“Fantastic B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Clovelly House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berwick-upon-Tweed
Clovelly House
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

We arrived at Clovelly House on bikes, soaking wet after a day of continuous rain. Viv and Rocky could not have been more welcoming. The bikes went through the house to the back yard, and we and our bags were whisked inside with no concern for the state of the carpet. Our room had everything you could want. Breakfast was outstanding: we had cereals, fruit, fry up, toast and croissants, and that was just part of what was on offer.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nick d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
sunshine coast.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

WOW, wow, wow, What an amazing place run my a lovely lovely couple, thank you to Viv & Rocky. Everything had been thorough of to make all their guests comfortable AND MORE. A very warm welcome was waiting for us on that wet day, they explained everything on our (early) arrival. Viv went through all the maps of local attractions and the choices of restaurants and pubs that we might like to try. The bed was amazing with beautiful white linen and a chocolate on each pillow, a bowl of yummy toffee on the bed side table and a large box (yep BOX) of Cadbury chocolates on the end of the bed too. She had a great selection of tea, coffee and 3 kinds of biscuits! To add more, complementary bottles of water and in the bar fridge outside our door was complementary bottles of wine and beer! I was in heaven, to top this off there was a large bowl of fresh fruit and a lovely welcome card! My wife gasped when she went into the bathroom as all the toiletries were from Crabtree & Evelyn or John & Lewis, she said "oh cant we just stay here and not bother with going down to London" Now just outside the door was a small bureau with more tea & coffee, a microwave, plates and condiments (as well as the well stocked bar fridge) so guests could warm up any takeaway food. Now lastly the breakfasts, well our trip has been 10 weeks and this was the BEST place we stayed in, better than some of the 4 star hotels in Italy or even London, ah yes the breakfasts, well Rocky is in charge of the kitchen and an amazing selection of freshly made dishes like crab or fish cakes, smoked salmon and eggs and the largest English breakfasts in living history. I cant say enough or recommend this place enough, just look at all the other glowing reviews and just one whinging lass from Glasgow, boy she mustn’t get out much. A huge thank you to Viv and Rocky and we hope to be back in the near future and i will try and nail Viv down for that computer lesson we spoke of.

Room Tip: Anyone really, they are all great.
4 Thank ozteam888
Siegburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

An ardent supporter of all things British, I have toured the UK innumerable times and have thus stayed in hundreds of B&Bs throughout the last 20 years. Clovelly House is – by a long chalk – the unsurpassable cream of the crop of them all! It is a genuine jewel, a hidden gem, that I can sincerely and highly recommend to any visitor appreciative of first-rate accommodation in the lovely and historically attractive border town Berwick. The bedrooms are fitted with the utmost charm, style and above all loving care and attention to yet the smallest detail by the owner, the most charming and warm-hearted lady, Vivienne and her extremely pleasant and friendly husband Rocky.
From the very first moment we entered the house we were made feel at home. And after four nights of a thoroughly enjoyable stay we were bid farewell by Vivienne and Rocky just like old friends or part of the family.
The outstanding features of Clovelly House as experienced by us were as follows: Upon arrival in our spacious and most tastefully decorated bedroom we found a handwritten welcome card by Vivienne accompanied by a lovely box of chocolates sitting on our dressing table. Each and every morning an invisible fairy godmother placed a chocolate penny on our pillow, we received complimentary sparkling water bottles, further sweets like fudges and the like in little bowls as well as fresh fruit. And the breakfast – cooked by Rocky, presumably a four-star chef in his former life – was absolutely delicious, most substantial and rich in variety beyond description. I once had salmon, both smoked and fried with scrambled egg and the other day an enormous hearty full English or shall I say Borderer breakfast with black and white pudding (I never tasted white pudding before, yummy!), Haggis and Cumberland sausages.
They also offer vegetarian meals like goats cheese (mouth-watering!) and tomato, parma ham and mozzarella, all to order. Besides the fresh fruit selection is simply phenomenal – ranging from fresh strawberries (depending on season I suppose), melon to apple and blueberries. The same can be said for the huge selection of jams, bread and the high-quality cheese. All in all it was as though we were floating on a cloud.
My husband and I are both based in Germany near Cologne and we will definitely be back as soon as an opportunity presents itself. We wish Vivienne and Rocky all the very best of both German and British luck!! See you again!! Kindest regards and a big thank you for your superb hospitality!! Regine and Manfred

3 Thank Regine R
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

I found this hotel by chance on internet - what a find! Absolutely faultless. I could gush about everything, hosts, rooms, complimentary extras, and the breakfast - well I'm a good eater but I couldn't finish my platefull of delicious fry-up. Can't wait to go back, and hopefully it won't be too long.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ruth C
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

This was my third stay at Clovelly House, and I can only reitterate what I and others have said. What a wonderfull place, Viv and Rocky are the perfect hosts (yet again). I spent 10 days there, and I was loathe to leave the place. I can highly reccomend Clovelly to anyone who wishes to spend a few days in Berwick. Will definately go back there next year.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Martin B
Brighouse, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

What a place this is. Great price and hospitality that is out of this world. Loads of great little touches like a complimentary box of chocolates, complimentary wine & beer! Very comfortable room, the whole place has a very welcoming feel. Superb location bang in the centre of Berwick.
The breakfasts served up are unbelievable in both quality and quantity. They offer standard and a house special. We opted for the standard and the size of it was amazing! The chap next to us had the special and he was struggling to finish it. Hats off to Vivienne and Rocky for a top class place and if we are in the area again it will be our first choice for somewhere to stay.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

I used this hotel as a base for exploring Northumbria. The price was so good that I thought there was no way I was going to get a room there, so glad I did. The hospitality was second to none. The food was tremendous and the hosts were extremely friendly and helpful. I've recommended this place to friends already but think Clovelly House deserves a mention on here. I can only agree, totally with what has been written already.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo