“A Perfect Night!”

Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom
“A Perfect Night!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have recently hired the Border Function Suite to hold our Sixth Form Leaver’s Prom and as the majority of other reviews are with reference to staying in the hotel I thought that I would highlight Marshall Meadows’ other strengths. With friendly staff and beautiful scenery if you’re looking for somewhere to hold your next big event I would highly recommend their Border Suite. The whole evening was perfect; everyone commented on how much they enjoyed themselves and we were made to feel very welcome. The staff were wonderful; nothing was too much hassle and the food was delicious. It definitely was a night to remember. I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HLM_18

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I'm writing this review as I advised a friend of mine to stay at Marshall Meadows recently and they took note of only the bad reviews on Trip Adviser and decided against it.

My colleague and I were lucky enough to stay here as part of a trip taking 12 carers away for a break last year. All 12 of them still rave about it. It was a fun and relaxing break for each person there and every single one of the 12 have told me that they were made to feel special and very welcome and, in their eyes, would all give it more than 3 stars..

The rooms were excellent, the staff were very attentive and friendly and couldn't do enough for us. The food was gorgeous and the owners David and Robert were lovely. I would not hesitate to thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Some of them are reputed to be haunted - so ask if that appeals to you :-)
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Suzy586
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed as a large family group and from the moment we arrived the staff were helpful, polite and happy.
There were 11 of us staying, 6 adults, 5 children (aged 14 down to 4) and 2 dogs.
Our rooms were clean and fresh. The hotel is so pretty, the building itself along with the grounds are an absolute pleasure. The staff made sure we got exactly what we wanted to eat and went out of their way to make sure we could eat as a group comfortably.
As the hotel had lots of people staying and we wanted to eat in the bar with the dogs, space was an issue for our big group so the staff opened the conservatory for us to eat in. As it was a special celebration for us, mum and dads 70th, it made the family evening feel more intimate and more special. Everyone enjoyed their meal, the dogs were brought water and after tea the children played chase on the expansive lawn. It was a very relaxed evening and the whole family were made to feel very welcome and the children really enjoyed themselves.
Breakfast was excellent, once again the staff were great. My husband and myself got married here almost 16 years ago and it still has the perfect country charm. Couldn't recommend it enough. I'm sure we will be back.
Just to add that you can join the coastal walk at the back of the hotel that runs right along the coast line. Spectacular views. The area is stunning with lots of walks and things to see and do.
Perfect!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pedl0w
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

|I was delighted with the peace and tranquillity of this hotel.The staff were friendly and welcoming and couldn't do enough for you. Everything was provided for your needs in the room and the bathroom was a delight! I thought the breakfast was exemplary-I even tasted the fresh honey-mmmm!
But I was delighted to be able to take my dog who was made as welcome as myself! He rewarded me by behaving beautifully.

Room Tip: The room I had was closer to the sea than I believed and because of the lovely weather the window wa...
1 Thank cheapandcheerfu2014l
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at the Marshall Meadows Hotel for the third time last weekend but this time we spent 3 nights not just one. All the staff were once again really welcoming and couldn't do enough for us. David took us around the grounds to show us what improvements they have already made and what they are planning over the next few years. The accommodation is comfortable and the food is excellent. We took our annual walk along the cliff top into Scotland which is less than a mile away. All in all a great place to stay if you like a nice quiet country hotel with good food and service.

1 Thank BMA_10
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I had read mixed reviews with regard to this hotel.... I am pleased to announce that my partner & I had a lovely overnight stay last night!
When we arrived the grounds & building looked stunning, the grounds smelt of wild garlic....on entry to the country house hotel - there was a strong smell, like that of an old peoples home... Maybe some plug in air freshener may be worthwhile.... It possibly something to do with the age of the properties or some of the old/antiques in the building..

Our room was clean & comfortable with a lovely unusual four poster bed. Room 12.. The hotel itself could do with some modernisation/updating, however it was not offensive, just old fashioned & dated.

The lounge & bar were both comfortable & inviting. The staff couldn't do anymore to make you happier.. Complimentary coffee & shortbread biscuits are served in the lounge.

The restaurant- WOW.. The food was fantastic! I strongly recommend the scallops starter & the Seafood platter for Two for main course... Drinks were not too badly priced, a bottle of prosecco £22, however a few of the residents were mocking the plastic wine coolers that resembled catheter bags from hospitals... The hotel is very oldy worldy so these bags didn't fit the scene too well.

Breakfast was perfect!
I will most definitely return to this lovely hotel.

For dinner bed & breakfast with drinks our bill amounted to £204 for one night.. I'm looking forward to returning to sample some more of the delicious cuisine provided by the well run restaurant.

Room Tip: Even if you do not stay the night, you must try this restaurant.
1 Thank Jo S
Scotland
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

My partner had booked a romantic 3 night stay at this hotel for us! His booking was based on his knowledge of location and his attendance at a wedding 4 years ago! Expectations were high but within minutes of entering the hotel those expectations sadly came crashing down! Can!t fault the welcome by owner David and receptionist Tracy, We were given the key to our room which we struggled to open as key would not go fully into lock! Room was dated and bathroom was shocking! There were broken tiles under the sink, bath had been patched and the shower curtain was disgusting! It was solid with dirt at the bottom and was covered in mould! General cleanliness was not of a high standard! Paintwork was patchy! Television in room was tiny and bed was small too for a double! When we complained quietly and privately to owner David he told us the room had just been painted so he thought it was fine but did apologise for the shower curtain! He did offer us another room...... " his best in the hotel" which was a 4 poster bedroom in the annexe wing of hotel! The first thing that hit us was the foosty smell. Again cleanliness was an issue, grout between tiles was black and there was a thick layer of dust on top of the bed! Again room was very dated! We decided to leave at this point as we felt for the price we were paying did not reflect the standard offered in the hotel! I appreciate David did try to resolve the issues but he didn't appear to recognise some if the issues pointed out! Marshall Meadows needs a lot of money spent on it and I appreciate it's a work in progress but it doesn't excuse the dated and duty rooms we saw! We didn't eat in the hotel so can't comment on the food! Not sure where all the excellent reviews have come from as they seem to have been in a different hotel to us! I do not write negative reviews lightly but I was so disappointed and shocked with this hotel that I felt I had to! We won't be back and sadly I would not recommend it to anyone

• Stayed May 2014
6 Thank gaelicgirlScotland
BerwickDavid, Owner at Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thankfully it is only very rarely that we receive such a negative review. Indeed only this week Marshall Meadows was awarded a Trip Advisor 2014 certificate of excellence. The hotel was also inspected by Visit England Quality in Tourism who had no hesitation in confirming our 3 star country house hotel status. We try incredibly hard to make our guests happy and comfortable. I can honestly say that I have never come accross such an extreme reaction to not just one bedroom, but also a four poster suite, which incidently is neither dusty nor smelly. Having said that, there are improvements that we can make and we are not complacent. I don't doubt that this lady was genuinely disappointed and we will of course have a full examination of all the points that she has raised.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berwick-upon-Tweed
Queens Head Hotel
Doxford Hall Hotel
Doxford Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chathill
Tillmouth Park Country House Hotel
Tillmouth Park Country House Hot...
#1 of 2 in Cornhill-on-Tweed
Purdy Lodge
Purdy Lodge
#1 of 1 in Belford
Kings Arms Hotel
Kings Arms Hotel
#23 of 46 in Berwick-upon-Tweed

Been to Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!