“great”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Belford
London, United Kingdom
“great”
Reviewed 17 September 2010

Great value for money. Clean, good service and a good meal from the restaurant. Convenient location off the highway, view across to Bamburgh Castle from our room. Very comfortable for the price.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank traveller99981

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Yorkshire
Reviewed 7 July 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Purdy Lodge as a base to explore Northumberland and for this reason the hotel was ideal.

I originally booked the hotel because it was in a perfect location and the price was so good, at £130 for 3 nights room only. However, we had to check out in the early hours as I wasn't very well and was in no mood to add up the rather confusing invoice when I paid for our stay. When we got home I realised they had charged us £170 and when I rang to complain I was simply told that because I hadn't originally recieved any confirmation from them they couldn't do anything about it.

The bathroom was also rather dirty, with hairs and dust all over the toilet, so I'm not sure when it was last cleaned! I also didn't realise that when I chose a king size bed it meant two single beds pushed together.

The waiting staff in the restaurant were very friendly and could not be faulted, although the receptionist was quite rude for the duration of our stay. The menu at first glance looked a little expensive but was fairly good value, and there was a cafe adjoining the hotel as a cheaper option.

Overall the Purdy Lodge is a good base for exploring Northumberland as its right on the A1, however it is not without its faults and I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dancingqueen123
Lake District
Reviewed 17 March 2010

Convenient for travelling north or south and for seeing Northumberland.
Room - excellent though cold when we arrived. Evening meal was good, though not all items available. Breakfast - adequate, but continental a bit sparse.
I would definitely stay again, but the only real downside was the bill.
Be sure and check it!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane046
sunderland
Reviewed 15 February 2010

we arrived at the hotel and was greeted by freindly staff given our keys and got off to our room, small for a family but adequate my husband commented on the shower lookin slightly dirty and sink being cracked we would have to be careful, kids scurried round room as they do and found bits off toys left off other visitors with their delight drawers had some chocolate egg in and by then kids were looking under beds and pulled out a stained pair of womens knickers my husband then said enough and went to complain the staff were apologetic and offered to clean for us as way of compensation we were offered also a breakfast for the next morning which i hadn,t booked as it would of worked out expensive for us the food was nice and again they apologised but i wouldn,t choose to stay here again as i do believe for the price the cleanliness should of come first

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank jomagoo
Stirling, Scotland
Reviewed 19 October 2009

We stayed here for two night bed and breakfast and also ate in the restaurant both nights - very good fish dishes. It is easy to find on the A1 yet quiet as the bedrooms are at the back. The staff are all friendly and helpful and work very hard.

It is a good base for exploring Northumberland - we went to Bamburgh Castle and beach (5 miles) and Alnwick Castle and Gardens (around 10 miles).

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kameko
leeds,UK
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Stayed at Purdy lodge en route to Scotland. Despite its location right on the A1 it was very quiet but we did have a room at the back (with a view of Bamburgh Castle in the distance). We had a great,home cooked meal in the restaurant which was reasonably priced but could have eaten in the 24 hour cafe next door (which was also excellent and tried that for brunch on the way back). Rooms were like slightly more upmarket travel lodge,nice and functional,beds very comfortable. The usual tea,coffee facilities and flat screen TV. Also had a bath and shower over. Looks like it had recently been updated. would also be a good cheap option if touring Northumberland. NB. we got a cheaper deal using Bookings.com rather than through the hotel itself. Breakfast costs extra.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gladysleeds
tyne and wear
Reviewed 4 October 2009

The hotel is situated to the left of the services area which contains a garage and large shop. There was ample car parking available.
Checking in was quick and problem free. We arrived at 2.30pm and were greeted warmly and given our room key, which was a swipe card.

We were told that hot and cold food is available 24 hours a day in the coffee shop 'Cafe One' which is attached to the hotel. Next to Reception is a bar and also a restaurant which serves breakfasts and evening meals, although snacks are available throughout the day.

Our room was on the ground floor. There are only 20 rooms in the hotel, they are all non-smoking, and they all at the rear of the building facing the coast and away from the busy A1.
On entering the room the first thing I noticed was the huge king size bed! Also in the room were two chairs, a wall mounted 26" flat screen TV, with freeview channels, hanging space for your clothes and shelves, bedside cabinets, hairdryer, telephone and a workspace area. Free wi-fi access is also available.
A kettle was provided along with plenty of tea, coffee, Cadbury hot chocolate and Walkers shortbread biscuits.
The room was spacious enough for our needs, clean and decorated in shades of cream and brown.

The en suite bathroom was fully tiled and consisted of toilet, bath and overhead shower. Towels and little bottles of shampoo, body wash and bars of soap were provided. I used both the bath and the shower during my stay and both were fine with plenty of hot water.

The view from the window was lovely, overlooking the fields down to the coast to Bamburgh Castle which is lit up at night, and a beautiful sight. The hotel was very quiet and you could only hear faint traffic noise from the A1 if you had the window open.

Overall the room was very comfortable and we had no complaints. The room was cleaned daily and towels replaced, as were the tea/coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits.
There is a note in the information file placed in the room which contains useful info and informs you if you wish to stay an extra night, then contact reception and they will try to secure you a discounted rate. So it would seem that whenever you book here it is worth asking about discounted room rates as they will do their best to secure a good deal for you.

The restaurant and bar area has recently been refurbished and looked very cosy with its dark purple and white decor, hardwood floors and candles and floating flowers placed on the tables.
The bar area has the same decor with a large wall mounted flat screen TV, leather chairs, tables and stools.
Now I will mention here that the reason we opted to eat here was that we were both impressed by the decor of the restaurant, and also the fact that we had read a statement by the chef which was placed in our room with the menu. This stated that they pride themselves on providing high quality, well presented meals and an a la carte menu, using locally-sourced ingredients. The names of the local butcher etc were given which they use.
The menu was quite impressive, with starters, mains and desserts available. My partner had his eye on a dish of shelled mussels for starters which he saw someone else having, but opted for prawn cocktail instead.
He fancied the sea bass for main course but changed his mind again and opted for gammon, which was served with mushrooms, egg and hand cut chips.
Everything sounded tempting, and glancing around at the meals other diners were tucking into, they all looked lovely and well presented.
I opted for delicious home-made lentil soup, followed by pan fried chicken with rice, korma sauce and nan bread.
Our meals were well presented also, equal to any meal I have had in a 'posh' restaurant, served on separate little dishes and all cooked to order. Both meals were delicious and at £8.95 for my main course and £10.95 for my partner's, they were very reasonably priced! The starters were £3.95 and £4.95. We had no room for dessert!T he staff were very efficient and friendly, asking us where we were from and chatting about the area.

The coffee shop 'Cafe One' is also very nice and we enjoyed a few Latte's there during our stay. Meals as well as sandwiches, panini's, cakes etc are available 24 hours a day. My partner had an all day breakfast there one day and I had a panini with home made coleslaw which was delicious.
Overall the food served in both the restaurant and cafe is very nice and at reasonable prices.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, it was an ideal base for us, comfortable, quiet and the restaurant was fantastic. I would recommend Purdy Lodge to anyone visiting Northumberland.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jeffjen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belford
Doxford Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Eshott
Warkworth House Hotel
Warkworth House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Warkworth

Been to Purdy Lodge? Share your experiences!