“Awful restaurant”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bamburgh
The Lord Crewe Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bamburgh
The Manor, Rugby Warwickshire
“Awful restaurant”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We waited over 45 mins for our food, then when it did eventually arrive, the vegetables we're rock hard and cold.

We sent the food back only to find that the SAME food was returned ten minutes later warmed up.

The staff we're clueless and poorly trained, the starter cutlery was left on the table even though we weren't having a starter, when we requested water at the table it was just plonked down on the table, no dialogue whatsoever, the waiter didn't make eye contact with me when I raised the issue of the cold food, there was minimal apology when the reheated food was returned to our table.

We had a far better meal a couple of nights earlier at the nearby and far less expensive Castle pub.

We will not be going back to The Wynding Inn at The Lord Crewe.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank 992264OP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We have stayed here several times in the past but it has changed. Formerly a 17-room hotel, part - including the car park - has been sold off for development as holiday apartments. This leaves a 9-room hotel with no car park, so one has to hope that spaces are available on the road outside, not easy at weekends or in the holiday season! The hotel is under new ownership and a certain something is lacking. Our room, while reasonably comfortable, was rather basic having no easy chair, no water glasses in the bathroom, no tissues and the double bed was rather small. On the plus side the small restaurant still served good food, with very friendly service that could not be faulted. Wine choice was not brilliant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ARM167
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I found this review hard to write as I work with quite a few hotels with my work....which involves taking people on photo-breaks in the north. Prior to this stay we had just enquired about further rooms later in the year, but the response was too slow (we had 2 people looking for a very quick answer on a date) so had to find other arrangements somewhere else...so I don't know if that affected things (though it shouldn't!!!)

Upon arrival I walked in with one of my guests to drop off some bags in the back office. We were met with a very unwelcoming response and my guest said he felt quite shocked by what he saw and heard. This sort of reception was maintained for the stay (from my viewpoint anyway), staff looking sombre, even fed up and I can't remember the last time I stayed anywhere when I wasn't asked things like 'was the room okay' 'was your breakfast okay' 'is everything okay' etc. To be honest I was grateful when the course ended...though me and my guests had all stayed an extra night...giving more business to this hotel. Obviously customer satisfaction is not high on the agenda here. (They have had new owners in the last few weeks!!!)

There was no parking at the hotel. There are around 7 parking slots on the road outside but these are for anyone, so will soon fill up etc. There was (last time I stayed) a small car park at the back....but this was full of building works as they are making some more accommodation. No-one ever mentioned the fact that the car parking was an issue (neither when I booked the rooms nor upon arrival). I am glad that our group only had 2 cars and not 5 as on normal courses.

My room was clean but the sink was so small I couldn't shave etc. I got wet each time I used that sink. The shower was superb, hot and strong. The breakfasts were nice too. The only person who chatted to use was the lady at breakfast, which the other guests also picked up on.

The hotel seemed quiet. We only saw a couple of others at breakfast...so we were even more surprised by the lack of gratitude that we had chosen to stay with them. After this episode I won't be going back there.

I do not like leaving such reviews but I felt compelled to leave this one.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank PhantomSnapper
Spennymoor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

the staff are friendly and helpfull, showing you the way as we went in the wrong door (whoops) looks lovely from the inside and out and the drinks taste lovley I shall be isitiing again soon (hopfully)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Ringmer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We have just returned from our 7th stay at the Lord Crewe and were delighted, that even after a recent takeover, the staff were still the same, and the new owner is local so it is in a safe pair of hands. Lovely food as always and as friendly as ever.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, whether twin or double, bath or just shower, but do book early as it is gett...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Lord Crewe in April 2014..We booked two nights on a recommendation from a relative. The hotel is more of a pub/restaurant with rooms above. When we arrived there was no parking so had to park on a side street. We entered the pub side and had a hearty welcome by lovely staff, pub light and airy with fab decor and our first impressions were good. Had a lovely sunday roast lunch, veg lovely and crisp and beautifully presented. We were shown to our room and immediately disappointed. The room was pokey and dull with not even a picture on the wall. Decoration a bit tired and dark. Our bathroom if you could call it that was tiny with a pathetic sink that you couldn't even clean your teeth in because it was so small and the tap stuck over it so you couldn't wash your face..toothpaste ended up on your feet! Saying that the shower was fantastic and hot water endless. Our bed throw was dirty with stains on and that upset us both so we took it off and the sheets were clean underneath. Bed was comfy. No reading light to read when one of you wants to sleep and the other read. Dinner in the restaurant was wonderful the food perfect as was breakfast. Told housekeeping about the throw and they apologised and offered to replace it which we declined as preferred just clean sheets. Mentioned the sink and the staff were aware that the sink was useless but didn't offer to change our room. I can't fault the staff as they were so lovely but I wouldn't recommend staying here due to the room...When I booked I was told you either had a room with a shower or a bath..I prefer a bath and my hubby a shower..so I booked the shower then I was told by a member of staff the baths have showers over them..so again was disappointed. You don't want to be out walking then not be able to wash your face or clean your teeth properly and then lie in a dull lifeless room....This could be a fab place with a little extra thought to the rooms.

Room Tip: Don't book room 2. Another couple we met had a room over the bar which was better than ours.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sarah E
Stirlingshire
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stopped in for a late lunch here at the Wynding Inn. Chose it because it looked a lot smarter from the outside than any of the other pubs in the village. We weren`t disappointed. Really well finished and we ordered the cod and chips on the recommendation of another customer. Truly massive plates of food duly arrived and were eventually demolished. Excellent! Didn`t have to eat for the rest of the day. We`ll go back when we`re next in the area.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Daljem
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburgh
Waren House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Eshott
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick

Been to The Lord Crewe Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!