Loaf B&B
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Berwick-upon-Tweed
See available hotels
Queens Head Hotel(Berwick-upon-Tweed)
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Berwick upon Tweed(Berwick-upon-Tweed)
Eye Sleep Over(Eyemouth)
View Hotel
The Collingwood Arms Hotel(Cornhill-on-Tweed)
The Castle Hotel(Coldstream)
St. Vedas Hotel(Coldingham)
View Hotel
All reviewsvegan foodlog firesoy milkcool boxbocker gloryhot water bottlesfree toiletriescooked breakfastpain au chocolatbed was super comfysweet pancakesbird feederspolentadelicious homemade breadparfaitevening dessertvegan friendly
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stopped at Loaf for 2 nights with my husband after hearing such good reviews from 2 separate friends who stopped there. My expectations were exceeded in every department!

Location
The location is very easy to find and situated in the peaceful countryside which guaranteed an undisruptive nights sleep. We had stunning views from every window in our room and from the library, lounge and conservatory. We were so fortunate to see resident Hare Hartley twice and resident Pheasant Freddie too. We took trips to Edinburgh, Berwick and enjoyed the beautiful Northumberland coast road. You have use of other rooms in the house and we took advantage of chilling in the living room with the blazing fire watching the local wildlife. Free wifi too.

Room
We stayed in a double en-suite room which has very large, light and spacious. The bed was super comfy and the bathroom included a large corner bath and shower. Included extras are the delicious home made ginger biscuits, water, hot drinks facilities (so many tea bags and other drinks to select) and soya milk of course! Lovely smelling toiletries were in the bathroom and lots of nice extras like hot water bottles, blankets etc. Beautifully decorated, easy to use TV, choice of books, just really cosy and lovely. Spotlessly clean too!

Amazing food! For breakfast we had the cooked breakfast (home made Tempeh and sausages, cooked mushrooms and tomatoes, scrambled tofu beans, home made bread and preserves for toast and a choice of cereals, drinks etc. So tasty and filling. On the second day I had a knickerbockerglory style breakfast which included 2 different types of yoghurt, granola, fresh fruit and a coulis. We also paid extra to enjoy a 3 course meal every night which included starters of soup with home made bread, mains of tofu,mushroom and broccoli tart with salad and stuffed butternut squash with salad (these were amazing and describing it simply undersells how delicious they were) and desserts of fresh fruit and cream tart and a chocolate pot with fruit, coulis and lemon cream. I was soooooo happy with the food we even bought packed lunches for the next day. When I say packed lunch forget your average rubbish, I'm talking Innocent fruit smoothie or Alpro milkshake, Smoked tofu salad / vegetable tart, delicious sandwiches, fruit, chocolate and fruit nut slice etc etc All home made organic deliciousness

Hosts
Karen and Michael are wonderful friendly hosts. We often became lost in conversation with Karen and would spend hours chatting. Both are very welcoming and always laughing and smiling which made the perfect atmosphere. They went out of their way to ensure we were happy at all times and often went online to show us things we could do and show us the maps we needed.

Overall
We are so impressed with the people, place and food we are going to come back for a longer stay and spend some time visiting the area but keeping 2-3 days to loaf around the b&b chatting to the wonderful hosts. I would highly recommend to all my friends and family. Perfect for loafing around in a home from home, perfect for those wanting tasty healthy food and those wanting some peace and quiet. No negative points other than we can't move in and stay permanently.

Room Tip: Double en-suite is amazing
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sjmarr
Loaf b, Owner at Loaf B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you, & apologies for the long delay in responding on here to your really lovely, glowing review! (Thanks too for your fab reviews elsewhere online!) :)
We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us - lovely to meet you both & we enjoyed chatting with you too - lots of fascinating stuff.
Thanks for taking the time to give such an in-depth review - it's really helpful for prospective visitors & great feedback for us.
So pleased the hare turned up for you (just as you were speaking about it too - like a conjuring trick! :D ) & you enjoyed the views, fire, comfort & the space.
Thanks for your rave reviews of the food, it's a pleasure to cook for you :) I'll message you the ginger biscuit recipe.
Once again, thanks for your generous comments - it's a real pleasure to welcome such happy & enthusiastic guests :)
Thanks so much for supporting Loaf & sharing your experiences & we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Best regards, Karen & Mike, Loaf b&b.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I finally got the time to sample Karens fantastic afternoon tea. Never had complete vegan before ... Always had some sort of dairy involvement... But the knickerbocker fruit sunday plus a pot of herbal tea did not disappoint. Great venue, great service, great food. I will be back ...

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Alypsally123
Loaf b, Owner at Loaf B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for this lovely review! (& sorry for the long delay in replying..)
So glad you enjoyed your Loaf Lunch - & you have indeed been back! For more BreakfastBockerGlory :) Always lovely to see you - thanks so much for supporting Loaf & look forward to seeing you again soonish! Best regards, Karen & Mike, Loaf b&b.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Beautiful location, wonderful rooms with very calming decor, booked an evening meal which I would recommend as the food was delicious. "Loafed" about that evening in front of a real log fire. In the morning breakfast was served in a conservatory with fantastic views over the surrounding fields with a bird's eye view of the local wildlife. My only regret was not staying longer!

Room Tip: Bag the en-suite room!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank MichaelaAltman
Loaf b, Owner at Loaf B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thank you, we really appreciate you taking the time to write your lovely review of Loaf! Lovely to meet you all & so glad you enjoyed everything. We hope to welcome you again in the future :) Best wishes, Karen & Mike, Loaf b&b.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

My mum and I went along to Loaf for an afternoon teas event as neither of us are vegan and were interested in trying something new. Karen was extremely welcoming and we sat in the conservatory, watching all the wildlife in the garden, and having a friendly chat. It was very relaxing and we were able to enjoy beautiful views across the countryside. I was impressed with the menu as there was a wide variety of sweet and savory options and it took me a while to decide what to have. Mum had fruit cake and I had dark chocolate cheesecake and we both had berry smoothies. Everything was delicious! The cheesecake came with vegan ice cream and I would never have guessed it was diary free. We were able to have a look at the B&B rooms upstairs and they were very cosy and nicely decorated. I will not hesitate to recommend Loaf in the future as both the food and rooms were fab. Karen could not have made us feel more welcome and we were free to relax and try what we wanted. I can't wait for the next afternoon teas event, I want more of that cheesecake!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank JHS82
Loaf b, Owner at Loaf B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your fab review of Loaf's Afternoon Teas! Lovely to have you & your mum visit us. So glad you liked the vegan goodies! We look forward to welcoming you for more cakes again soon-ish! :D Best wishes, Karen & Mike, Loaf b&b.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

What a delightful spot Karen and her partner have for their B&B and the double room I had was really bright and spacious and even stocked with hot water bottles! I had everything I needed for a night away to rejuvenate myself and particularly appreciated the roaring fire in the guest lounge and the views from the cottage - all the way back to Berwick itself and farmland aplenty all around. The breakfast was hearty and fresh and I felt like I was staying with friends, it was so relaxing!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank IMJ72
Loaf b, Owner at Loaf B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thank you for leaving this lovely review - it's always a nice surprise to see we have a new TripAdvisor review! (& you've just bumped us up in the ratings - thankyou!)
We're really pleased you were comfortable & enjoyed everything - & glad all the extra little touches came in handy. Glad you had chance to relax. It was a pleasure to meet you & hope we see you again some time. Good luck with your plans..! Best regards, Karen - Loaf b&b.