“A lovely atmosphere for Sunday lunch”

Queens Head Hotel Restaurant
Cuisines: European
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Canada
“A lovely atmosphere for Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We arrived for Sunday Roast towards the end of lunch offering time, and were welcomed heartily into the restaurant. It wasn't very busy, but we were asked to wait in the bar area where our waitress took both our drink and food order right away while she prepared our table. We both ordered the beef which was generously portioned and served with roasted potatoes, a large yorkshire pudding and a dish of carrots, courgettes (zucchini) and parsnips. The meal was nice, although the potatoes were just slightly under cooked...and due to our late arrival, the pudding was very dry. However, the smoked haddock fish cakes we had as an appetizer were perfectly done, with a delicate interior surrounding by a light but crispy crust. For pudding, we had a homemade sticky toffee pudding with local ice-cream set in a generous amount of caramel sauce. We shared both the appetizer and pudding, which was easily done given the generous portion sizes.

The restaurant is very nicely decorated, and makes for a nice spot for a romantic evening or celebration meal.

• Visited July 2014
garrygreenaway, Owner at Queens Head Hotel Restaurant, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Many thanks for your constructive comments & pleased we made your Sunday lunch an enjoyable one. I have certainly taken your review on board. Sunday lunches can be hit or miss & it is very difficult for the chefs to now how much prep to do but I think its just the way our industry is know. Although I am not complaining.
The cost of a 2 course lunch is £12.95 with a good selection of starters, main courses & desserts which think is 'good value for money taking into consideration the produce we offer. Apologies if you thought our roast potatoes were slightly under-cooked & your yorkshire pudding were dry, I can assure you all our food is freshly prepared on the premises but I hope you can accept our apologies on this matter & it does not stop you from considering returning to us in the future if you back in Northumberland.

Northumberland
“GREAT FOOD AND SERVICE”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed at Berwick last week and had great meal at Queens Head.Second time we have eaten here and once again food delicious.Good choice of menu and the service by the two girls was first class.I would recommend anyone staying in Berwick to visit this restaurant.I will return next time for sure.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank saltpansjohnandkaren
garrygreenaway, Owner at Queens Head Hotel Restaurant, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Many thanks for your review & were pleased you return trip was as good as our first. I am slightly confused why you only gave us an average rating when all the break down boxes were ticked as excellent? Maybe its an error without you realising it.
It is also nice to know your service was of a good standard that evening from the girls. As mentioned from a previous review 'you are only as good as your staff' & in all honesty I have piece of mind that whenever I am not working the standards are maintained from al the girls. I sincerely hope these high standards can be continued in the future. Hope to see you again where your next dining experience can be as memorable as the previous two visits with us?
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
“Very good but not cheap.”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This place was heaving when we arrived but after about 10 minutes we were seated at a table. The staff were very friendly but the menu VERY limited if you were not a fish fan!!! They were prepared to make some changes to the menu but that did NOT stretch to making a plain sauce to accompany a meat dish. The cheese and biscuits was CH and biscuits as the portions of cheese were SO SMALL we nearly missed them, the price however for that dish was NOT SMALL. Overall quite a nice meal but not exceptional bearing in mind the pricing!!!

Visited June 2014
Many thanks for your constructive review Josephine & please accept our apologies if you thought our cheese & biscuits portion wee on the small side & in all honesty its not a compliant we have very often but I will look into this with the person who was designated to do desserts that evening to ensure this is a one off! I would like to think the price of our cheese board at £6.95 is reasonable but as mentioned apologies if you though it was on the smaller side.
In the review you mentioned the menu being limited, we generally offer 7 starters & 10 main courses which again I think is perfectly adequate because if their was more on offer, the chefs would find it difficult to get consistency on preparation & using fresh produce turn around needs to be at a level for the product to keep at its freshest.
We offer specials which predominately are fish which we get from the market but I can appreciate its a fine line to try to please everyone. This would probably change depending on the season ie game in late Autumn.
We hope if you decide to return to the area you may give us another opportunity where we can exceed your expectations & you leaving happy content & thinking that we offered 'good value for money'. Let's hope so.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Good food”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Nice atmosphere, good service, great choice, good value. Ate there twice and enjoyed everything we had.

Visited July 2014
A big thanks for your kind words Jeannie & nice to know you came back for more punishment! lol On a serious note though its nice to know that customers residing in the area on holiday return to dine with us, this sometimes shows that were offering a dining experience that people enjoy. We are not the cheapest but we like to think we offer 'good value for money' but I suppose everyone has their own interpretation of this.
Hope to see you again in the future if you decide to return to his beautiful part of Northumberland.
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We ate here on 2 consecutive nights. Drinkies first in the small contemporary bar area, then at the table we were welcomed by a jug of fresh water (quite unusual these days without having to ask) and a selection of artisan breads. 1st night I had fresh asparagus with crayfish & cream pate - yummy - followed by Doddington lamb which was some of the BEST lamb I have ever eaten, the man had crab cakes and then devoured beer-battered fish & chips. He said the chips were THE BEST and I was only offered one to try. My accompanying vegetables - all for me - were delicious too, mustard-grained coated parsnips, paper thin courgettes, carrots & new potatoes. Nothing was heated-up it was all totally fresh and hot. 2nd night was similarly good. Can't comment on desserts we were too stuffed to try! Garry the owner served at table and his staff had a relaxed & friendly manner, not stuffy and not too casual and even the younger staff seemed to know and spoke about the food which was lovely too. Smashing place, Berwick is a better town for The Queen's Head, well done Garry & team. Highly recommend.

• Visited June 2014
garrygreenaway, Owner at Queens Head Hotel Restaurant, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
A big thanks & appreciate your comments Patsyann but not sure we deserve the sort of accolade you are giving us? I generally am my own worst critic & I am always looking on ways on how to improve our business but we are most happy we ticked all of your boxes. Sometimes the proof is in the pudding for guests to return.
We work closely with the accommodation providers in the town so feedback is paramount. Being in a small town recommendations are also important which again helps our business significantly. Its also nice to see the pictures that you took posted onto the site, so any potential customers can see our concept. Our aim has always been to let the food do the talking & we are fortunate to have a good team around us.
The old cliche 'your only as good as your staff' certainly bares some truth. Again many thanks for taking the time out to take pictures & your complimentary review. I will pass on the comments to my staff.