“Wonderful”

Kings Arms Hotel
Peterlee
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Fantastic stay in a fantastic hotel with fantastic restaurant and staff. Perfect from arrival to leaving, room was ideal and high standard for a 3 star hotel, bathroom was lovely with bath and shower over. Breakfast was more than adequate but the staff just made the whole experience even more enjoyable. will definitely be back, again and again.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank tonilawson5
Kings A, General Manager at Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to leave us some feedback from your recent stay with us.

It makes us very happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, all of the staff at the hotel and restaurant work very hard to ensure we provide our customers with a pleasant and memorable visit to The Kings Arms and hearing such fantastic feedback is incredibly rewarding.

I am very pleased to hear that the staff here were able to make a difference to your stay and we all look forward to your next trip to see us.

Kindest Regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Peterlee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed 2 nights here over Valentine weekend and I have to say we were highly impressed from the moment we entered Berwick. The hotel only made a weekend in a beautiful town more special, granted it doesn't look much from outside and you could actually miss it due to no signage but once inside we couldn't have wished for more for the price we paid. Staff, perfect, room, gorgeous, breakfast, delicious, Limocello's to die for, at practically takeaway prices. The hotel has been extensively refurbished with a few rooms left to be finished, ie the cocktail bar which I assume will be fab. We will absolutely return, time and again given the chance. Thankyou to all the wonderful staff who really made us feel extremely welcome and that nothing was a bother, we are very grateful for the fantastic hospitality you showed us.

1 Thank Tonilawson
Dear Guest,

On behalf of myself, the staff at The Kings Arms Hotel and Limoncello restaurant we thank you so much for leaving us such a wonderful review.

We're thrilled that you enjoyed your 2 night break with us. We strive to provide all of our customers with a comfortable and memorable stay and we're so pleased to hear that all of our hard work is paying off - you're kind words mean so much to us all.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future - by then I am sure the cocktail bar will be up and running.

Kindest Regards,

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed for two nights in a Superior Double Room on the 13th & 14th of Feb. On arrival we struggled up several really steep steps with our luggage while the young man off reception just stood by the door and didn't offer any help.
The room has recently been refurbished and was lovely and very large. The down side was the bathroom which was beautiful but very cold all the time so you couldn't stay in there too long.
On our first night it was rather windy and our bedroom window rattled and banged all night. We had to get up several times to shove pieces of paper into cracks to try stop it. We ran out off paper and had to use the do not disturb sign, it didn't stop it all together but it was better. We did complain about it the next morning as we were left shattered due to it, We were told there was nothing they could do at the moment. So we had managed to live with it and put some more paper in!
Breakfast was lovely and the young man cooking it was very nice.
Our second night was worse than the first night unfortunately! firstly we had a meal in the lemoncello restaurant, it was set out lovely for valentines but when the starters came they were on old looking plates and neither matched, We both chose steaks my husband had fillet and i chosen sirloin both with sauces chips and veg. They were served on wooden boards with the sauce already on the meat which went cold in no time. The chips were an awful colour and soggy, the veg was in a small old looking burnt dish and was dried up. My sirloin was mostly fat i tried to catch the waiter to tell him but it was so busy and we were in the overflow room that we couldn't get to see him until at the end of our mains. We did sort it at the end of night but it still spoiled our night.
We returned to our room to retire and the toilet was broken and it wouldn't stop flushing the water was constantly running, the young lady did come up and try to mend it as it had happened in another room but she couldn't do it. So at 1130pm we had to get some things together and walk down the corridor in pj's to another room which we didn't mind too much as it wasn't the girls fault the loo broke. We were woken at around 1am with someone running past our room and shouting then banging their door only to come out of their room ten minutes later and stand outside ours again shouting. I opened the door to ask if they could try keep it down only to be confronted by a rather young and very rude man and his girlfriend. after i closed our door one of them decided to stand knocking on our door. when we opened it to see we got another lot of abuse and the man got rather aggressive towards me. We rang down stairs and the young lady on reception said she had given them a warning as she had heard a lot of noise from them and they had gone down and said they were going out to eat at that time of night!!!!
It left us rather shook up and worried about what they may do on their return! We did hear them return very noisily and slamming their bedroom door twice just for effect i think. Needless to say we got very little sleep that night AGAIN!!!!!!
We had to get up the next morning and look out to make sure no one was about and go back to our old room in pj's to take a shower and get dressed. We went down to breakfast and felt rater scared in case the rude young couple were there and started again. Needless to say they were still in bed. The young girl on reception i think her name was Alex was really nice and tried to help! but we left there feeling worn out due to 2 nights of hardly any sleep. So what started out as a good value for money break, left us feeling like it was an expensive waste of money! as we were too tired to do much walking and exploring of Berwick on our first ever visit there.

Room Tip: Not room 6 unless window is sorted!
1 Thank COLH321
Kings A, Manager at Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for leaving us a review of your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear that you were left disappointed and very tired after your 2 night break with us.

I'm really very suprised to hear from you that the member of reception staff apparently did not offer any help with your bags as he is always the first member of staff to offer assistance to guests with heavy luggage. We also have a second entrance to the building which completely avoids any steps which is under the archway on the right side of the enterance - I'm sorry that you missed this.

Thank you very much for your compliments of the room you stayed in, it's always nice to hear good feedback from our recent refurbishment. I have passed your comment regarding the cold bathroom onto our maintenance team who are currently investigating ways to recitfy this issue.

I can only apologise for the disturbance on your first night, this problem only occurs when it is windy and obviously we don't have any control over the weather outside. However it is our responsibility to ensure that our windows are not affected by the wind - our maintenance team have been informed of this and are scheduled to make necessary repairs as soon as possible. As we do not have an on site 24hr maintenance team we were unfortunately unable to offer a permanent fix at the time of your stay which I sincerely apologise for.

I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast - your compliments have been passed on to our chef.

I have forwarded your review of your meal at Limoncello on to the restaurant manager. Limoncello more often than not receive amazing feedback from their customers and hearing that you were left disappointed is very disappointing to us also. I do apologise that you did not enjoy your experience.

I must apologise for the disturbance from fellow guests staying in the hotel. The guests which you refer to in your review as you know were confronted about the noise they were making who were very apologetic towards myself and ensured me that it would not continue however their version of events were slightly different but of course there is 2 sides to every story. Again I sincerely apologise for the fact you were disturbed. The only thing I can say in defence of the guests causing the distruption is that the doors in our hotel are very heavy and they do slam therefor I do not believe that any slamming of doors was intentional. We will certainly be looking at ways to minimise any disruption from slamming doors.

I do apologise for the toilet in your room breaking down at the very last minute - I understand the frustration and inconvenience that this caused especially as you were tired from the night before. If I remember correctly I did offer to attempt to contact the plumber for assistance but it was yourselves who asked to move rooms & asked if room 7 was vacant and moving did not appear to be a problem.

I am truly sorry for the issues that occured during your stay with us and I am very disappointed that you were left disappointed with your stay with us. We take everything you have outlined in your review into consideration and will carry out whatever repairs or changes needed in order to avoid these problems reoccuring in the future.

Here's hoping you would be willing to come back & give us another chance.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed at the Kings Arms on my Birthday/Valentine’s day weekend. We were greeted by a very friendly member of staff. She was very helpful and informative and gave us some fantastic recommendations of where to go & where to eat. Our room (Room 7) was gorgeous and very clean! The room has been refurbished to an extremely high standard, better than some 4*+ hotels I have stayed in in the past. The bed was huge, super king size, super comfortable with lovely soft linen, and could have laid in bed all day long. Bathroom was lovely, spotlessly clean & huge. Bath water could have been a bit hotter but that’s just personal preference. Ordered breakfast to the room which we didn’t wait very long for, breakfast was delicious and very generous portions. If you are looking for high standard, clean, comfortable accommodation with the most lovely, helpful staff then this is definitely the place for you. Overall we had a fantastic stay at The Kings Arms and we most definitely be returning in the future.

• Stayed February 2014
Kings A, Manager at Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for leaving us such a fantastic review.

I am thrilled to hear that we were able to provide you with a clean, comfortable and memorable stay. We strive to provide exceptional customer service and hearing that we were able to provide you with a memorable customer service experience makes us very happy.

We have spent a lot of time and effort over the last year or so making drastic improvements to our hotel and hearing such fantastic feedback from guests is more rewarding than you could imagine.

We look forward to your next visit which I am sure will hopefully top your last stay with us as we are dedicated to continue to make improvements throughout 2014 to ensure that our hotel is the best that it can be.

See you again soon!

Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Using a wowcher deal made this 2 night break excellent value for money. Would still consider staying in Kings Arms even without wowcher deal. Excellent location to see Berwick, recently refurbished rooms, cocktail bar opening soon in hotel and ate twice in the fab reasonably priced restaurant Limoncello. Can park outside the hotel free after 6pm but need to move car about 8am to car park just down the street where you can park all day for £2.50. Breakfast was good but could have been hotter. Overall enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Room 21 on 2nd floor very spacious and overlooked the Main Street opposite the Foxtons, bit noisy at...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Kings A, General Manager at Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for taking time to leave us a review of your stay with us over last weekend.

I'm happy to hear that you would be happy to come and stay with us again, keep an eye on our website and social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter where we frequently run special offers & promotions which I'm sure will come in handy for when you would like to come and stay with again.

Really pleased to hear such good feedback from your experience at Limoncello, the restaurant team thank you for your kind words and positive feedback.

I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your breakfast although it could have been hotter, we will be making improvements to our heat lamps in the kitchen very soon to avoid this affecting our future guests. Thank you for letting us know.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Castle Douglas, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Central location. Just been renovated to high standard. Really good value Italian restaurant on site. Would recommend it for a short break. Easy reach for Lindisfarne and St Abbs's Head. Bar not open yet, but bar seats in restaurant.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Kings A, Manager at Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to leave us a review of your recent stay with us.

I'm really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as your trip to Limoncello restaraunt, your compliments, as always, have been passed on to the restaurant team.

The bar will be opening very soon which I am sure will be ready for if (hopefully when) you wish to come and stay with us again.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I hadn't expected to stay at the Kings Arms Hotel, hence the title if this review. Parking outside was easy, the room was spacious, smart and had my favourite kind of bed - large, comfy, delicious linen. Also, great pillows. The bathroom was also smart, fresh and clean, with a god shower. All the accommodation was clean, smart and warm - clearly recently refurbished. The restaurant didn't quite match the accommodation in terms of aspiration; the decor was weirdly cluttered, the tables wobbly and the place settings a mix up of Costa crockery, candles in bottles and cheap cutlery. However, the service for dinner was friendly, prompt and helpful. My steak Diana was delicious, as was the house Merlot. Breakfast was slightly hit & miss - some of the menu items were missing, service was slow, the room lacked atmosphere. Overall a very pleasant stay, and happy to recommend, even if just for the lovely room.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Kings A, Manager at Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking time to leave a review of your recent stay with us.

We're so happy to hear such fantastic feedback regarding your room, your compliments mean a lot to us.

Thank you for also taking time to review your experience at Limoncello, we have informed the restaurant team of your comments who will take your feedback on board.

As mentioned in a previous review response, the hotel have only recently taken over the responsibility of breakfast service & we will continue to make improvements and provide a better breakfast experience for our guests. Your feedback will help us to do this. I can only apologise for the missing breakfast items and the inconvenience this may have caused.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.