All reviews small hotel fresh fruit biscuits venison real ale lovely hotel hotel restaurant public car park lasagna comfortable beds attention to detail kippers an evening meal twin room stayed one night lovely room warm welcome
Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

Further from Station than anticipated but on the plus side nearer to the pubs we wanted to explore and the start of our walk. Did not use restaurant but menu looked good and heard excellent reports. Served one real ale. Very comfortable stay with an excellent breakfast.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
garrygreenaway, Owner at Queens Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Many thanks for your review Clive & it's pleasing to know all the boxes were ticked on your recent stay with us & it certainly makes a difference having a breakfast freshly prepared & cooked rather than on a hot still. Let's hope we see you in the future if you decide a return visit to the area.

Reviewed 14 June 2018

Although a very old building, rooms are smart and comfortable, a very nice bathroom in room 6, with an excellent shower. The street outside is busy during the day but is quiet at night, I slept well.

A good breakfast, I would have liked some porage at breakfast but this is not on the menu.

Evening meals were very good with with plenty of choices..

This is not the cheapest hotel in Berwick but bear in mind good food and bedrooms..

It is about about a 20 minute walk from Berwick Station if you have light luggage, this is all downhill so uphill on the way back.

I would stay again and maybe I will get some porage at breakfast!!

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
garrygreenaway, Owner at Queens Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Many thanks for kind comments & we are more than happy to here everything was to your liking. Great to hear you slept well & in truth it is surprising considering our location how quiet it is through the night. Breakfasts are made to order unfortunately this takes time but we prefer this than breakfasts served under a hot lamp. Just a note to say we offer porridge throughout the year all you need to do is ask the server & again we will do it to order.
I certainly take on board your comments regarding tariff prices but thankfully we are not a chain & we try to provide a personal touch rather than a characterless building.
Fingers crossed we hope to see you again in the future all being well.

Reviewed 9 June 2018

So, before I booked here I checked out the stellar ratings on trip advisor and was impressed. Perhaps the expectations of the UK and US travelers are different, because what I encountered did not correspond with the reviews (which I note are all from UK travelers). So I'm reviewing it from the standpoint of the U.S. traveler. Let me start with the positives. The staff was quite helpful and friendly. The shower in the room was well designed. The room was just OK, but to be fair, this is a town that seems to be seriously on the decline, so I think this is as good as it gets. The bed was small by American standards. Perhaps we should have gotten a room with twins because two tall people could not comfortably sleep in what was provided. The stairs to the top of our room were very steep and the hallway was not well lighted. For older folks, I think this should be taken into consideration as the fall risk is high. The carpet in the hallway was dingy and looked as though it had not been vacuumed or shampooed in quite some time. The room however, was clean. There is a cabinet over the sink in the bathroom and whoever designed it did not take into account that one would bang into it when trying to wash one's face and brush teeth. Very odd. I banged my head twice before I got a clue. There are two toilets in the hotel room portion that service the bar and restaurant area and there was a chemical smell emanating from them both days we were there. The food in the restaurants was adequate. Nothing gourmet here, but this is after all England. What one got was average English food. The breakfast was fair. I think it's the best place in town, so I would recommend it for a night or two. Frankly, there's not a whole lot to do in and around Berwick, so walk the walls, cross the causeway, go to see the gardens at Earl Grey property and move on.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank wandaMPa
garrygreenaway, Owner at Queens Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2018

May thanks for your constructive comments wanda & firstly let me apologise that we did not meet your expectations. Although I worked on all sessions whilst you resided with us, you seemed more both than happy with what our hotel provided & in truth we are slightly dismayed that you did not mention this to us in person rather than through social media.
Our intentions & professionalism is always to try & ensure that all guests have an enjoyable & pleasant stay wether it's dining or residing with us to either hopefully return or mention to family & friends.
Reading over your review I do feel that you had formed an opinion of the hotel prior to staying & I agree that although we are a listed building, we try to portray an honest reflection on our web-site so it's clear for potential customers to see ie. size of the rooms & beds etc. . The rooms are in fact of different proportion of size in comparison to America's large room this being down to the vast area space of the country but in truth everyone one has their own interpretation & reading your review sadly we fell short of yours.
With also reading your review you also mentioned our food was fair this including dinner & breakfast with this I would have to reply in 'we do not try to be something we are not' & try to let the food speak for itself & to cater for all our guests needs thankfully without the pretentiousness
I think it is unfair for you to make comments on regarding the town & the surrounding area as this is steeped in history with normally many foreign people being complimentary.
It seems your overall opinion of everything fell short but guess it's 'freedom of speech' & you cannot please everyone but it's not for the want of trying from our perspective.

Reviewed 4 June 2018

Struggled on Friday, 1 June 2018 to find somewhere to eat in Berwick. Called in to the Queens Head Hotel. We were immediately welcomed, seated and served with a drink and presented with the menu. The restaurant was busy but we were seated promptly. My husband had salmon and I opted for Lasagne. Both dishes were cooked to perfection. Iced water and a selection of Italian breads on the table. What a lovely evening. The staff were hard working and attentive. There is nothing I could fault. It's not the cheapest place to eat but you pay for the quality. It is value for money. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: June 2018

Many thanks for your kind words Juline & nice to know you appreciated the little touches ie bread & water etc & in truth it's appreciated from our side that customers give recognition of this.
I understand everyone has their own interpretation of 'value for money' & with this, it's pleaseing to know that you that everything ticked the boxes. Fingers crossed we may see you in the future.

Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

Nicest pub in Berwick , tastefully decorated with superb service and excellent food. The pub is situated near the fort walls in the old town which is far nicer than the town centre. I would definitely recommend and will be back hopefully.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
garrygreenaway, Owner at Queens Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2018

Many thanks for your kind words free spirit & it's nice to know everything was to your satisfaction & fingers crossed next time you return we can deliver an equally enjoyable experience. Thanks Garry