“Great lunch here”

Queens Head Hotel Restaurant
Cuisines: European
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were staying at Wooler & busted for the day. Great service & staff. We sat outside as the weather was so nice.

garrygreenaway, Owner at Queens Head Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Many thanks for your comments Coral & it;'s certainly pleasing that your spontaneous visit with us was an enjoyable one. All being well if you return to the area, you know where to find us?
Regards Garry

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We arrived just wanting a snack for lunch but the menu looked so good we both chose venison. It was beautifully cooked (we had specified how) and arrived garnished with a wonderful apple relish. The cappuccino cheesecake was delicious but we wished we had shared one portion between us.The staff were friendly and made some really helpful suggestion for the rest of the day. This was by far our best restaurant experience during a week in Northumberland and we would certainly have returned had we discovered it earlier in our stay.

Many thanks for your kind & endearing words dmc. Were more than happy to receive your glowing report & I will personally mention this to all our employees. The old saying 'you are only as good as your staff' certainly bares some truth.
All the boxes were ticked & to say that your visit with us was your most enjoyable throughout your vacation in Northumberland is high praise indeed.
All being well we hope to see you again if you return to the area & fingers crossed we can deliver just as an enjoyable as this one.
Many thanks again Garry

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited this restaurant because of the reviews we have read ... how we regret doing so .... our meal was awful suffice to say we found it all pretty tasteless as to what one would expect from our past experience of eating elsewhere the same meals . I had venison that I had asked to be well cooked . it came very pink and barely hot covered in what was supposed to be a chutney of sorts , it was all uuurrggh ! The only thing I could enjoy was the alleged home made chips , then again I cook better myself , a selection of leafy salad and a tomato which was bitter to the taste ...my companion had what can only be described as tasteless mush piled on a plate of which much of it was left uneaten as the different fishes were indiscernible ... such was our disappointment we skipped sweet and instead ordered hot drinks , one was just about cold the other too hot to drink ............ The staff were friendly enough but that did not nor will not earn a good review . It’s the food we wished to enjoy and we certainly did not . We found the dining area of the interior were we were seated to be very dark and it felt very pokey ... i am at a loss to understand the recent good reviews this restaurant has received, one can only hope today was a one off for if this is to be the standard of other local eatery’s then we shall certainly stay in our accommodation and cook for ourselves and that isn’t what a holiday is supposed to be about . As for the prices, had the food been of a higher standard I would have been happy to pay those . As it is we feel for what we received we were ripped off... all things considered we won’t be recommending this place nor giving it more than the one star we have ... sorry not happy to give such a scathing review as I know some people do their best , on this occasion that was not anywhere near good enough .

1  Thank tercwc1

Thank you for your constructive & in depth review.Firstly please let me start by apologising with regards to your unsatisfactory visit with us. To say I am personally upset & embarrassed is an under statement & I am not one to go on the defensive when I receive a negative review. I will certainly take on board your comments & with intention will do my utmost to avoid such a negative review again.
Having spoken to all my employees no member has mentioned a complaint & in truth we would have liked & preferred you to mention on the night so we could have had an opportunity to rectify the problem rather than the condemning review.
I am confused reading your review as we seemed to get everything wrong which again does worry me. Reading your comments you had asked for the venison to be well cooked, which unfortunately we only offer medium rare this being with loin is a very lean meat & the meat will just become tough. You also mentioned the fish pie was not to your colleagues satisfaction again time & effort is taken from our chefs to prepare the dish from making our own fish stock etc.
All in all I could go on trying to defend the business but that would only contradict your comments & hopefully any potential customers will read your review & my management response & make their own decision.
In truth it is difficult to please everyone which I accept & customers are entitled to their own opinions but any prospective customers can see from previous reviews we normally offer continuity, consistency & in general all customers leave our hotel happy & content. All being said & fingers crossed we can continue to provide this in the future.

Reviewed 9 October 2018

We stayed here for a week recently and enjoyed it so much we will be coming back. Our room was very comfortable, we thoroughly enjoyed our breakfasts and evening meals, and the staff were lovely, and did all they could to make our stay enjoyable. Although the hotel is just off the centre of Berwick we weren't disturbed by traffic noise. Roll on our next visit,

garrygreenaway, Owner at Queens Head Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Many thanks for our review Liz but in truth I think you have put 2 reviews one on this site & one on the hotel site. Will certainly take the praise though!! lol thank you & as mentioned look forward to seeing you both again on your return next year. Thanks Garry

Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

For such a superb building and delicious advertised sample menu this does not deliver. The scallops were cold and venison main course dry.

garrygreenaway, Owner at Queens Head Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Many thanks for your constructive review Laura & please accept our apologies that your dining experience was not to your satisfaction. We certainly take negative comments on board & obviously after reading this I asked all members of our staff could relate to a complaint regarding your experience unfortunately too no avail.
At present we offer an a la carte menu & also a specials menu which changes most regularly, hence using local seasonal produce. In truth I would have appreciated on the evening if a dish was not to your satisfaction, we could have had the chance to rectify the problem or offered an alternative dish rather than posting a negative review.
It's surely in our interest whilst dining with us that all customers leave more than happy & content. Obviously we make mistakes but again in truth it;s how you deal with the compliant or issue that sometimes customers take on board & from our perspective show some compassion & care & all we ask for is a opportunity to rectify the problem or maybe you didn't want to make a complaint.
Maybe I'm just trying to explain to any future customers who are not satisfied with their chosen dish whilst dining with us, please give us an opportunity to rectify the issue.
Again please accept our apologies Laura. Garry