle are just a 30 minutes drive away and so worth the journey.
Bamburgh beach is easily accessed from the property by a short walk across the field.

We thoroughly enjoyed the fabulous breakfast menu which was delicious and hearty, getting you ready for a day of exploring.
We made the most of the families DVD library and there are ample books in the rooms and the guests drawing and sitting rooms which were a great place to relax after a busy day along the coast.

I can not recommend Budle Hall highly enough. We throughly enjoyed our stay and are very grateful for the hospitality we were shown it made our trip all the more special

Room Tip: We stayed in the Red Room... which was a twin... it did have its own private bathroom which was across the hall. For some this may not be desirable but the hall has many en suite rooms. We where central to the property and on the main hall at the top of the main stair case... it was a quiet room so i can only imagine all are.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Budle Hall is a beautifully secluded late Georgian country house located just a mile or so from Bamburgh on the Northumberland Coast. Its west facing bedrooms enjoy fine views of the Cheviot. Holy Island dominates the horizon to the north. A few minutes’ walk from the house, are the seemingly endless sands of Budle Bay, now part of Lindisfarne Nature Reserve. From Budle, the coastal walk via Bamburgh and Seahouses to Craster is one of England’s great walks. This really is a place to get away from it all.

For much of its history, this house has been associated with the Baker-Cresswell family. When I first stayed in September of last year, the house had been tenanted for a number of years and was going through a period of change. Sorting and packing was evident. In the hall, a lingering smell of disinfectant suggested something slightly unpleasant. There was a sadness about the Hall. My stay had coincided with the end of a chapter. When I returned with my wife in May of this year, I discovered a Budle Hall completely reinvigorated. Ralph and Celia Baker-Creswell have returned home; there is no whiff of disinfectant. Gone is that almost imperceptible feeling of decay.

I commend Budle Hall to you wholeheartedly, not just for its location which is both beautiful and peaceful, but for the Baker-Creswell’s kindness and unselfconscious hospitality, which, goes far beyond the meaningless ticking of boxes. Little things are of course important – afternoon tea and biscuits, hot water bottles, even some rather good Ukrainian brandy -but what sets Budle Hall apart is that fact that Ralph and Celia have come home, they are delighted to be where they are, and are genuinely hospitable hosts. They like people. All this communicates. The place feels lived in. “Was it a bit of an invasion having all these people in his family home?” I asked, Eeyore like, uncomfortably imagining myself in the same position. Not at all, said Ralph, and he meant it. The place is both large and small: large enough to absorb the guests, but small enough to feel cosy and warm. There’s a particularly lovely ground floor drawing room - with wood burning stove - for the exclusive use of guests. Up the road at Bamburgh, there is a decent choice of dinner– and the separateness of the place means that the crowds are not overwhelming. One can walk from Budle Hall and completely forget about cars, but Holy Island, Alnwick and the wonderfully dotty Chillingham Castle are all within a short drive. A bus goes direct from the station at Berwick upon Tweed to the bottom of the drive.

I very much look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple