“Just.... don't.”

Berlino
Scotland
“Just.... don't.”
Reviewed 14 August 2009

Should have been suspicious about the fact that there was absolutely nobody in this restaurant on a Saturday night. But it was near the B&B, the menu looked OK, so in we went.

We were just going to have main courses, but I noticed a "seafood platter" on the starter menu, and asked what was in it. "Eh... whatever he's got. Crab and stuff" was the reply. Now, I love crab, so I duly ordered it. My fella ordered a chicken dish - I think it was called "Northumberland chicken" or something - and I ordered a steak, and paid extra for a sauce on the side.

So, after a while, out comes the starter. My immediate comment was "looks like Mum's gone to Iceland". It was chunks of non-descript white fish in breadcrumbs, deep fried, and dumped on a bed of limp lettuce. I was expecting maybe some prawns, a couple of crab claws, that sort of thing. We just shrugged and giggled.

Then came the main courses. His chicken was OK, smothered in a creamy mushroom sauce. My steak was a bit overcooked, and the sauce on the side I'd paid extra for was, mysteriously, exactly the same sauce as was over the "Northumberland Chicken". Still, we were the only people in the place - can't expect them to make two different sauces, I suppose........

My fella complained I left too big a tip, but the waitress was friendly and did seem to try her best. I just hope none of the tip made it into the kitchen.

1 Thank DDootsie