“Not bad but needs work.”
Review of Purdy Lodge

Purdy Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Belford
York
“Not bad but needs work.”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The room was clean and large enough, with a comfortable bed, but the shower was pretty much useless - there wouldn't have been enough water pressure to rinse shampoo out of hair! Luckily I wasn't in a rush, so I was able to run a a bath, which conversely filled up really quickly, with no shortage of hot water.
The staff on reception wanted to charge a late checking-out fee but we explained that we'd had to wait 45 minutes for our breakfast to arrive in their cafe (it was definitely not worth the wait, by the way), and they (slightly begrudgingly) waived it.

I don't normally bother to write TripAdvisor reviews, but the mostly positive feedback on here made me expect a nicer experience than I think I actually received, so I thought I'd redress the balance a bit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
lodge28, Front Office Manager at Purdy Lodge, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I would like to thank you for bringing our attention to the problem with the shower and we will look into this matter. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the breakfast that you had in the cafe. I hope that you feel as though you would give us another chance in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I was undecided if to book this hotel , but wow I am glad I did . On arrival a very friendly receptionist,told us everything we needed to know . On arriving in the room , the fan shaped towels arranged on the bed was a very nice touch. The view from the window was over open farmland to the sea and castle The room was very clean and complementary toiletries in the bathroom ,. We ate in the bar and cannot fault the tasty food . The atmosphere was very relaxed ,just what you want after a long day . The staff on duty were friendly and polite . The hotel was very quiet in the night even though it was full ,so a good nights sleep was had .Overall this is a great little hotel and will certainly return and would highly reccommend to anyone visiting the area looking for a good value stop over .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aggs321
Thank you very much for such a lovely review! We are all very happy to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you would recommend us to others! We look forward to seeing you again!
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The hotel is right at the side of the A1 and next to a truck stop and filling station, please do not that put you off. Certainly ideal location for those on business. We were holidaying in the area and found the location very convenient for visiting local attractions.

Staff were very friendly and very helpful, could not have been nicer. The bar and and restaurant area airy and clean and the drinks and food were perhaps a little expensive but certainly not excessive as far as hotel prices go.

We ate breakfast at the hotel and it was more than sufficent, plenty of choice and I the cooked breakfasts were basic but made with quality sausages and decent bacon, making a pleasant change from the usual cheap rubbish you get. We also had one evening meal which sadly was not that wonderful. the fish I am told was bland and my chicken was over cooked to the point it was dry.

We had a family room which was clean and comfortable. The adult beds were comfy, however I drew the short straw and got the kids bed which as a fully grown adult was uncomfortable, Probably ok for and 8yr old though.

The en-suite was well equipped however the bath had very high sides making it difficult for those with mobility issues to get in and out, so worth asking for a shower room if you are unsteady on your feet or struggle climbing in and out a bath.

I said earlier that the hotel was clean and it is eye level and below, however a good dust would not go amiss on the dado rails and skirting on the corridors and on ledges such as the curtain finials and the plastic plants decorating the stairs were dusty.... did question the one that looked like a cannabis plant!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for leaving us a review following your stay. I am glad that for the most part you were happy with your stay and I would like to thank you for bringing our attention to the issues that you raised. We appreciate all feedback that our customers give us and view this as an opportunity to improve our service that we provide. I hope that we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times. Each time I have been a weary traveller, getting out of a car into the cold. The Pudy Lodge staff have always given me a warm greeting, a very comfortable bed and a goodnigt's sleep. Thr also do a fantastic, freshly cooked full English in the morning. The hotel also has a marvellous view of the gorgeous coastline. The hoel is ideally situated, being a beacon of light in an otherwise lonely stretch of road, with no other stops before Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MoiraSpeed
lodge28, Front Office Manager at Purdy Lodge, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review! We are really pleased that you always enjoy your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again!
Bradley Stoke Bristol
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I chose this hotel because there were 3 of us, and it had a 3 bedded room available, and a lot of other hotels were fully booked as it was Easter.The hotel is basically a truck stop on the A1 but like a motel. The room we had was in desperate need of refurbishment(rm5) ,the floor board was broken near the dressing table. It was just a bit shabby really, but the bed was extremely uncomfortable with springs poking up in all directions, and when I sat up to read it moved away from the headboard , which was annoying.Also the sheets were lovely quality but not applied to the bed very well so that they were coming off when i got into the bed. The tv was very good and so was the speed of the wifi which was free. The bathroom only had a shower cubicle which had dirty soap scum around the edge so all together not very well cleaned.Clean towels were plentiful every day of our 3 night stay.Tea and coffee making facilities were fine with biscuits provided.The bar and restaurant areas were nice also the Cafe One was good with a good choice of cakes etc. These were not so shabby as the rooms, and food was plentiful albeit slightly on the greasy side. The staff were helpful and fairly friendly, but seemed to be multitasking all the time!

Room Tip: Room 5 was at the rear of the building so quiet and well away from the A1
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank alisonbass
lodge28, Front Office Manager at Purdy Lodge, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review following your stay with us over Easter. I am very sorry that there were a few issues that you were unhappy with during your stay. We have now completely replaced the bed in room 5 and we are very sorry that it was not in an acceptable condition for you whilst you were with us. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future and that we get the opportunity to welcome you back.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Lovely little hotel.

Was only expecting travel lodge quality due to previous reviewers but got much more.

Booked last minute as we decided to add an extra night to our trip away, we arrived just 4 hours later and was allowed to check in early (so gets an extra star).

The room was lovely and clean with a view out across open fields. Equipped with Flat screen tv, free wifi, hospitality tray and super bath.

Location was very close to Bamburgh about a 10 minute drive which was ideal for exploring the castle & beach.

Didn't eat at the hotel but the bar area looked nice.

My only negative was that the room was very cold when we arrived, but we soon warmed up with the heater.

Great value for £55.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lauradennison
Thank you very much for your review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that we managed to exceed your expectations! We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Stayed here for two nights and found it very comfortable and pleasantly quiet. Within easy driving distance to Bamburgh and Alnwick Castles, went to both, and highly recommend a walk on Bamburgh beach, stunning..... Plenty of tea and coffee in the room and oodles of hot water, very friendly and helpful staff. I would recommend eating in the adjoining café, open seven days a week and twenty four hours a day. Food was cheaper than eating in the restaurant, but of the same quality, and amount. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review. I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for all your kind comments. We all look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belford
Doxford Hall Hotel
Doxford Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chathill
Dunstanburgh Castle Hotel
Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Marshall Meadows Country House H...
#2 of 3 in Berwick-upon-Tweed
#1 of 1 in Eshott
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick

Been to Purdy Lodge? Share your experiences!