“Fab food dog friendly ”

Queens Head Hotel Restaurant
Cuisines: European
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 October 2018 via mobile

We visited here on the strength of it being a dog friendly lunch time spot. We are so glad we did the food was delicious and the service very friendly. Well worth a visit if your in the local area.

Date of visit: October 2018
garrygreenaway, Owner at Queens Head Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2018

Many thanks for your comments lazytoad & it's certainly pleasing to know that you managed to find a dog friendly restaurant who can offer good consistent local produce but also welcome's man's best friend with an offering of dog treats. Here's hoping you know where to return to if your passing through the area again. Regards Garry

Reviewed 17 October 2018

Just around the corner from our B&B we discovered this restaurant on our last night in Berwick. The food was just delicious and very plentiful. My wife had Venison Liver to start and Duck Breast for mains - both were perfectly cooked and delicious.
Highly recommended.

Date of visit: October 2018

Thanks Jonathan for your kind comments & we appreciate your mention of delicious & plentiful food.
In truth we try to offer as much seasonal local produce as possible at customers perception of' value for money'. I can appreciate this does differ regarding each persons opinion but generally reading back on other reviews our past customers were more than happy & fingers crossed we can continue to provide this for the future?
Consistency is everything in a small town & recommendation, referrals & word of mouth certainly go a long way to achieving this especially in the winter time when you are reliant on locals as our town is very seasonal.
Hopefully we may see you again in the future if you decide to return to the surrounding area.

Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

We were staying at Wooler & busted for the day. Great service & staff. We sat outside as the weather was so nice.

Date of visit: October 2018
garrygreenaway, Owner at Queens Head Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2018

Many thanks for your comments Coral & it;'s certainly pleasing that your spontaneous visit with us was an enjoyable one. All being well if you return to the area, you know where to find us?
Regards Garry

Reviewed 14 October 2018

We arrived just wanting a snack for lunch but the menu looked so good we both chose venison. It was beautifully cooked (we had specified how) and arrived garnished with a wonderful apple relish. The cappuccino cheesecake was delicious but we wished we had shared one portion between us.The staff were friendly and made some really helpful suggestion for the rest of the day. This was by far our best restaurant experience during a week in Northumberland and we would certainly have returned had we discovered it earlier in our stay.

Date of visit: October 2018

Many thanks for your kind & endearing words dmc. Were more than happy to receive your glowing report & I will personally mention this to all our employees. The old saying 'you are only as good as your staff' certainly bares some truth.
All the boxes were ticked & to say that your visit with us was your most enjoyable throughout your vacation in Northumberland is high praise indeed.
All being well we hope to see you again if you return to the area & fingers crossed we can deliver just as an enjoyable as this one.
Many thanks again Garry

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

We visited this restaurant because of the reviews we have read ... how we regret doing so .... our meal was awful suffice to say we found it all pretty tasteless as to what one would expect from our past experience of eating elsewhere the same meals . I had venison that I had asked to be well cooked . it came very pink and barely hot covered in what was supposed to be a chutney of sorts , it was all uuurrggh ! The only thing I could enjoy was the alleged home made chips , then again I cook better myself , a selection of leafy salad and a tomato which was bitter to the taste ...my companion had what can only be described as tasteless mush piled on a plate of which much of it was left uneaten as the different fishes were indiscernible ... such was our disappointment we skipped sweet and instead ordered hot drinks , one was just about cold the other too hot to drink ............ The staff were friendly enough but that did not nor will not earn a good review . It’s the food we wished to enjoy and we certainly did not . We found the dining area of the interior were we were seated to be very dark and it felt very pokey ... i am at a loss to understand the recent good reviews this restaurant has received, one can only hope today was a one off for if this is to be the standard of other local eatery’s then we shall certainly stay in our accommodation and cook for ourselves and that isn’t what a holiday is supposed to be about . As for the prices, had the food been of a higher standard I would have been happy to pay those . As it is we feel for what we received we were ripped off... all things considered we won’t be recommending this place nor giving it more than the one star we have ... sorry not happy to give such a scathing review as I know some people do their best , on this occasion that was not anywhere near good enough .

1  Thank tercwc1

Thank you for your constructive & in depth review.Firstly please let me start by apologising with regards to your unsatisfactory visit with us. To say I am personally upset & embarrassed is an under statement & I am not one to go on the defensive when I receive a negative review. I will certainly take on board your comments & with intention will do my utmost to avoid such a negative review again.
Having spoken to all my employees no member has mentioned a complaint & in truth we would have liked & preferred you to mention on the night so we could have had an opportunity to rectify the problem rather than the condemning review.
I am confused reading your review as we seemed to get everything wrong which again does worry me. Reading your comments you had asked for the venison to be well cooked, which unfortunately we only offer medium rare this being with loin is a very lean meat & the meat will just become tough. You also mentioned the fish pie was not to your colleagues satisfaction again time & effort is taken from our chefs to prepare the dish from making our own fish stock etc.
All in all I could go on trying to defend the business but that would only contradict your comments & hopefully any potential customers will read your review & my management response & make their own decision.
In truth it is difficult to please everyone which I accept & customers are entitled to their own opinions but any prospective customers can see from previous reviews we normally offer continuity, consistency & in general all customers leave our hotel happy & content. All being said & fingers crossed we can continue to provide this in the future.