“Lovely long weekend”

Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Alsager, United Kingdom
“Lovely long weekend”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Lovely old house in great position in nice grounds.
Owners and staff went out of their way to assist and were very friendly and welcoming.
Room was great and faultless.....the shower over our corner bath was brilliant.
Food was very good and a nice bar area and lounge.
Would disagree about remarks suggesting the place needs updating...........décor and furnishings fit this elegant old house.
Glad we went and would go again if in that area

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Weston
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I booked a 2 night stay by phone with David who very friendly and helpful. However the email confirmation was incorrect and it took 2 more phone calls to get it amended. The actual booking was correct but I wanted the correct reservation shown in the email just in case there was a problem when we arrived. I also booked the restaurant but there seemed to be no record of this. The hotel was once a private home and clearly had been very beautiful. It is a little shabby now and clearly needs an injection of cash, obvious signs of leaks on the ceiling in the lounge for example. When we entered our room and put the lights on the bedside lamp bulb blew and none of the lights would work in either bedroom or bathroom. The problems was resolved after about 10 minutes but David asked if we would like the bulb replaced. We thought this an odd question but assumed he meant right away so we said there was no rush as we were going to the bar for a drink. However despite staying for 2 nights the bulb was never replaced. The rooms were clean but for the price rather out-dated, the bathroom was basic but the over-bath shower was powerful and hot. The bed was rather lumpy and pillows thin. My son's room had a very strange smell despite the window being fully open. On the plus side the staff were very friendly. We had dinner on the first night and our waitress was excellent (wish I could remember her name). Two of our party had steaks which were fabulous, beautifully presented and also a very good reasonably priced wine. Breakfast was abundant and also excellent. Unfortunately we got charged twice for dinner as the receptionist at check-out "just assumed" we ate in the restaurant both nights, but once I realised the error (luckily before we drove off) she rectified that matter and refunded my credit card.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed at Marshall Meadows on my way to Scotland, perfect location to break the journey and spend some time exploring Berwick upon Tweed. From the moment you arrive at this hotel you are made to feel special, wonderful warm welcome at Reception. The room was spacious and very clean with wonderfully comfortable beds after a long journey. Breakfast was lovely with a freshly cooked full English/Scottish including haggis all served piping hot. But to me what made this stay special was the staff, who are without doubt some of the most friendly and helpful people I have had the pleasure of meeting in my travels. A full 5 stars for them. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit Northumberland or as a stop off on a longer journey.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Janet C
Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have recently hired the Border Function Suite to hold our Sixth Form Leaver’s Prom and as the majority of other reviews are with reference to staying in the hotel I thought that I would highlight Marshall Meadows’ other strengths. With friendly staff and beautiful scenery if you’re looking for somewhere to hold your next big event I would highly recommend their Border Suite. The whole evening was perfect; everyone commented on how much they enjoyed themselves and we were made to feel very welcome. The staff were wonderful; nothing was too much hassle and the food was delicious. It definitely was a night to remember. I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HLM_18
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I'm writing this review as I advised a friend of mine to stay at Marshall Meadows recently and they took note of only the bad reviews on Trip Adviser and decided against it.

My colleague and I were lucky enough to stay here as part of a trip taking 12 carers away for a break last year. All 12 of them still rave about it. It was a fun and relaxing break for each person there and every single one of the 12 have told me that they were made to feel special and very welcome and, in their eyes, would all give it more than 3 stars..

The rooms were excellent, the staff were very attentive and friendly and couldn't do enough for us. The food was gorgeous and the owners David and Robert were lovely. I would not hesitate to thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Some of them are reputed to be haunted - so ask if that appeals to you :-)
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Suzy586
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed as a large family group and from the moment we arrived the staff were helpful, polite and happy.
There were 11 of us staying, 6 adults, 5 children (aged 14 down to 4) and 2 dogs.
Our rooms were clean and fresh. The hotel is so pretty, the building itself along with the grounds are an absolute pleasure. The staff made sure we got exactly what we wanted to eat and went out of their way to make sure we could eat as a group comfortably.
As the hotel had lots of people staying and we wanted to eat in the bar with the dogs, space was an issue for our big group so the staff opened the conservatory for us to eat in. As it was a special celebration for us, mum and dads 70th, it made the family evening feel more intimate and more special. Everyone enjoyed their meal, the dogs were brought water and after tea the children played chase on the expansive lawn. It was a very relaxed evening and the whole family were made to feel very welcome and the children really enjoyed themselves.
Breakfast was excellent, once again the staff were great. My husband and myself got married here almost 16 years ago and it still has the perfect country charm. Couldn't recommend it enough. I'm sure we will be back.
Just to add that you can join the coastal walk at the back of the hotel that runs right along the coast line. Spectacular views. The area is stunning with lots of walks and things to see and do.
Perfect!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pedl0w
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

|I was delighted with the peace and tranquillity of this hotel.The staff were friendly and welcoming and couldn't do enough for you. Everything was provided for your needs in the room and the bathroom was a delight! I thought the breakfast was exemplary-I even tasted the fresh honey-mmmm!
But I was delighted to be able to take my dog who was made as welcome as myself! He rewarded me by behaving beautifully.

Room Tip: The room I had was closer to the sea than I believed and because of the lovely weather the window wa...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cheapandcheerfu2014l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berwick-upon-Tweed
Travelodge Berwick upon Tweed
Queens Head Hotel
Queens Head Hotel
#1 of 3 in Berwick-upon-Tweed
Tillmouth Park Country House Hotel
Tillmouth Park Country House Hot...
#1 of 2 in Cornhill-on-Tweed
Purdy Lodge
Purdy Lodge
#1 of 1 in Belford
Kings Arms Hotel
Kings Arms Hotel
#27 of 46 in Berwick-upon-Tweed

Been to Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!