“A pleasant friendly hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bamburgh
The Lord Crewe Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bamburgh
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Having booked a few weeks ago we were concerned about recent comments, but, after a four night stay, found no problems at all. We were welcomed very pleasantly, with the receptionist insisting on helping with our luggage, and taking trouble to explain how everything worked, meal arrangements etc. Our room, a standard one, was possibly a tad small, but had everything you could require and a good bathroom. A larger bed would have been better.The hotel was quiet, with no noise from adjoining rooms. The location is superb - a few minutes walk to Bamburgh Castle and to the beach, and right in the village. It is true that there are only half a dozen parking places at the hotel, but we got in each evening, and there is plenty of free parking within a couple of hundred yards.

Service in the restaurant was very good and the staff particularly willing. Food was good, well served and value for money. Portions are huge!

We may have been lucky, or previous reviewers unlucky, but we would happily stay here again, and we are moderately critical in such matters!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thamesboater

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I haven't stayed in this hotel so wouldn't know what the rooms had to offer, but did call in with my family to celebrate my birthday in the newly decorated restaurant.
We rang earlier in the day to book to avoid disapointment. When we arrrived we were greeted with a smile and the service from all of the staff throughout the whole of the meal was warm, inviting and attentive.
The menu had something for everyone; I chose salmon which was cooked to perfection whilst my sons both decided on a hearty steak, again mouthwatering and cooked exactly how they had ordered.
I would definately recommend giving this local hotel a try!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jacqui_5437
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The hotel is recently refurbished with a pleasant bar and restaurant. Our welcome was warm and friendly and we enjoyed a tasty dinner in the evening. Parking is limited due to the fact that part of the complex has been sold off for development, but there is plans of space further up the road.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank snapup7
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We waited over 45 mins for our food, then when it did eventually arrive, the vegetables we're rock hard and cold.

We sent the food back only to find that the SAME food was returned ten minutes later warmed up.

The staff we're clueless and poorly trained, the starter cutlery was left on the table even though we weren't having a starter, when we requested water at the table it was just plonked down on the table, no dialogue whatsoever, the waiter didn't make eye contact with me when I raised the issue of the cold food, there was minimal apology when the reheated food was returned to our table.

We had a far better meal a couple of nights earlier at the nearby and far less expensive Castle pub.

We will not be going back to The Wynding Inn at The Lord Crewe.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank 992264OP
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We have stayed here several times in the past but it has changed. Formerly a 17-room hotel, part - including the car park - has been sold off for development as holiday apartments. This leaves a 9-room hotel with no car park, so one has to hope that spaces are available on the road outside, not easy at weekends or in the holiday season! The hotel is under new ownership and a certain something is lacking. Our room, while reasonably comfortable, was rather basic having no easy chair, no water glasses in the bathroom, no tissues and the double bed was rather small. On the plus side the small restaurant still served good food, with very friendly service that could not be faulted. Wine choice was not brilliant.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ARM167
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I found this review hard to write as I work with quite a few hotels with my work....which involves taking people on photo-breaks in the north. Prior to this stay we had just enquired about further rooms later in the year, but the response was too slow (we had 2 people looking for a very quick answer on a date) so had to find other arrangements somewhere else...so I don't know if that affected things (though it shouldn't!!!)

Upon arrival I walked in with one of my guests to drop off some bags in the back office. We were met with a very unwelcoming response and my guest said he felt quite shocked by what he saw and heard. This sort of reception was maintained for the stay (from my viewpoint anyway), staff looking sombre, even fed up and I can't remember the last time I stayed anywhere when I wasn't asked things like 'was the room okay' 'was your breakfast okay' 'is everything okay' etc. To be honest I was grateful when the course ended...though me and my guests had all stayed an extra night...giving more business to this hotel. Obviously customer satisfaction is not high on the agenda here. (They have had new owners in the last few weeks!!!)

There was no parking at the hotel. There are around 7 parking slots on the road outside but these are for anyone, so will soon fill up etc. There was (last time I stayed) a small car park at the back....but this was full of building works as they are making some more accommodation. No-one ever mentioned the fact that the car parking was an issue (neither when I booked the rooms nor upon arrival). I am glad that our group only had 2 cars and not 5 as on normal courses.

My room was clean but the sink was so small I couldn't shave etc. I got wet each time I used that sink. The shower was superb, hot and strong. The breakfasts were nice too. The only person who chatted to use was the lady at breakfast, which the other guests also picked up on.

The hotel seemed quiet. We only saw a couple of others at breakfast...so we were even more surprised by the lack of gratitude that we had chosen to stay with them. After this episode I won't be going back there.

I do not like leaving such reviews but I felt compelled to leave this one.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank PhantomSnapper
Reviewed 20 May 2014

the staff are friendly and helpfull, showing you the way as we went in the wrong door (whoops) looks lovely from the inside and out and the drinks taste lovley I shall be isitiing again soon (hopfully)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bamburgh
Waren House Hotel
Eshott Hall
Eshott Hall
#1 of 1 in Eshott
Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Marshall Meadows Country House H...
#2 of 3 in Berwick-upon-Tweed
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick

Been to The Lord Crewe Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!