“Brilliant Stay!!”

and 1 more site!
Market Cross Guest House
Ranked #1 of 13 Belford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed at this fantastic B&B for 2 nights at the beginning of Easter week.
What a wonderful find!
4 excellent bedrooms, all decorated with great care and attention to an exceptionally high standard.
Home-made flapjacks in the room every day, home made preserves and cooked fruit available at breakfast. Try the scrambled egg & smoked salmon with soda bread. Out of this world!!
We were made so welcome that we have already booked to go back later in the summer for a longer stay!!

Room Tip: All rooms are very well appointed and the local area is very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dorcus_8, Owner at Market Cross Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

I'm reminded of the old TV advert "I was so impressed I bought the company", Remington I think it was.
Anyway, it was lovely to see you and we are really pleased that we impressed you so much you wanted to come back so soon. The greatest compliments we ever have are returning guests and it will be lovely to see you again.
I would like to mention that part of what makes the scrambled egg so good is Amanda always asks how you like it cooked. We don't do one way fits all and if anything can be cooked in different ways then we ask rather than just do it the same for everyone. Food is important at Market Cross and we want you to enjoy it all.

There are newer reviews for Market Cross Guest House

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Returned after staying in this little gem for 3 nights. The bedrooms we had - Yellow & Blue - were very comfortable. Great location to explore the area. The standard of the food is excellent, between us we tried all items on the breakfast menu, a 3 course evening meal, home made cake & flapjack and all were very tasty. Amanda and Steve were very welcoming and very helpful with local information.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks Helen. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will come back to see us again and give us the chance to push some scores up to 5.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Just had two nights B&B at the Market Cross Guest House in the centre of the old market village/small town of Belford. The hosts are warm and welcoming and the bedrooms are very comfortable indeed. A good nights sleep was assured! There being only 4 bedrooms, it was lovely and quiet and not crowded at breakfast, despite all rooms being let. With advance booking of 48 hours one can also order an evening meal from several set menus (all on line). For us this was not possible as ours was a last minute short "getaway". However the area is not short of fine places to dine. Amanda and Steve (the owners) recommended the White Swan at Warenford just 6 minutes drive down the A1. We were not disappointed!
Guests are asked to choose breakfast the night before by way of questionnaire. At breakfast there was a standard choice of fruit/yoghurt/juice/homemade jams and marmalade as well as the pre ordered main cooked breakfast, all locally sourced: a full Northumbrian English Breakfast, kippers, salmon and scambled eggs, beans on toast (all bread home made and delicious), pancakes. Being coeliac was no problem for host/chef Amanda either with gluten free products available too.
There were nice room extras too, like a nespresso coffee maker, proper milk from a chiller cabinet, homemade flapjack and a wide selection of teas too.
The room had been refurbished, furnished and decorated to a high standard.
All in all, a really enjoyable stay and at £100 per night per couple (B&B, evening meal extra) excellent value for money and fully deserving of its 5 star award.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for this lovely, and long, review. We think you have pretty much covered the areas we are most proud of and are extremely glad you enjoyed your stay so much. The evening meals have proved very popular this year and it was a pity we couldn't fit you in but maybe that could be an excuse to come and visit us again one day.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed for one night on our way to Holy Island and could not have wished for a better start to our holiday. This is an excellent Guest House and we have nothing negative to say. The Red Room was lovely and spacious, the welcome so warm and the food was of a very high standard indeed. We enjoyed a delicious evening meal, followed by a really good breakfast in the morning. We have no hesitation in recommending this Guest House and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dorcus_8, Owner at Market Cross Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you for the review, it was our pleasure. Since starting to offer evening meals we have a had a great response and we think our menus are different to what other guest houses usually offer. We are always very grateful when guests comment on Amandas cooking as she puts considerable time and effort into everything she makes and having that acknowledged by our guests is a huge compliment.
We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Let me start by saying my one regret with this hotel was that we didn't stay longer.

I'm a Yorkshireman, and as such am easily pleased. A decent bit o' snap, a comfy bed and not having to pay through the nose for it and that's two thumbs up from me. I can honestly say that with all that being said I was thoroughly taken aback by the wonder of this little place which, a five-minute car journey from the North's Best-Kept-Secret of Bamburgh, is surely Belford and Bamburgh's Best-Kept-Secret! I am gutted and a little ashamed to say we didn't get time to spend time in the local village, which was just lovely to look at from the front door.

Upon arrival, I haven't felt more welcome outside of stepping into my own (or my partner's) family's front door. It's clear that nothing is too much trouble for Amanda and Steve; they don't just go the extra mile, they've gone to another time zone to make the guest's experience just that little bit special. Upon arrival we were shown to our room and invited to partake of complimentary drinks as well as homemade flapjacks and cakes (which are divine and you're daft if you don't indulge!) and a bed which can only be described as more comfortable than sleeping on a marshmallow. It is SINFULLY comfortable! I didn't know it was even possible to be so comfortable. On top of that they are quite happy to grant use of the courtyard if you just want to sit out and watch the world go by. There's a chiller in each room so you can BYOB and just relax in luxury.

If there is but one criticism to level (and I'm really clutching at straws here) it's that the electric showers aren't particularly powerful and take a little figuring out. Once you've got it though they're fine, and the items-you-forgot drawer is an absolute godsend.

Nespresso machines in the spotlessly clean rooms (when you look up the word 'immaculate' in the dictionary it should say 'See: Market Cross Guest House'. It really is THAT clean!), a view from our room (the Green room) to die for, and divine breakfasts cooked to specification. It is a trite comment to say there is 'nothing wrong' with something, so I suppose the better way to phrase it is 'faultless'. Because that's what this place is. I've stayed in a few hotels and guest-houses up and down, but in one night this not only made the top three of the ones I fell in love with, it instantly went to number one.

I'm sure anyone reading this and pricing up will be wondering what the catch is. There isn't one. They really are offering this little wonder of Northern England at that price, and it's worth every penny and more. Have you read this far and not booked yet? My fiancee and I look to be going back at the earliest possible opportunity.

Thank you, Amanda and Steve. We look forward to meeting you again really soon!

Room Tip: The hotel has four rooms, colour coded for your convenience. We stayed in the Green Room, which it i...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Really not sure how to respond to this one other than thank you so much for taking the time to give us such an amazing review.
A response like this is always one which will make us feel we are doing what we are supposed to be doing, which is giving our guests a comfortable, relaxing and worthwhile experience during their stay with us. I'm guessing that we got that just right for you and it was our pleasure.
I don't think I can address all the good points you have mentioned so I will just say that we try make all our extras relevant and useful and make sure they actually add something to the time our guests spend with us. We don't put things in a room just to make it look like your getting a lot.
Being comfortable, both the bed and the interaction with us is very important. You need to be able to sleep well after a big day out and you don't want us constantly appearing in the hall every time you are coming or going. If we think you aren't in the mood to chat then we will leave you alone until you do. Everyone is different and we don't get it right every time but all our guests are here to relax and we try to make sure that's just how they feel.
Your one criticism about the shower has been looked into and unfortunately I think it is simply down to how many guests are using the showers at the same time. I doubt many houses could cope with four showers all running at the same time and maintain full pressure. I will be having a word with our plumber though just in case there is actually a solution. And then we will implement it.
Once more, thank you for the lovely review and we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just had 2 days here, Wonderfully comfortable, warm hospitality. Amanda is a top chef and the food reflects this. Very warm and welcoming, home made treats of biscuits and cake plus your own personal coffee machine and fresh milk to put into your own fridge. Also a handy drawer full of the items you forgot to pack which was useful! Coffee machine and bottled water. Night cap of mead offered. Nothing to fault whatsoever, highly recommended to everyone considering a lovely top class guest house. We would stay here again as a first choice when visiting the area. Bliss. Steve and Amanda know exactly how to run an efficient and beautiful high class establishment and they do it extremely well.

Lady June B

2  Thank samm1958

Thank you for the review Sammy. I am always very happy when Amanda gets compliments on her cooking as she puts so much effort and time into making so much of what we offer to our guests. It's all part of making sure we give the level of service you expect and the little extra touches make it that much more enjoyable.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed at Market Cross as a birthday present for my mum, was not disappointed. Belford is perfectly situated to visit the many of Northumberland's stunning attractions and is a pretty little village with the usual friendly and helpful locals.
Amanda & Steve take hospitality that one step further, nothing is too much trouble and the extras that I have never experienced before such as home made treats and a night cap of sherry or mead is a really lovely touch.
Breakfast is truly an experience, not just a meal, the food is fresh, fab and you can have exactly what you want.
The room we stayed in had amazing views, was extremely comfortable and warm, & the coffee machine was a bonus.
I can't stress enough that this is an amazing place to stay and I can't wait for my next visit.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank June s

We got a WOW!
Thanks June, so glad you and your mum enjoyed your stay with us. We have very friendly people in Belford and they are always happy to talk to visitors.
It's a fine line between being helpful and being too intrusive and we don't always get it right but we like our guests to know we are always available if they need advice or information on anything. We try not to be standing at the bottom of the stairs every time a guest goes in or out.
Hopefully you be able to try an evening meal with us next time and we can WOW you with that as well. Look forward to seeing you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Belford
Doxford Hall Hotel
Dunstanburgh Castle Hotel
The Old Vicarage Bed & Breakfast
The Farmhouse Guest House
Post Office House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Market Cross Guest House? Share your experiences!