“A Diamond in the Coal”
Review of Purdy Lodge

Purdy Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Belford
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We arrived at The Purdy Lodge mid afternoon and were met by a smiling receptionist who checked us in swiftly. Our room was lovely and immaculately clean. Modern bathroom with bath and shower, huge super kingsize bed with gorgeous white linen, flat screen TV and coffee/tea and shortbread. We really had everything we needed. Our heater wasnt working and as we were going out for a look around we informed reception, we returned about an hour later and the heater was fixed. We had opted for Breakfast and Dinner and headed down to eat at around 8pm. The restaurant part is very nice with a modern look. The staff couldnt do enough and were very very friendly and attentive. The menu is quite modern which we loved. My other half had prawn and cray fish to start and I had Mushrooms in a filo basket, for main he chose Lamb stew and I chose beef stroganoff, everything was presented beautifully and tasted amazing. Top marks to the chef!! Drinks are a little pricey with a pint of Stella being £3.20 and a large dry wine £4.05. There is also a cafe next door that you can use, this is open 24 hours a day and serves just about anything, excellent and very handy. Overall the staff here are something else, obviously hired for their excellent manners and smiling natures. We would definately return here its a lovely lovely hotel and we were sad to leave after having a wonderful weekend. An excellent base to explore this gorgeous area.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scallyally

Reviewed 17 March 2011

Great place to stay and really easy to get to, great transport links. The rooms are all at the back of the hotel facing toward Bamburgh Castle and the sea so you get a great view. Our room and bathroom were really comfortable and clean with freeview TV and plenty of teas and coffees. We had an evening meal in the restaurant which was excellent and we found the staff to be really friendly and helpful. Would definately stay again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pip01073
Reviewed 1 March 2011

my genuine opinion of this hotel.
Staff wonderful helpful and attentive, but given too much to do, some minor mistakes made, Food excellent out of this world, bar area, comfortable.
Rooms unfortunatly these let the hotel down somewhat. Tired and a bit dirty, the sheets appeared clean, carpet disgusting, kettle disgusting, windows dirty.
A new coat of paint had just been applied in my opinion a waste of time.
The bathroom terrible...urine stains on the toilet seat, mouldy grout, tired shower cutain and a shower head I would not allow anywhere near me.
The manager should spend a couple of nights in each room and see what are simply minor faults which could so easily be rectified.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bumblebush
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Stayed one night at the Purdy Lodge. Have previously stayed here a couple of years ago but the whole lodge has been given a makeover - the rooms being redecorated and the bar/lounge and restaurant having been structually altered and redecorated. The owners have made a excellent job of this. Room was very comfortable and food was very good. Staff very friendly and helpful. Handy place to stay on the A1.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hollieberry
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Panic stations on the way to Scotland as hadn't booked anything for the overnight stay on the way up. Was just starting to get a little anxious when we saw Purdy Lodge by the side of the A1 and stopped on the off chance. A really excellent little find. We needed 2 rooms as I was travelling with my father. They found a ground floor room for him, and another for me - close, but not too close! The rooms were ideal for an overnight stay - a good bit better than any of the chains, but for a similar price. The real winner was the food - excellent evening meal, with a good range of locally produced choices, and a good wine list at very reasonable prices. Breakfast nearly as good. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Great views across the fields from the rooms (all away from the road). All in all, an ideal place for a North/South stopover. Much better value that the Travelodge we used on the way back down.

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank FionaH27
Reviewed 17 September 2010

Great value for money. Clean, good service and a good meal from the restaurant. Convenient location off the highway, view across to Bamburgh Castle from our room. Very comfortable for the price.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank traveller99981
Reviewed 7 July 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Purdy Lodge as a base to explore Northumberland and for this reason the hotel was ideal.

I originally booked the hotel because it was in a perfect location and the price was so good, at £130 for 3 nights room only. However, we had to check out in the early hours as I wasn't very well and was in no mood to add up the rather confusing invoice when I paid for our stay. When we got home I realised they had charged us £170 and when I rang to complain I was simply told that because I hadn't originally recieved any confirmation from them they couldn't do anything about it.

The bathroom was also rather dirty, with hairs and dust all over the toilet, so I'm not sure when it was last cleaned! I also didn't realise that when I chose a king size bed it meant two single beds pushed together.

The waiting staff in the restaurant were very friendly and could not be faulted, although the receptionist was quite rude for the duration of our stay. The menu at first glance looked a little expensive but was fairly good value, and there was a cafe adjoining the hotel as a cheaper option.

Overall the Purdy Lodge is a good base for exploring Northumberland as its right on the A1, however it is not without its faults and I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dancingqueen123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belford
5 mi away
#1 of 3 in Bamburgh
The Hog's Head Inn
The Hog's Head Inn
#3 of 5 in Alnwick

Been to Purdy Lodge? Share your experiences!