“Worst food & service at a resturant”
Review of Blue Bell Hotel

Blue Bell Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Belford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 October 2012

On arrival we were ignored by the staff,we then waited 10 minutes to be shown to a table,there were tables empty so it wasn't as if they were full. When finally seated,we waited a further 15 minutes for the waitress to take our order,this seemed difficult as her english wasn't fluent.
Starters arrived,the mushroom soup was like a coloured water & lacked taste,the camembert cheese was cold obviously cooked sometime before it was served.
Main meal arrived,for me it was a well done sirloin steak,so well done it was burnt & looked very much like a old leather shoe,this arrived without a steak knife, tried using the knife that was on the table, however using this shook the table. In desperation I got up to find myself a steak knife! The waitress only then realised that she never gave me a steak knife at the start of my meal!
My partners meal was fine, she had a burger. Oh there was also no wine list to start with we had to ask the waitress if we could order drinks or not?
As the night progessed, we overheard another customer complaining, he was really unhappy with his meal and he refused to pay for it!
Dessert, there was no visible menu for this, the waitress never returned after clearing our plates away so again we had to find a way to get some service. After all this, I decided that maybe the Tia Maria cheesecake will make up for the overdone steak.......Looked delicious when it arrived, but no no no it did not taste anything like Tia Maria, it tasted of just cheesecake, the cream was squirty cream, this is not good!!!!
To crown it all, let me not forget to mention the SQUEEKY DOOR from the resturant to the kitchen, this noise carried on throughout our meal which became really irittating, I'm sure the chef has some spare oil he could use to fix this!
I don't normally complain about things but I feel so strongly that this was my worse dining out experience and will never go back to this place!!
M Hutchinson
Berwick Upon Tweed

Reviewed 13 October 2012

Ok- this was a deal with KGB but quite honestly I wouldn't have paid any more for this 'hotel' . We decided to 'dine' in this establishment- this was a bad idea. Firstly we waited 20 minutes for our order to be taken, then out of about 20 choices there is 1 yes 1 vegetarian choice, ans if you're not a cheese lover you won't want vegetarian lasagne! So as an occasional fish eater I chose the langoustine starter as a main course but - not available. Only option ( except battered fish) was sea bream- came head tail bones and all- absolutely horrific. I asked if they could fillet it but it came back full of bones. Staff were unsympathetic and generally uninformed- they could not answer any question about the menu choices. The room was dated and the bed uncomfortable. WIFI was not available as advertised, and I am writing this before even sampling the breakfast! Definitely one of the worst choices I've made for weekend getaway :-((

Room Tip: Unless it's ultra cheap give it a body swerve!
Reviewed 12 October 2012

My sister gave us a voucher for a 2 night stay (KGB) and after reading the mixed reviews did not have high expectations. The bottom line is the Blue Bell Hotel is a very old establishment, creaky floor boards, strange room layouts, frequented by hotel guests and locals alike - and if you accept it for what it is you can enjoy a very pleasant few days. We had room 9 which had a large bathroom and moderate sized bedroom area. The mattress was a little soft for my liking - but on both nights we slept well. We ate in the dining room one evening and in the bar the next and the choice and quality of the food was excellent and large portions too. Breakfast was enjoyable but as a constructive comment the sausage was too highly flavored with herbs and onion it spoiled the rest of the food. Breakfast on day two I asked for two poached eggs on toast and they were cooked perfectly. Belford is well situated for trips to the Holy Island, Seahouses and Alnwick though the town itself seemed to have little to offer.

1  Thank Lyndamac
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We have eaten in both their pub and restaurant and stayed here on a number of occasions in the lead up to our wedding reception being held here on 7th July 2012. We have only ever had great quality food (especially steak night) and friendly service at this hotel and can never understand the bad reviews. We cannot fault this hotel.

In planning our wedding, we liaised with the wedding coordinator, Gemma, extensively and she was always happy to help, was so flexible and went out of her way to make our big day special. This was the only reception venue that we found where our wedding really could be the way we wanted it to be and not form part of a package. The food choices were extensive, we were able to bring our own wine and the ballroom was a fabulous room to hold our reception in.

On the wedding weekend itself, The Blue Bell provided a buffet on the friday night - all the food was great quality, and as for the quantity, even all our hungry guests could not finish it all. On the day of the wedding, my bridesmaids were allowed to bring me breakfast in bed and when I said all I wanted was a big bowl of porridge, they made sure it was a massive bowl to keep me going!! Gemma popped in throughout the day, checking if there was anything we needed, she supplied us with a full length mirror and helped with the flowers and getting me (bride) in the car! The food at the reception was fantastic, this was commented on by alot of our guests (even mentioned in the wedding video and guest book!). The Blue Bell even arranged a last minute three course meal menu for the remaining guests on the Sunday night at short notice, once again the food was great.

Overall, it was the service that was the most outstanding, all the staff could not do enough for you. The cleaners could not do enough for you, the bar and restaurant staff were fabulous and the chefs did an amazing job feeding a hungry bunch of food loving guests all weekend.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone - a weekend break, holiday or wedding. Thank you to everyone at the Blue Bell for the best wedding ever!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank deejay153
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We stayed on a 2 day KGB deal and thought it was great value for money. We stayed in the main Hotel and our room was cute with a great view over looking the garden.
We recieved a free bottle of wine for eating in the restaurant, whcih our meal was fantastic home cooked food.
I do not usually like B&B breakfasts as they are usually cheap i.e rusk sausage but the breakfast here was of a very high quality.
I am going to go to Northumberland next year and approach them if we can stop at the KGB price from last year and fingers crossed.
We had a great holiday went on our motorbikes and visited many areas in Northumberland castles, jails, and found some excellant bike roads, which is why i cant wait to go again.

The only negative is i thought The Uk had noise laws between 7am and 11pm and the church clock went off every hour all night, and the extractor fan.

Room Tip: Join National Trust for a year and visit Northumberland, it is such a great place.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sdicko25
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Like others, we stayed here on a 2 night KGB deal. Reading their reviews, it looks like we got one of the better rooms at the back of the main hotel overlooking the garden. Despite this, the room looked tired and the bathroom very dated. One reviewer in April stated that the light in the bathroom in room 12 was missing its cover and it still is now in late September! Dangerous, not sure.
We didn't dine in the restaurant on the first night because we were told the chef had refused to cook any of the specials the previous night!! We did book a table for the second night as there are not alot of places to dine in Belford. Probably didn't need to because it was nowhere near full. Wish we hadn't bothered. Ordered pate which was mediocre, definetly cheap shop bought stuff and it came with 2 small oatcakes. Next we ordered fillet steak with maderia sauce off the specials board. Yes specials were being cooked that night but we were informed they had run out of fillet. With this, the lady who appeared to be in charge disappeared with a, 'I'll come back when you've decided on something else'. It just went from bad to worse after this. We waited 25 minutes for someone to clear our plates when we had finished our main and then when we asked for the sweet menu we waited another 15 minutes and had to ask again before one was brought because some staff were busy having a cigarette outside the main entrance to the hotel! Staff seemed almost disinterested and the same staff appeared to be running reception, bar and restaurant.
Would definetely not eat here again for evening meal.
However the breakfast was very nice and to be fair for what we paid for bed and breakfast for the 2 nights it wasn't bad. I suppose you get what you pay for but would have been very disappointed if we had paid full price. Have stayed at far better places in Northumberland previously.

Room Tip: Try for a room in the main part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Like other reviewers we took advantage of a two night stay at the Blue Bell through KGB deals but unlike them had a room in the main hotel and we couldn't fault it! It's an old coaching inn with some interesting original features, and our room overlooked the garden at the rear. Perhaps the only comment was that we realised that the church clock nearby would strike the hour all through the night but it wasn't that loud that it kept us awake. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the inn, with clean, warm, attractive, comfortable and well accessorised accommodation, a great cooked breakfast in the mornings and lovely meals in the evening. If anything, the portions were too large, and that's nothing to complain about! The staff were great, and special thanks to Denise who was on duty night and morning while some staff members were off sick. It's a good centre for exploring. We visited Holy Island, Alnwick, and Bamburgh, and explored some of the coastal towns and villages. We'd go back to the Bell any time!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belford
Waren House Hotel
Eat & Sleep Lindisfarne
Well House
Well House
#7 of 13 in Belford

Been to Blue Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!