“Great staff ... terrible place!”
Review of The Cottage Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dunstan Village
The Cottage Inn
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Thank goodness we'd only booked one night! The bath wasn't clean, the water was tepid and the loo didn't flush, so we had to move rooms. There was no hot water in the new room or bulbs in the light over the bed. The only bayonet ones in the hotel so no spare bulbs! We only had tepid showers the next morning as well. Evening meal was fine and the lady in charge was v friendly and apologetic and we weren't making any sort of fuss, anyway. When we came to pay, in the absence of the owner, she did not feel able to make a reduction but talked to a family member who said to knock £15 off. This made it the same price as other places in the area which would have had the expected facilities. Emailed the owner to express my concerns but have had no reply so posted this ... I have never put in a complaint about a hotel/inn before but feel people need to be warned!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ROSIE1234341

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

I spent Christmas at the Cottage Inn. The pub was well decorated and the staff were friendly. My room was clean and perfectly adequate although I suffered with the cold when the heating decided to go off a couple of times. I was told a temperamental boiler! Food in the pub was excellent although the portions were enormous - do have the small options unless you have a large appetite. However I was very disappointed with the Christmas meal. A HUGE portion. Too much turkey on the plate, a rasher of bacon completely undercooked, soggy roast potatoes, half an apricot (?) and a Yorkshire pudding!! And then another plate of completely overcooked vegetables. Such a shame. But otherwise I would recommend the Inn ... but not for the Christmas lunch.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Chrissie J
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I spent a great weekend here, Walking the fantastic beaches with simply unbelievable views. OK so the rooms could do with refreshing, but they are clean and serviced daily. The food was fantastic, the staff were so friendly, the atmosphere created by mixing with the locals was superb. dont listen to the negative reviews on here you can't please some people can you?

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thebroons_7
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We recently enjoyed a fantastic week in Northumberland staying at Larch Cottage, a property which adjoins the Cottage Inn. We found the Inn to be truly welcoming after long days exploring this magnificent county and it's stunning coastline. The staff were both warm and friendly whilst the beer and food were excellent during our stay (mid October). Of equal importance was how welcome our dog (Freddie) was made to feel by both staff and locals. If you have a dog and enjoy long walks amidst stunning scenery you could do far worse than stay in this locale where both you and your furry friend will have a great time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Allen H
Reviewed 26 October 2013

With others I was booked in here by our walking holiday company. Whilst it was somewhere to stay at least, I wouldn't have chosen this place. It is a cross between a motel and a pub and doesn't do either particularly well. The staff try, but it's difficult working with such uninspiring material. Food OK and breakfast very average.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank bluewalrus750
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Just had a great weekend at The Cottage Inn. Unusual to find a dog friendly hotel that isn't a dump. We had a nice room close to exit so that the dogs could be walked easily in the large garden.
Great evening menu and breakfast was more than plentiful. Fresh fruit, cereals, choice of breakfasts including kippers.
Plenty of beautiful scenery and lots of places to visit. Beach close by.
On top of that there is also live music.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tony K
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Upon arrival we were shown to our room which was big enough and clean, We took the dogs with us so were a bit worried about the state of the rooms, but they were airy and clean. Breakfast was a faultless full English for me and boiled eggs for my wife, but plenty of choice. Evening meal was top quality pub grub, I had haddock and chips, my wife hot pot. The best thing by far though is the atmosphere the bar was bustling with locals and tourists all getting on and enjoying the atmosphere, the dogs loved their stay. All in all a 1st class stay

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Bensonandbarney

Been to The Cottage Inn? Share your experiences!