“Lovely stay”

Ranked #5 of 13 Belford B&B and Inns
sevier123
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Like many other guests we had a 3 night break through a KGB deal. Lovely big room overlooking garden, great staff, delicious breakfasts and the restaurant served lovely evening meals. Great value, big portions. Very well situated for visiting local area. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend and can't understand why some guests have a moan about it to be honest.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the garden
1 Thank sevier123
bluebellheidi, Public Relations Manager at Blue Bell Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write us a positive review. We are very pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
cornwall
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Blue Bell, which was through KGB and therefore at a very low price. I thought that it was a pub with lots of rooms and a very good restaurant. The rooms were comfortable and clean although some of the decor was a little tired. The food was great, especially the porridge which was delicious, the best I have ever tasted. The menu was interesting and the specials changed through our stay. Staff were slow to serve in the restaurant area, but that was because it was a weekend and very busy. I wish I lived closer as I would visit more often. Some of the staff were not British, but they were all lovely and friendly, as were the locals in the bar. It claimed to be relaxed comfortable and family run and that was exactly what it felt like. I really enjoyed my stay here.

1 Thank puddingthedog
We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us here at the blue bell, and especially our porridge!
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Have just had a short two night break at this Inn and had a most enjoyable stay. The room was spacious and comfortable and all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. The only minor problem with the room was a painfully slow hot water tap in the bathroom sink.
We ate in the hotel restaurant on both nights and the meals were excellent and very good value for money, the breakfasts were also very good with plenty of choice.

2 Thank Quaker_11
Thank you for your review, we are pleased you had an enjoyable stay - despite the slow running tap which unfortunately is part and parcel of a 300 year old coaching inn. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Lancs
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed 3 nights on a KGB B&B deal in mid October 2012. Our room was quite spacious, clean and warm. There were 3 mirrors plus one in the ensuite and really good lighting in the room (most unusual and very welcome). Yes the place is very old but full of character and the staff were very pleasant and helpful.
As previous reviewers have said the breakfasts were great, hot and cold food, lots of variety and well presented. Service was good too. Unlike some reviewers, we were actually impressed with the food in the restaurant for lunch and dinner. There was a varied menu and although the prices were not cheap they were good value and the food was very tasty and enjoyable. It was nice to eat in and only have to walk upstairs afterwards ! Also had a free bottle of wine in the deal price !
My only complaint would be that the rubber strip on the bottom of the glass shower screen on the bath was filthy. Although this was underneath and only exposed if the screen was moved I think it should have been wiped over every now and then. Otherwise everywhere was very clean and bright .
Hotel is in a quiet village but not too far from Berwick or Alnwick , The scenery is beautiful and of course the beach and coastline are also nearby. Would be very good in summer (if we ever get any in UK !)
Yes a very nice break and a good place to stay .

Room Tip: We were in room 2 which is over the bar area but heard no noise from below at all .
Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

On arrival we were ignored by the staff,we then waited 10 minutes to be shown to a table,there were tables empty so it wasn't as if they were full. When finally seated,we waited a further 15 minutes for the waitress to take our order,this seemed difficult as her english wasn't fluent.
Starters arrived,the mushroom soup was like a coloured water & lacked taste,the camembert cheese was cold obviously cooked sometime before it was served.
Main meal arrived,for me it was a well done sirloin steak,so well done it was burnt & looked very much like a old leather shoe,this arrived without a steak knife, tried using the knife that was on the table, however using this shook the table. In desperation I got up to find myself a steak knife! The waitress only then realised that she never gave me a steak knife at the start of my meal!
My partners meal was fine, she had a burger. Oh there was also no wine list to start with we had to ask the waitress if we could order drinks or not?
As the night progessed, we overheard another customer complaining, he was really unhappy with his meal and he refused to pay for it!
Dessert, there was no visible menu for this, the waitress never returned after clearing our plates away so again we had to find a way to get some service. After all this, I decided that maybe the Tia Maria cheesecake will make up for the overdone steak.......Looked delicious when it arrived, but no no no it did not taste anything like Tia Maria, it tasted of just cheesecake, the cream was squirty cream, this is not good!!!!
To crown it all, let me not forget to mention the SQUEEKY DOOR from the resturant to the kitchen, this noise carried on throughout our meal which became really irittating, I'm sure the chef has some spare oil he could use to fix this!
I don't normally complain about things but I feel so strongly that this was my worse dining out experience and will never go back to this place!!
M Hutchinson
Berwick Upon Tweed

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Belford hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Ok- this was a deal with KGB but quite honestly I wouldn't have paid any more for this 'hotel' . We decided to 'dine' in this establishment- this was a bad idea. Firstly we waited 20 minutes for our order to be taken, then out of about 20 choices there is 1 yes 1 vegetarian choice, ans if you're not a cheese lover you won't want vegetarian lasagne! So as an occasional fish eater I chose the langoustine starter as a main course but - not available. Only option ( except battered fish) was sea bream- came head tail bones and all- absolutely horrific. I asked if they could fillet it but it came back full of bones. Staff were unsympathetic and generally uninformed- they could not answer any question about the menu choices. The room was dated and the bed uncomfortable. WIFI was not available as advertised, and I am writing this before even sampling the breakfast! Definitely one of the worst choices I've made for weekend getaway :-((

Room Tip: Unless it's ultra cheap give it a body swerve!
East Calder, Scotland
Reviewed 12 October 2012

My sister gave us a voucher for a 2 night stay (KGB) and after reading the mixed reviews did not have high expectations. The bottom line is the Blue Bell Hotel is a very old establishment, creaky floor boards, strange room layouts, frequented by hotel guests and locals alike - and if you accept it for what it is you can enjoy a very pleasant few days. We had room 9 which had a large bathroom and moderate sized bedroom area. The mattress was a little soft for my liking - but on both nights we slept well. We ate in the dining room one evening and in the bar the next and the choice and quality of the food was excellent and large portions too. Breakfast was enjoyable but as a constructive comment the sausage was too highly flavored with herbs and onion it spoiled the rest of the food. Breakfast on day two I asked for two poached eggs on toast and they were cooked perfectly. Belford is well situated for trips to the Holy Island, Seahouses and Alnwick though the town itself seemed to have little to offer.

1 Thank Lyndamac
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belford
Purdy Lodge
Eat & Sleep Lindisfarne
Well House
Well House
#6 of 13 in Belford

Been to Blue Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!