“A must do if you are visiting Berwick upon Tweed”

Town Hall and Town Gaol Berwick upon Tweed
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I rate this as the number one attraction in Berwick. A fascinating tour of the Town Hall with a knowledgeable and friendly guide. There was so much more to the tour than my wife and I had been expecting. There are 2 tours per weekday and it is worth making sure that you fit in a tour during your stay in Berwick. As I said to the guide at the end of the tour "That was the best value £2 I have spent in a long time."

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

For £2 you can spend an hour learning the history of Berwick and actually touch and see exhibits only on Monday - Friday 11 am and 2 pm. Enter the side door and go upstairs. Don't miss it. The old cells had to be the highlight

Reviewed 23 June 2014

only open mon to fri so we were lucky. Michael our guide was so very friendly and the information and stories he has are second to none Fantastic

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I called in just for a coffee and the staff were good enough to bring it out to me whilst I sat outside. You can get snacks and light meals there too. A lovely atmosphere

Reviewed 30 May 2014

What an interesting tour of this civic building. A hidden gem in the heart of Berwick. We turned up at 10.30am, no booking, and spent the next 90mins being shown around by an enthusiastic curator, who was proud to show us the town's heritage.
The top floor jail with its reinforced floor and walls really gave an idea of what the condemned prisoners experienced. There were plenty of authentic artefacts and photos too.
The bell tower contains a peal of 5 working bells which were being rung while we were there. The only other Town Hall in England with bells is Manchester, with a full set.
I can thoroughly recommend this visit, and at £2 per person, it's a real bargain.

4  Thank Joan T