“Great meal on a horrible evening!”
Review of El Taperio - CLOSED

El Taperio
Cuisines: Moroccan, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: El Taperio welcomes you to come and try our twist of spanish/ moroccan food. All freshly cooked and authentic, Head Chef is from morocco and moved to spain at a young age to cook, hence the fusion of cuisines. Open daytimes for coffees, cakes and lunches & evenings for evening meal. Offering a range of Tapas, tagines, Paellas and other dishes typical of these 2 Beautiful countries.
West Calder, United Kingdom
“Great meal on a horrible evening!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Looking for somewhere in Berwick for an evening meal and after being told somewhere else that they were fully booked we found ourselves on Bridge St and tried our luck at this busy looking restaurant and I am very happy we did! Smashing meal (one starter and two mains more than enough) and great customer service by all the staff who even stopped us for a chat the following day when walking in the sun and not dodging the summer downpour. We would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

• Visited August 2014

Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom
“disappointing :(”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We went early on Saturday evening as have walked past it numerous times and fancied giving it a go........afraid to say I won't go back. Good variety of food but too much spice used in everything, so much so I couldn't finish my tapas mix as I couldn't actually feel my mouth to enjoy the taste of the food. (Unfortunately made my husband very ill during the night it was that spicy) The paella however that my son had was beautiful. Thought it was very pricy aswell for tapas.... certainly not worth the bill we recieved I am afraid.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Vix1305
York, United Kingdom
“High hopes but disappointed”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The restaurant is on one of the nicer streets in Berwick and looked promising. The combination of Moroccan and Spanish cuisines seemed intriguing. The menu is mixed and had a mixture of tapas style Spanish and a few Moroccan standards. My son had the three tapas, my wife the risotto and myself a lamb stew. It was a lamb stew with a hint of paprika, reasonably tasty but with too much dried out couscous. it was pleasant but not remarkable. My wife was silent about her dish, never a good sign and kept adding pepper and salt. She admitted afterwards it was bland. My sons tapas style dishes were probably the best of the bunch but once again lacked seasoning.
The service was pleasant and friendly but the gin and tonic came with soda water instead.
Not a great meal I'm afraid.....

• Visited August 2014
Canada
“Makes your tastebuds come alive!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

On holiday in England, I eat my fair share of fish & chips and roast beef. But sometimes you just need to spice things up a bit and eat something with richer, mouth-watering flavours. If you are in Berwick, this is the place! While technically we didn't eat in the restaurant, we did get to eat both the seafood paella and chicken & chorizo paella one evening. The staff had set up a booth on the quay at the annual Mouth of the Tweed Festival. When we learned the restaurant itself would not be open that evening, and after watching the chef deliver pans and pans of fresh paella to the quay, we just had to indulge. It was delicious! I only hope when I am next in Berwick, this restaurant is still there and I can indulge in some of the other offerings on the menu. From the number of people I saw in the place each evening I passed by, it should still be there for years to come.

• Visited July 2014
Todmorden, England, United Kingdom
“Good stuff”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

When we entered El Taerio at 7pm we were only one of two tables in use...by 7.30 the place was heaving. I had lamb kofta and my wife opted for the chicken and chorizo paella, both great!
We had a bottle of rose at £14.50 which left a lot to be desired but overall the meal was very good.
On looking out the window across the road you could see the Audela restaurant...empty!
We would recommend El Taperio...but maybe not the rose!!!

• Visited July 2014